No tour but chicken

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tour but chicken

Hello everyone. I just happened across this forum and saw the offer to have you helpful people set up an itinerary and offer invaluable travel advice for a newbie.

My daughter will be graduating from college (she studies vocal performance, classical) and her college graduation gift is a trip to Italy with her father and I. (we offered to let her go alone and she wasn't interested... what a sweet kid).

Anyway... she wants to see quite a bit of Italy in 2 weeks. Venice, Florence/Tuscany, Rome, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, and even Milan and the Lake Country if she can squeeze it in there.

I don't think we'd care much for a tour group, since we know pretty much exactly what we want to see anyway and would like to see it at our own speed... with the opportunity to change our minds a bit if we decide to due to weather (or whatever).

So, just how scary is it to travel to Italy on your own the first time around? Transportation is the part that has me most concerned. I'm big time into research, so I've already done quite a bit.

Any and all info provided by all those who have done this on their own would be most welcome!!

Thank you in advance.

TinaLee
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There's always a first time and it's not scary.

I don't think you'll get much help on this forum until you explain the work and research you've done to date.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Tina,
Italy on your own is wonderful. You get to have your own flexible schedule and, with a car, can get to the smaller places easily. Driving isn't a problem. Just have a really good map and you are on your way. But driving in cities would be scary as hell!!! I've never been to Rome but those Florentines (is that the correct word?) are CRAZY. And the people on Vespas think that dotted line down the street is the lane of traffic created just for them.
Have fun planning and enjoy Italy!
Judy
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I'm a careful planner and am generally NOT a spontaneous person. But here is how I look at a trip to Europe: As long as I make my flight there, and make my return flight, everything in between is just part of the adventure!

It is easy to book train tickets on the web site. Visit the web site when you have a bit of time and few distractions, and you'll get a feel for the types of trains and the schedule. If there are days when you just can't face figuring out the city bus, take a taxi. The distances aren't generally very far, so fares are generally fairly low.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM

What time of year are you traveling? That may affect whether it makes sense to go to the Amalfi or the lakes.

In general, you are trying to squeeze too many destinations into a 2-week trip.

Given your daughter's studies, would she perhaps like to focus on seeing some great vocal performances in Italy? Roma, Milano and Venezia would become prime destinations in that case -- although you can find music everywhere in Italy. There are some very notable music festivals that might attract you also, such as the Wagner festival in Ravello (on the Amalfi) or the Spoleto Festival (in Umbria).

But something's gotta give in that itinerary! It would be a MUCH more relaxed trip if you could decide whether seeing Rome and points south means more to you than seeing Firenze and points north -- or if you would be willing to bypass the middle (Tuscany).

Otherwise, you will be flying past everything at breakneck speed.

With the exception of Tuscany, everything on your wish list is best reached without a car.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What you describe is not scary but is a bit complicated, and too many destinations for 2 weeks imo.

Not exactly what you describe, BUT if you flew into Rome, train to Florence, (stop in Milan if you like), train to Venice, would make an ideal first trip to Italy.

You need only plane tickets (into Rome and out of Venice), hotel reservations 3 cities & can easily travel between them on the train by purchasing tickets at the train station after arrival.

This is nothing against renting a car, or visiting Tuscany, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, or Lake Country... it's just those things make it much more complex planning imo.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

You could try:
fly into Venice (remember the flight goes overnight, so you will need 15 nights for this trip);
Venice 3 nights
train to Florence for 2 nights;
then bus to Siena for 2 nights;
(or base entirely in Florence or Siena for 4 nights);
Rome 3 nights;
Sorrento and side trips 3 nights;
back to Rome to prepare for departure for 1 night.
I guarantee you, this is quite fast enough. If you want to do Milan and the lakes then you will have to drop Sorrento, reverse the order and change your airline gateways; or in other words:
fly into Rome for 4 nights,
Siena 2 nights then Florence 2 nights, Venice 3 nights, Lake Como 2 nights, last night in Milan.

This was close to our own first trip to Italy, although I confess that if we 'wanted to change our minds' and have more flexibility, we would have had to drop something.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM

You'll get plenty of help and advice at Fodor's in planning a trip. You can also use the search function to find previous responses and/or more general information.

To provide a simple answer to your question, from my experience, it was only a little scary to travel to Italy on my own (with my husband) the first time we did so. Our first time in Italy was part of a larger trip through Switzerland (we'd visited Austria, England, Germany and other parts of Switzerland on previous trips). We drove from Switzerland to Lake Lugano, and two days in the Italian part of Switzerland (which isn't, of course, Italy at all), driving one afternoon across the border into Italy. But that little taste of Italian lifestyles (and food!) hooked us - we've returned to Italy many times!

Jump in and go, it will be a wonderful trip!

