Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NO trip report--Paris and Provence trip canceled.

Jun 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
hax
Original Poster

We were supposed to leave today.

After five months of feverish research, happy dreaming, slavish studying of this board day and night, and, of course, booking and paying deposits for 12 days in Paris and Provence with my husband and two teen girls, we have had to cancel our trip.

My sweet little Mom, 88 years old, had a heart attack on Wednesday. She is in the hospital, alert and comfortable, but somewhat unstable--more so because of her kidneys than her heart .While at first I received enormous pressure from her and my dad to go go go on our trip, (this was supposed to be a high school graduation gift to our daughter, and my poor Mom felt so guilty) I knew in my heart I could not leave her. My family of course is disappointed, but supportive.

Paris will still be there, right? And Provence, which we've never seen?

Many thanks to all who answered my questions so graciously, especially Stu Dudley, Underhill, Morgan B and PB Provence, and to the many, many Fodorites whose trip reports and advice I studied.

We were able to cancel only two of our four our hotels without penalty. (And I'm still having trouble with Venere--their website will only allow me to cancel one of the two rooms we booked). United takes $100 per ticket to put my miles back. And I lost more than 300 euro for our non-refundable PREMs which I had already printed.

About $1500, gone.

I am more than happy with my decision.
But as much as I enjoyed planning for this trip (with your help), anyone who says getting there is half the fun ... is wrong.

Thanks again.

Jun 12th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Sory to hear about mom- best wishes!
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I am so sorry to read of your news. It is so stressful to have a parent in the hospital even if they are improving. I hope your mom will be feeling much better shortly.

Keep after the airlines and hotels (and tell them of your situation.) The hospital can provide a form stating you need to be here for your mom.

Good luck.
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Hax, you have a great attitude...no bitterness, just being a sweet daughter. You will get many opportunities to travel, but you may never know how many opportunities you may have to spend with your parents.
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM

And, hax, what a great model you are to your own children!
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
P_M

Oh, hax I am so very sorry for this news!! First and foremost, I wish you and your family the best, and a speedy recovery for your mom.

Secondly, I know how it feels on the day you were supposed to leave for a trip that didn't happen. Last year I organized and planned a trip to Egypt for me, Dad, and stepmom. We were to leave Jan. 21, 2006. I was so excited because finally my dream trip to Egypt was in the works. But when both my husband and I were placed on layoff notice, I had to cancel. (weird co-incidence, we didn't even work at the same place!!) Dad and stepmom carried on with the trip at my urging. I'm glad they went, but my heart was heavy on the day I was supposed to go.

But like you, my attitude was this: Egypt has been around for centuries, it will still be there in a couple more years when I'm able to go. By the same token, Paris and Provence will wait patiently for your arrival.

As for your decision to cancel, you followed your heart and you did the right thing.

If you would care to hear the happy ending to my story, DH and I both found new jobs, so our traveling days have resumed. And so will yours when times are better.
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:39 PM

My sympathies, and best to your mom.

I have twice had to cancel long-planned trips abroad due to family member illness. It is only recently that Travelex insurance began offering trip insurance that covers family medical emergencies (not merely personal medical emergencies). I was surprised to discover they now do, so I pass along the information to others reading along here.

Even though you lost money now, it is better that you didn't go and not enjoy it -- because then you would have been spending even more money for nothing. France is forever, and keep watching for those air sales. Maybe you can go sooner than you think.

Jun 13th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Hax, best wishes that your Mom recovers fully and quickly. You and your supportive family definitely made the right decision.

Paris and Provence will wait and welcome you when your family is ready.
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
hax
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your kind wishes for my Mom's recovery. I don't know why this showed up twice on two forums, but I will reply twice just in case. My mom is doing okay--a little more stable, but she may face dialysis.

Yes, I know I made the right decision--and I am lucky to have HER as my Mom.

Le Mas de Carassins was able to rebook my rooms, so they waived the penalty. The Le Sainte Beuve was kind enough to reduce the cancellation fee from two nights to one (For two rooms). People have been very kind.

