No Smoking on Air France?

Oct 27th, 1998, 12:20 PM
Chuck

No Smoking on Air France?

Hi, has anyone flown recently or know definitively if AirFrance flights from the US to Paris are completely non-smoking. Thanks for the help.

Oct 27th, 1998, 01:20 PM
Lee

Chuck: I would be suprised to find ANY airline allowing smoking on board of the aircraft.

Some may allow it, but I don't know of one.

Oct 27th, 1998, 01:29 PM
Marija

Both Iberia and Alitalia allow smoking and "run out" of non-smoking seats.

Oct 28th, 1998, 09:05 AM
Vincent

All AF long hauls are completely non-smoking, with the exception of a kind of "smokers' ghetto" tucked between curtains in the middle of the aircraft. No more than 12 persons are allowed in at the same time. Inside, it may be a good vision of Dante's inferno : 12 persons choking in smoke complying with their habit... As a non-smoker, I find this arrangement reasonable, although I have read some American non-smoking fundamentalists complain in this forum that the closest row to the ghetto might be disturbed by the coming and going, and the occasional smoke escaping from the curtains...

Oct 28th, 1998, 11:18 AM
kam

Only experience was last week CDG to Toulouse and Strasbourg to CDG and both were non smoking, although short flights. Why not call Air France??

Oct 28th, 1998, 01:31 PM
Neal Sanders

Vincent, I resent the sobriquet "non-smoking fundamentalist". Take it back, sil vous plait.

Over the past 20 years, researchers have discovered this odd thing about second-hand smoke -- it's hazardous to your health. If I choose not to breath in Jean-Claude's Galouises or Chuck's Camels all night long, that ought to be my perogative. If Air France hears enough complaints and sees enough empty seats, they'll eventually get the idea. Not fundamentalism... free enterprise.

I love France and the French; it's their airline I can't abide!

Oct 28th, 1998, 03:47 PM
bob brown

I agree with the anti smokers.
I somehow think it would be poetic justice if all of those addicted to nicotine were to choke on their own smoke.

But leave me out of it and free from second hand smoke. If someone sprayed a smoker with some other poisonous gas, he/she would scream loudly.

Incidentally, we just flew KLM Atlanta to Zurich via Amsterdam and rerurn. All flights were smoke free. Thank you KLM.

Oct 28th, 1998, 04:44 PM
Lori

Flew Air France to Paris from Kennedy October 1997. At that time they did allow smoking on the flights, but in the special smokers ghetto - see above. You should call and confirm whether this is still true or not. You don't want your seat near this area. Bon Voyage, and enjoy Paris - it is wonderful.

Oct 28th, 1998, 04:48 PM
Leslie

We flew Air France to Paris this month and returned with them. There was absolutely no smoking permitted.
(However we continued from Paris to Cairo and that was a different story).

Oct 30th, 1998, 09:26 AM
Vincent

Sorry, I stick to my "fundamentalism" thing. Anyway, it was efficient and prompted some quick reaction ! The States are fun, but I've always thought this obsession about tobacco should be worth about some shrink's sessions. Why focus on that, and forget the booze for instance, that flows freely (Thank God ! ), or (just unleashing this one to see how it works... ) the obese people. Sorry not to be politically correct, but when I sit in an American airport's waiting room, I look at all the overweight people surrounding me (and, as you know, there are a lot), and I pray that they are not sitting next to me. On my last flight from Houston to san Francisco, I wish the huge guy next to me had rather been a thin smoker than an obese non-smoker. But every nation has got its obsessions that may not seem rational to the other ones...