Decide when you want to go, and for how long (I'm assuming you're considering this for next year, not this summer). And as for transportation, some people rent a car, some people only take trains. I think the best is a combination of both. Cars are the easiest option when travelling through the countryside (rural Tuscany or the Lakes region, for example), but a big hassle in big cities (lots of traffic and hefty parking fees). Trains are best when you are travelling between cities in which you don't need a car. For example, let's say you fly into Venice, then take a train to Florence. Rent a car when leaving Florence, drive around the Tuscan countryside, then drop the car off on your way into Rome. (I left off a bunch of places you mentioned, but that was just to illustrate who you might combine cars and trains.)

Enjoy!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone very much for the input so far - you're amazing.

So, if something has to be dropped, it would most likely be the lake district... and maybe Sorrento/Amalfi. (boo hoo)

At least 3 days in Venice is a must. We plan to travel in May, which is just one giant music festival in Florence, so at least 4 days in Florence/Tuscany. No driving in Florence - got that one! Maybe leave Florence, stay in Tuscany for a few days and then on to Rome? Depending on the opera season, Rome is a must if for nothing else than the opera house.

Now... here's a couple of questions? Is Milan at all doable from Venice by train? If she could even see La Scala Opera House she would be a happy camper. No need for an extended stay in Milan. As I said the Lake district can be dropped if needed.

No huge desire to see Sicily this time around... but how far afield is Sorrento/Amalfi from Rome? My thinking is that it is closer to Naples (which will undoubtedly extend the trip... correct?)

I really think the short period in Tuscany would be the only time we would need a car. But how close to the town centers are the rail stations? Will we be looking at combining bus/taxi with rail in Rome and Florence? (Venice I know is by water taxi to our prefered hotel).

Thank you so much again. You're starting to make me feel just a smidgen braver here! Too many people have been screaming NO NO at me... you can't do Italy on your own... but I'm pretty adventurous and pretty easily roll with the punches... at least I have in the past!

TinaLee
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM

TinaLee, if people are saying you can't do ITALY on your own, have them read Travelgirl's trip reports...her family is doing an 11 week adventure and so far they've done Japan and China on their own!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM

<<Too many people have been screaming NO NO at me... you can't do Italy on your own...>>

TinaLee, Well then you're just talking to the wrong people! Good thing you found us here -lol.

Venice to Milan is 3 to 3-1/2 hours train ride.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Regarding Milan, you could fly into Milan, stay one night or even a few hours, then take the train to Venice. This is more stressful than just flying into Venice. (Venice seen from the air is great!)

It's about 3 hours on the train between Milan and Venice. Florence is in between them to the south.

In general, the train stations are in the center of the city. I concur with your idea of the car in Tuscany only.

Naples is south of Rome, northeast of Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. Maybe look at an online map?

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I can't help you with Italy as it's still on our destination list, but...

<i>Too many people have been screaming NO NO at me... you can't do Italy on your own</i>

You've definitely been talking to the wrong people! My hubby and I have travelled fairly extensively and never have we gone with a group. We have always planned everything ourselves, from plane tickets to hotel reservations. The only places we've been so far where we don't speak the language is Spain and Portugal. We honeymooned there for 3 weeks last year and came back unscathed!

As long as you do you research (seems like you are), arm yourselves with a good guide book and learn some basic phrases, you'll be fine. It sounds like you're going to have a fantastic trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. Miramar - I've looked at maps until my eyes are crossed. My question was whether adding Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi would force us to cut short our time in Rome or add extra days to the trip. Which I think it must.

Flying into Milan and then taking the train to Venice is a good idea. Hadn't considered that possibility.

As a rule, is it more cost efficient to fly into and out of the same city? Worth the loss of a day to travel back to where we began from the south?

I've spent the afternoon looking at train routes and schedules... my head is swimming. Just trying to give myself a ballpark figure to swat around. So far doing it ourselves seems more cost efficient, not to mention I can stay at the Locada of my preference (which is a good thing).

Thanks again everyone!

TinaLee
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I have only done Florence but it was very easy, the station is quite central and all the sites are walkable. It is a wonderful place for strolling and soaking up the atmosphere too. If you want to add Pisa to your trip that is easily done in a day from Florence too although not a 'must do' compared to all the treats on offer in Florence if you are short of time. We stayed at the Hotel Maxim which is on a pedestrianised street, within a few paces of the Duomo and right in the middle of all the main galleries and sites. I am not sure why you thought the trip would be 'scary' unless you meant overwhelming rather than frightening. We felt very safe and comfortable at all hours of the day. Italians are very friendly and generally have a reasonable command of English. It's not too difficult to learn a few words to get you around.
I am sure that once you set off all your worries will disappear. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM

It is much more efficient to fly &quot;open jaws,&quot; that is, fly into one city and out of another. Usually it doesn't cost any more money to do so; or if it does, the cost is worth the gain in vacation time.

To fly into Venice is one of the great things in life - we're about to make our third trip to Italy via Venice, just to be able to do this. But given an understandable desire (need?) to visit Milan, then flying into Milan and taking the train from there makes a lot of sense.

I agree about those people saying NO - you're talking to the wrong people. Could one of them have been my co-worker, years ago, who said to me that why would I want to go to another country, where they DON'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH! The horror of it all!

I'm sure there are tours that you could take that would be cheaper than you doing it on your own, BUT, you're travelling at someone else's pace, seeing what they choose, and staying at their hotels (which can be in inconvenient locations). You're doing it the right way - on your own - and you have a whole website of people who are on your side!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Flying &quot;open jaw&quot; plane tickets is smart and mine have cost the same or only a very small amount more than flying round-trip in and out of the same city. Really saves your itinerary not having to backtrack to where you began the last day or two of your trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Tina,

Below is my blog (with pictures) from our 3 week trip to Italy in 2005. Maybe it will give you ideas on towns to visit and hotels to stay.

Driving is easy if you remember two things:
1 - Pull up on the ring to put car in reverse
2 - Put the correct gas in the car

Wherever you go in Italy, it will be wonderful.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.typepad.com/travels/

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I highly recommend flying into Milano and seeing La Scala. Spend the night if you that would enable you to attend an opera!

I'm also going to recommend that you consider proceeding to Verona after Milano, so your daughter can see the Arena and feel inspired, and then onto Venice, which has so many musical offerings.

Then onto Firenze and Tuscany. You will get the most out of Tuscany if you rent a car for part of your stay. Unless you are huge fans of painting and architecture, I would recommend skipping Pisa and Siena if favor of visiting tiny hilltowns and enjoying the Tuscan landscape. Drop off the car in Orvieto and take a train to Roma for a flight home.

(By the time the 3 of you buy train tickets back to Milano and put yourselves up in a hotel for an early flight, you will have eaten up any saving you might have had by flying in and out of the same city.)

Milan 2 nights
Verona 1 night
Venice 3 nights
Firenze 4 nights
Tuscany 2 nights
Roma 3 nights

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
You have just found an incredible resource for trip planning. You may well be on your way to becoming a Fodorite, that is, one addicted to this cite and to travel. Welcome!!

It sounds like you are the designated trip planner, perhaps by default. Planning your first trip can be daunting but also very rewarding. It can also be a thankless, stressful job. Where to stay, how long to stay, train schedules, what to see, etc. It's very time consuming with lots of decisions to be made along the way. For many of us though, it's a labor of love.

As far as how to divy up your time, you'll get lots of suggestions. Personally, I think this depends on the travel style of the group and the groups' interests. Some folks like whirlwinds, where they are pretty much on the go, go, go, spending full days taking in the &quot;A&quot; list things to see and do and then moving on. Others prefer a more leisurely pace where you sleep in and don't have to concern yourself with tight schedules. And of course there are those who combine both.

I think the success of any trip depends largely on traveling with people who either share the same travel philosophy or have made compromises in advance and stick to them. That said, attitude is pert near everything. So my first piece of advice would be to talk to the group about what pace they'd prefer. And that naturally leads to a discussion of priorities. Guidebooks are very helpful here as are the online cites which offer versions of their guidebooks free (Fodors, Frommers, Rick Steves, etc.) Your companions should really do some research, too, so it doesn't all fall on your shoulders.

For your initial destination, it's best not to plan anything major on the first day because of jet lag issues. Some light sightseeing without a lot of walking is usually wise.

I, too, recommend flying into one city and out of another. That cost us the same as flying round trip. Orbitz.com and some other cites will let you compare rates.

Based on a 15 night stay, you have time to do a whirlwind trip that would allow you to see and do a lot. For instance, 3 nights in Venice, 4 nights in Florence/Tuscany, 4-5 nights in Rome (there's a ton of neat stuff to see there), and 3-4 nights somewhere else, such as the Lake District or the Amalfi Coast.

Or you could skip the 3 nights somewhere else and add them to the other regions.

Some other miscellaneous thoughts. In Rome, there are several excellent tour companies offering guided tours of the major sights. Popular ones on this board include contextrome.com (expensive but limits group size to 6 people for most tours) and ICON tours, among others.

In Tuscany, you can hire a guide to drive you around to the various cities. We used Luca Garapa of hillsandroads.com for 1 1/2 days and were extremely satisfied. He's driver and guide. You'll find others here also highly recommend him. He charges about 30 euro per hour. Some of the other companies charge considerably more because they hire a driver and a guide and obviously charge for the services of 2 people. If you don't want to rent a car while in Tuscany, Luca would be an excellent choice to take you around for a couple of days. He knows where to go for wine tasings, too.

Good luck!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -