No Smoking Restaurants in Paris

Dec 29th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Polly

No Smoking Restaurants in Paris

Do they exist? If so, where? Can anyone recommend any that might have any of the following:
a. vegetarian or seafood items
b. tolerance for a 10 year old
c. reasonable or cheap prices
Thank you.

Dec 29th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Mia

Hi, Polly-you might try looking through an Acess Paris..they are great guides that just give info..there are plenty of places in Paris that are tolerant of 10 year olds, after all.. .Parisians have children too I will look in my journals and see what I can find-as we don't eat red meat..There are also some really knowledgable people on this board regarding Paris, so I am sure you will get plenty of help.M

Dec 29th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Bob Brown

I suggest a copy of Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris. She lists restaurants that have non smoking sections as well as those that are vegetarian.

Some of these non smoking sections are next to smoking areas. I think you have to accept the smoking or eat all of your meals out of doors. The French evidently don't suffer from lung cancer, heart disease, bladder cancer, and emphysema or other forms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Hence there is no public health initiative that I have seen to persuade people to quit.

The one restaurant I have visited that had a true non smoking section is Bistro de la Gare located on Boulvard Montparnasse slightly west of the intersection with rue des Rennes.
The metro station Montparnasse Bienvenue is at hand; in fact, one of the lines goes right under the restaurant. The costs at the restaurant are moderate with a fixed price menu. The menu changes very infrequently. I ate salmon one night and veal the next with plenty of French potatoes! And the menu includes a huge salad bowl.
I hope the restaurant has not changed since I was there 16 months ago.
There are outside tables, which tend to get very crowded on a warm evening.

One way we avoided the smoke was to buy sandwiches at a local bakery and take them to the Luxembourg Gardens.

I cannot help you on the tolerance question because I have only grand chilren that age, but I don't think there should be any problems. I have seen children that age in restaurants and don't recall any different treatment.
Don't expect a kids menu unless you go to McDonalds, which has some good non American items on the menu.

Dec 29th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Vic

My casual observation is that Parisians smoke more than Amercian. They are not nearly as constientious about non smoking areas as Americans. More than once, we have asked for a non smoking table and found ourselves very close to smokers. The management's reply was, your table is nonsmoking, but the ones next to yours are smoking.

Dec 29th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Susan

Try the cafeteria (mezzanine) at the Louvre. There are various food installations (including what a 10 year old would like), a non-smoking section, & vegetarian food. (We like the Lebanese.)
You don't have to pay admission to the Louvre to use the cafeteria.

Jan 4th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Wendy

Polly, Chez Jenny an Alsatian brassier in the 10th had a no smoking section. We made reservations for dinner 1 day in advance. We had 3 courses with a bottle of wine for 2 and it was $85 but we could have gone cheaper with the choices. This is mainly meat though.

Jan 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM
xxx

Well, this fits your criteria of reasonably priced and tolerant of kids -- the outdoor sandwich and crepe stands. They are inexpensive, quick and often located near a nice area where you can sit on a bench and munch outside. You can get a cheese/veggie sandwich on a fresh baguette and it's great, and of course the crepes are fabulous.