Oct 30th, 1998, 03:02 PM
Christina

Ha, Vincent, c'est si drole! Anyway, I'm an American but there are a lot of American fanatics who obsess about their health and like to hate others. Some Americans think more kindly of mass murderers than smokers. Who knows why.
I can understand not wanting to be around smoke, as I dislike it myself in close quarters such as on planes and in a restaurant right next to me if I'm eating, but there is a nasty hatred going on here that is more than that. I think smoking should be banned on public transportation, and restaurants should have either very good ventilation or nonsmoking areas, but it doesn't bother me that much beyond that and I forget it and don't hate smokers. Actually, some people are more sympathetic to crack addicts than smokers in the US, even smokers who never bother anybody in public. Sense of superiority, I guess. Also, a lot of Americans aren't any fun at all, anymore--they don't smoke, don't drink, don't eat anything with fat or flavor, don't have sex and are big bores on top of it (quelle surprise!). Oh, they're not very well read and don't have very interesting discussions, either. But they sure are damn healthy and will live to be 100 in a nursing home somewhere, incontinent and unable to walk for years at the end of life, but their lungs will be pristine. Here's some food for thought: if France is so terrible in terms of personal habits, how come the average life expectancy is just as high as in the US? Hmmm? (I'm a public health professional, so I know things like that). Also, I think I've read somewhere that living in Los Angeles is about equivalent to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day (the smog), so how come all these anti-smoking fanatics don't hate people who dare to live in LA? Makes as much sense.

Nov 1st, 1998, 10:11 AM
nickie

Christina, that was absolutely wonderful. I wonder why it is that so many obsess with this - could it be the attention media has given it in the last couple of years?

Nov 1st, 1998, 12:42 PM
ilisa

Maybe some of people obsess because we know too many people that have died from smoking related illnesses. Maybe some people have a condition aggravated by smoking, such as asthma. Maybe some of people are pregnant and don't want their unborn children exposed to secondhand smoke. Maybe some people are repulsed by the smell of a smoker sitting or standing next to us. Maybe some people are repulsed by the sight of cigarette butts littering public places. I think those are more plausible reasons for the "anti-smoking obsession" in the US than any media attention. Oh, and Christina, only a very small mind would equate smoking and drinking with fun.

Nov 1st, 1998, 02:52 PM
bojack

I agree with Nickie. Christina's diatribe is one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while [I do intend that as a compliment]. I would love to hear her when she is really upset about something -- which, obviously, she was not with this.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 12:08 AM
Vincent

Thank you Cristina and Nickie for your support. I was feeling I was on the verge on being lynched by a mob of cyber-anti smokers, but putting a little humor and some dots on the i's never harms ! Have fun, smoke, drink, eat cassoulet, and you'll live until 100 without being incontinent, like they do in the South West of France (you know, the famous "French paradox") !

Nov 3rd, 1998, 06:53 AM
Chuck

Once again this forum never ceases to amaze me. My "simple" question about smoking on a flight has generated a healthy debate on smoking in general (no pun intended). Thanks again for the info.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:23 AM
Tony Hughes

Whats wrong with you people ??
Ilisa my friend, i have to side with you on this one. Christina, you make a disturbing comment about smoking ' . . .but it {smoking} doesn't bother me that much . .' . No, it won't bother you at all until the doctor tells you about that malignant tumour the size of a grapefruit that is growing ever bigger inside your skull.
Christina, i think you have missed the point on this one . . it's the long term effects of smoking that people can (quite rightly) get upset about as well as the short term ones (sore eyes,smelly clothing etc ). Wake up and smell the smoke.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:36 AM
Lee

My, my! Didn't we get some mileage out of this one!

I was disappointed that no one mentioned a thing about religion.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:49 AM
Maira

On November 1994, I got on an Iberia Airlines flight NYC-Madrid. I had a mild cold; the airline allowed smoking. When I got to Madrid it wasn't a cold anymore, it was Bronchitis (thanks to the smokers around me who would not pay any attention to my husband's plight!). Since then, I DESPISED SMOKERS, specially the ones who don't respect my right to smoke-free air!! I do not sponsor an airline that allows smoking.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 08:55 AM
Joanne

Christina, the last time I responded to you was in regard to your diatribe about how poorly American children are educated and how awful American parents are. You are getting quite a reputation as an ascerbic critic, but egads, I think thou dost protest too much. Be ye envious, my dear? My advice to you is to be happy, don't worry, lighten your load. Otherwise, I envision you in your later years, wizened by rage, pickled in your own vitriole, hunched over, hair thinning, brown fingers from cigarette smoke, voice hoarse from booze, yet, oh so sophisticated. Why don't you write a book like other "philosophers" do, and leave the forums for questions by real people?

For others in this discussion, I talked with Air France today, and they are saying that "everything" is non-smoking, including my flights from the midwest to Paris, and returning to Paris from Rome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO