No seats availible on Thalys?

Jun 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

No seats availible on Thalys?

I'm trying to get a reservation for 2 round trip from Amsterdam to Paris for the dates of Sept. 1-7 and cannot find anything open. I've gone to Rail Europe, $760!! and Thalys.com...but nothing comes up. Help!
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Relax. Unlike, say, U.S. air carriers, the rail fares for Europe aren't loaded up almost a year in advance. I also noticed some glitches in a couple of rail sites earlier this week while there was some kind of strike going on and I'm guessing that perhaps not everything has been cleaned up. You'll be able to get your Thalys tix for your dates (and it won't be anywhere near $760.) Just check back in a few days or a couple of weeks and my bet is that you will begin to see things that make sense again.
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:34 AM

I don't know if you're booking too far ahead, but have you tried booking tickets from Brussels to Paris (and back) only? (You also have a French TGV option from Brussels to Paris and back if Thalys pans out). From Amsterdam to Brussels (and vice versa) you can take any of several no-reservation, regular trains (no advanced booking needed for those). The Thalys between A-dam and Brussels is only slightly faster than the regular train.
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

ok, sorry if I sounded desperate! Thanks for the advice and suggestions, especially the Brussels tip, BTilke.
The $760 fare almost made me fall out of my chair. There is a big conference going on in Amsterdam during the time we'll be there, do you think that is affecting availability?

Thanks again.
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:07 AM

You cannot book more than 60 days in advance.
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:09 AM
ira

Travelnut is correct.

You can purchase online from www.sncf.com

Look for discount fares, if any, 60 days in advance.

Jun 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM

If I understand well, Ira, the Thalys tickets can be purchased via sncf.com? I guess this is because the journey involves Paris. Therefore, one does not have to buy the tickets directly from Thalys. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong. I may be interested in doing this someday too.
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I can book with www.sncf.com for my dates. However it asks where I'd like to receive the tickets and USA is not an option, but I also see I might be able to print them out?

Also, as this is a Smilys fare does that mean that you cannot travel on any other trains than the ones you're booked for? Sorry, I'm totally in the dark regarding train travel!
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Correction...I CANNOT book for 9/7/05 yet, I was just testing dates to see the process on www.sncf.com's website and used 9/5/05 because it's within 60 days. Will try on Tuesday!
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:55 PM

If you can print the tickets then maybe all you need to do is choose "France" or some other country that's allowed.
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:47 AM

Yes, the Smilys tickets are nonexchangeable, nonrefundable. If you miss your train for some reason, you'll have to buy another ticket (and that's assuming Thalys is still calling those tickets Smilys in September, from time to time they like to give the various types of tickets new names).
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING RAIL EUROPE. I go directly to the site of the train carrier. Remember, train fares only go up to 3 months in advance. Your return trip on September 7 could not be processed because it was more than 3 months in advance when you tried looking it up. At www.voyages-sncf.com, I found your itinerary at 130 EUR per person round trip and direct trains.
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone! I was able to get the Smilys fare for 130 Euro last night, after midnight Paris time, when they opened up Sept. 7th for booking. Sorry I freaked out but that Rail Europe fare took my breath away!
Jun 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM

You can book Thalys tickets 90 days in advance, not just the usual 60 - at least thru RailEurope you can, not sure about thalys.com
But comments that the thalys.com site is always cheaper just are not true - at times you can save lots by going thru Raileurope - i repeat my research i've given not long ago:

right now if you travel thru Aug 28 it's significantly cheaper to buy your Thalys tickets thru RailEurope than for pick up in Europe (actually on www.thalys.com site you can print out your own ticket) but due to RailEurope's 50% off full price Thalys tickets currently you'll save lots by buying here:
Brussels-Paris sale price 2nd class $45; 1st class, meal and wine included at your seat, $70 one way
prices on www.thalys.com
1st class one way 112 euros or about $145! 2nd class 71.50 euros or about $95 - RailEurope does charge a $15 fee per order for mandatory reservations.