I hope to stay with both of them in the future.

Thanks again,
Hax
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM

I'm sure you're getting plenty of info from your mother's doctors, but this ICU nurse can't help but mention that sometimes people need dialysis only temporarily as it can take quite a while for the kidneys bounce back. I hope it won't be needed at all!

Jun 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
hax
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathryn, that's good to know. They did not tell us that.
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I don't know how it works in the States, but here in Canada we have RBC travel insurance that would have covered all of those non-refundable amounts. Is that kind of insurance available? Purely a curiosity question - I'm studying to be a travel agent. My best wishes to you and your mom.
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Sorry - just noticed the post about Travelex insurance. I thought I read all the replies but I guess I missed that one.
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
twk

My sympathies to you. I also had to cancel a long-planned trip (to Scotland) scheduled for Tuesday when my travel partner fell off a counter-top and suffered a spiral fracture of the right leg. Now, instead of making my packing list and last minute travel arrangements, I'm trying to get verification of the injury from the doctor so that I can get paid by Travel Guard, and having to split time with my mother caring for my bed-ridden sister.

If it's any help, speaking as the travel partner who could have made the trip, it's not too hard to make that decision to cancel because you know your trip will be affected by feelings of guilt if you don't. Good luck to your mother, and I hope you get to reschedule that trip sooner rather than later.
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Hax, I am really sorry to hear that. I was in a similar situation in early 2003 when my mom became ill, hospitalized, came home too soon, entered a nursing home, was transferred back to the hospital, and stayed there 3 weeks and had a surgery while there. Once she was out of the woods, and back in the nursing home, I made a planned trip to Rome, which was part freelance business part pleasure. A few months after she returned home, my dear father died very suddenly. I have never for a moment regretted postponing that trip, despite the urging of friends to let my siblings "stand in" for me. It was the right thing to do, just as you know now that what you're doing is the right thing to do. My argument was that Rome is the Eternal City, so it should be there eternally, and I did make it back there, of course. I knew as much as I love that city, I loved my mother more. My trip was insured, and covered the cancellation of a trip for the hospitalization of a family member, so I only lost 1 night's deposit at Casa Howard. You are a loving and appreciative child to your mother. It is disappointing, but no trip in the world, no matter how fabulous, will ever compare to the needs of a loved one.

I lost my mom this past March 21st. I'm going to Capri and back to Rome in September, and I'm going to drink a toast to her memory in each of those places.

Many good wishes for your mom's complete recovery,
BC
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Hax

I would cancel my trip too if My Mom was in the same situation. I hope She's doing well, and I have you on My Rosary for tonight's prayer.

BC I'm sorry to hear about the Loss of Your Father. I too lost My Father/Best Friend 5 years ago and the pain is still overwhelming. Not as bad as it once was, but still very hurtful. And Father's day coming up, well I'm regretting that Holiday. In fact I didn't think I'd ever feel again. I didn;t think Love like that would enter My Life again, UNTIL My Daughter blessed My Life with a New Best Friend, Alyce Semone! My first Grandchild and I'm over the Moon about Her and When She's sleeping and Her little mouth is open She looks just like My Dad. God works in Mysteries ways. Sorry, I can;t see past the tears Gotta Go...God Bless Hax and BC.
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM
hax
Original Poster

Bookchick and Theresa10, I am so sorry for your losses. Even though my Mom is 88, I can't bear the thought of losing her.

And twk, you're right--it is an easy decision to make to stay--for yourself. It seems so clear. It's all the other people telling you to go that make it so hard. Sorry about your trip, and I hope you get to reschedule soon.

As for insurance, I did look into it--not closely enough, apparently. The only kind I found covered illnesses of the travelers and deaths of the family.

Thanks to all for their kind thoughts.

My mom is doing okay, moved out of Intensive care, but her doctor said she may have to go on dialysis (not temporary) as soon as tomorrow.