Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   no train to bayeux from paris :( need car and clueless (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/no-train-to-bayeux-from-paris-need-car-and-clueless-1009401/)

thereadbaron Mar 24th, 2014 12:07 PM

no train to bayeux from paris :( need car and clueless

Hello...apparently there's construction in May, and I can't get from paris to bayeux by 1230 when our normandy tour starts.

Now I'm stuck renting a car. I know nothing about this. It's really just for the day. That said: do they have like enterprise here "well pick you up" or do I need to go to an off airport locale? Do I take the extra insurance? Is there a preferred company? I'm at a total loss. Need for May 15 and returning the car I guess in the morning the next day. Thank you!

StuDudley Mar 24th, 2014 12:27 PM

www.kemwel.com

Is there train service to Caen or anyplace close where you can pick up a car???? There is generally a car rental location at the train station at every medium sized or larger city in France.

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Mar 24th, 2014 12:48 PM

Here are two choises
1. Pick up a car in Paris & navigate in & out of Paris during rush hour (each way) and then on to Bayeux. Without any traffic (not likely in Paris) it's a 3 hr drive.

2. Take the 8:08 TGV from Paris to Le Mans, that arrives at 9:03. Rent a car and drive to Bayeux - it's a 2 hr drive. Last train returning to Paris is at 22:22 - hourly departures until then.

I would do the latter.

Stu Dudley

kerouac Mar 24th, 2014 01:18 PM

When there are no train services for any reason, the SNCF provides buses to cover the route.

PalenQ Mar 24th, 2014 01:25 PM

Yes I was going to say that but was not sure - unprecedented to close down a main rail route - you will be able to get there by bus and train any day in May I would suspect except some holiday perhaps.

I'd email your tour and tell them your predicament - they would know about replacement buses.

treble Mar 24th, 2014 01:35 PM

We drove there easily from the airport, (stopped in Rouen first for a brief visit and lunch) Here is where we stayed, it was very nice, especially the breakfasts. Also you can park there....
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Normandy.html

FrenchMystiqueTours Mar 24th, 2014 01:46 PM

There appear to be trains to Bayeux on May 15 but if you look at the schedule you'll see where the price is normally shown it says "Non ouvert", which I assume means tickets haven't yet gone on sale. The schedule appears reduced but there is a train at 10:10 that would get you to Bayeux in 2 hours 6 minutes.

You can look at the ter-sncf site and see the scheduled track work for Lower Normandy:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/bass...x/default.aspx

Works on the Caen-Rouen line are supposed to be finished by May 9th. I have no idea when tickets might go on sale but maybe you might want to wait a couple of weeks to see if tickets go on sale before deciding to rent a car.

greg Mar 24th, 2014 01:50 PM

You issue seems to be that the earliest train arriving in Bayeux from Paris on that day is 12:28. Both voyages-sncf.com and www.bahn.com say there are trains.

Other options:

1. Go to Bayeux the night before.
2. Take train to Caen, arriving 11:37. Take taxi to your tour location. This avoids 34 min layover in Caen.

One day rental is quite expensive per day. In addition, you have to add rental related time overhead. If you do end up renting a car, look into changing your itinerary to leverage your rental. One and Three day rentals don't differ that much.

thereadbaron Mar 24th, 2014 01:55 PM

Thank you all so much. My husband not keen on a bus. Could see taking train out of city and renting car an hour closer to avoid traffic. Will the car rental locale be open at 6-7 pm when I need to return tho?

I will wait and see if trains open up. We wanted a non stop - but again, was quoted the 1228 option and if any delay were up the creek.

If we were to drive - and started closer to 8 am - is there a nice stop? Like giverny?

thereadbaron Mar 24th, 2014 01:56 PM

Staying overnight not an option either...

StCirq Mar 24th, 2014 02:04 PM

Every rental agency I've ever used in France closed at 6 pm sharp.

You could consider taking a train to Caen, if available, and then a taxi or bus to Bayeux.

StuDudley Mar 24th, 2014 02:13 PM

The German site seems to indicate that trains won't be running on a "normal" schedule to Bayeux on the 15th. If I had a "drop dead" tour time at 12:30, I'd start getting pretty nervous around late April. What if they don't complete the work on time???

If there is a substitute bus, I'm guessing the buses leave at the same time the train was scheduled to leave - but get to Caen much later.

There are trains that leave Paris at 6:45, 7:07 and 8:45. Viamichelin says it's a 2 hr 40 min drive/bus-ride to Caen - but I would budget to 3 1/2 hrs to accommodate for rush hour. That gets you to Caen at either 9:15, 9:37, or 11:15. The last train from Caen to Bayeux that gets you there by the start of your tour, leaves at 11:10 - so the Paris to Caen bus that leaves Paris at 8:45 probably won't work. I might consider taking one of these three buses to Caen & picking up a car in Caen. It's a 30 min drive to Bayeux from Caen.

Stu Dudley

thereadbaron Mar 24th, 2014 02:20 PM

I like the Le Mans option best. Going to. Call auto Europe and see what time they're open til for return same day.

StuDudley Mar 24th, 2014 03:27 PM

>>Call auto Europe and see what time they're open til for return same day.<<

Use the Kemwel/AutoEurope site & you'll see that they close at 6PM on Thurs. Call Kemwel/AutoEurope to see if you can return the car & leave the keys/etc in a drop box.

Stu Dudley

FrenchMystiqueTours Mar 24th, 2014 05:49 PM

I just checked the SNCF site and there are now tickets on sale for May 15th with trains at 7:05(21.60€), 8;43(21.60€), 10:08(15€) etc.

thereadbaron Mar 25th, 2014 07:28 AM

Thank you! I was able to book today! :)