If anyone can find a cheaper fare on www.thalys.com that i'm missing let me know. similar savings on Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris route or Paris-Cologne. Plus with the ABS All Belgian Station fare you can take a free connection train (with RE tickets, this fare costs a few extra euros on www.thalys.com from the day before or until the day after your international Thalys arrival in Belgium.
The Thalys youth fare (under 26) at thalys.com is 39 euros or about $50 - RailEurope's is $45 (no sale price, constant fare; similarly senior fare (60 and over of 54 euros or $70 is more than RE's $59 regular senior fare.
So the advice that it's cheaper to buy Thalys tickets in Euros is not true as of now - even without the 50% off sale RE's corresponding fares are about $5 cheaper than those on thalys.com.
For the best service on Thalys tickets i always recommend BETS in the US - they are experts and don't charge RE's $15 mailing fee (800-441-9413) - i've dealt with them for years - they're a RailEurope agent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: mile
Date: 04/26/2005, 04:25 pm
May I ask kindly, if anyone could give me
directions on how to get to the central station: once in Brussels. I'll take the thalys train from Amsterdan which stops at Midi and from their need to go (by metro) to Le Meridien across from the Central Station.
thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: PalQ
Date: 04/26/2005, 04:29 pm
There are constant commuter trains running between Brussels-Midi and Central station so it's not a metro and with your Thalys ticket under the ABS fare (All Belgian Stations) you can go free from Midi to any Belgian station, including Centraal station, which is in the heart of town near the Grand' Place. But i don't really see why you're taking the Thalys which often costs much more than normal IC trains on this route and is only marginally faster. In first class on Thalys you do get a decent free food at your seat however.

Date: 04/26/2005, 04:48 pm
Palq, hi! well the thalys was suggested
as faster to me and since we are short on time I did booked. we paid $80.00
ea.way. But I din't know anything a-bout food , is it like a snack type of
deal. Let me know. Thanks.

Date: 04/26/2005, 04:56 pm
Food only in first class - an elaborate snack with wine - regular train would have cost about $40 in second class - Thalys is about 10 minutes faster than IC trains so poor information. Is a nicer train however. Thalys trains go faster, up to 186 mph only south of Brussels to Paris on a new highspeed line but north of Brussels highspeed lines not yet finished, will be in few years, so goes on old tracks at conventional speeds. Marginally faster because of fewer stops. Actually Thalys will be slower in your case as InterCity (IC) trains stop at Centraal station before they get to Midi, which would have been quicker than Thalys to Midi then backtracking to Centraal station!

Author: BTilke
Date: 04/26/2005, 05:58 pm
Yes, you would have actually saved time by not taking the Thalys on this trip. But since you're going to Midi/Zuid and need to get to the central train station, when you arrive in Brussels, walk down from the new Thalys/TGV/Eurostar wing into the main part of the station (past the round info kiosk and Sam's cafe). Look for trains heading to Namur, Eupen, Leuven (Louvain), Aachen (or anywhere in Germany, as long as they're not Thalys or ICE trains), Antwerpen, Louvain la Neuve...do not take any trains going to Knokke/Blankenberge, Oostende, Ghent, Kortrijk, Deenderlieuw (sp)...those are heading the opposite way and will take you out of Brussels instead of toward the central station. The ride from Midi to Centrale takes only a couple of minutes at most and the train will only stop at the station for about a minute, so don't get too comfortable!

Author: ira
Date: 04/26/2005, 10:14 pm
topping

Author: hopscotch
Date: 04/27/2005, 03:55 am

That's too bad mile that you already bought your ticket. If you want to go to Brussels Central from Amsterdam the International Express is the train to take.

Author: GeoffHamer
Date: 04/27/2005, 04:26 am
Wherever you're catching a train in Europe, it's worth checking schedules on www.bahn.de. In this case, it shows the direct intercity trains from Amsterdam Centraal to Brussels Central. Do not rely on recommendations from people who cannot possibly know all the details of the railways' schedules.

Date: 04/27/2005, 11:03 am
Thank you all! I won't think to much about it, I have already bough the tickets, I don't want to get sick. But
next time ,I'll ask you guys first!!!
I'll make sure I eat enough food in the train to make up for the $.LOLOLOL!
thanks, have a great day.

Author: Travelnut
Date: 04/29/2005, 11:27 am
If your Thalys ticket is a full-fare ticket, you should be able to get a refund as long as you turn them in prior to the departure date/time.

Date: 05/17/2005, 04:49 pm
Thalys is having a 50% off promo through sometime in August - thru RailEurope or their agents (800-441-2387)

Date: 06/03/2005, 11:30 am
right now if you travel thru Aug 28 it's significantly cheaper to buy your Thalys tickets thru RailEurope than for pick up in Europe (actually on www.thalys.com site you can print out your own ticket) but due to RailEurope's 50% off full price Thalys tickets currently you'll save lots by buying here:
Brussels-Paris sale price 2nd class $45; 1st class, meal and wine included at your seat, $70 one way
prices on www.thalys.com
1st class one way 112 euros or about $145! 2nd class 71.50 euros or about $95 - RailEurope does charge a $15 fee per order for mandatory reservations.

If anyone can find a cheaper fare on www.thalys.com that i'm missing let me know. similar savings on Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris route or Paris-Cologne. Plus with the ABS All Belgian Station fare you can take a free connection train (with RE tickets, this fare costs a few extra euros on www.thalys.com from the day before or until the day after your international Thalys arrival in Belgium.
The Thalys youth fare (under 26) at thalys.com is 39 euros or about $50 - RailEurope's is $45 (no sale price, constant fare; similarly senior fare (60 and over of 54 euros or $70 is more than RE's $59 regular senior fare.
So the advice that it's cheaper to buy Thalys tickets in Euros is not true as of now - even without the 50% off sale RE's corresponding fares are about $5 cheaper than those on thalys.com.
For the best service on Thalys tickets i always recommend BETS in the US - they are experts and don't charge RE's $15 mailing fee (800-441-9413) - i've dealt with them for years - they're a RailEurope agent.

directions on how to get to the central station: once in Brussels. I'll take the thalys train from Amsterdan which stops at Midi and from their need to go (by metro) to Le Meridien across from the Central Station.
thanks.

There are constant commuter trains running between Brussels-Midi and Central station so it's not a metro and with your Thalys ticket under the ABS fare (All Belgian Stations) you can go free from Midi to any Belgian station, including Centraal station, which is in the heart of town near the Grand' Place. But i don't really see why you're taking the Thalys which often costs much more than normal IC trains on this route and is only marginally faster. In first class on Thalys you do get a decent free food at your seat however.

Food only in first class - an elaborate snack with wine - regular train would have cost about $40 in second class - Thalys is about 10 minutes faster than IC trains so poor information. Is a nicer train however. Thalys trains go faster, up to 186 mph only south of Brussels to Paris on a new highspeed line but north of Brussels highspeed lines not yet finished, will be in few years, so goes on old tracks at conventional speeds. Marginally faster because of fewer stops. Actually Thalys will be slower in your case as InterCity (IC) trains stop at Centraal station before they get to Midi, which would have been quicker than Thalys to Midi then backtracking to Centraal station!

Yes, you would have actually saved time by not taking the Thalys on this trip. But since you're going to Midi/Zuid and need to get to the central train station, when you arrive in Brussels, walk down from the new Thalys/TGV/Eurostar wing into the main part of the station (past the round info kiosk and Sam's cafe). Look for trains heading to Namur, Eupen, Leuven (Louvain), Aachen (or anywhere in Germany, as long as they're not Thalys or ICE trains), Antwerpen, Louvain la Neuve...do not take any trains going to Knokke/Blankenberge, Oostende, Ghent, Kortrijk, Deenderlieuw (sp)...those are heading the opposite way and will take you out of Brussels instead of toward the central station. The ride from Midi to Centrale takes only a couple of minutes at most and the train will only stop at the station for about a minute, so don't get too comfortable!

topping

That's too bad mile that you already bought your ticket. If you want to go to Brussels Central from Amsterdam the

If your Thalys ticket is a full-fare ticket, you should be able to get a refund as long as you turn them in prior to the departure date/time.

Thalys is having a 50% off promo through sometime in August - thru RailEurope or their agents (800-441-2387)

prices on www.thalys.com

thanks.

topping

That's too bad mile that you already bought your ticket. If you want to go to Brussels Central from Amsterdam the International Express is the train to take.

Wherever you're catching a train in Europe, it's worth checking schedules on www.bahn.de. In this case, it shows the direct intercity trains from Amsterdam Centraal to Brussels Central. Do not rely on recommendations from people who cannot possibly know all the details of the railways' schedules.

Thank you all! I won't think to much about it, I have already bough the tickets, I don't want to get sick. But

prices on www.thalys.com

thanks.

topping

prices on www.thalys.com

Jun 7th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Sorry about the technical porblem i had in copying old material, don't know what happened.
Jun 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

So, I can find this later
Jun 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM

PalQ - I am confused. I originally planned to buy my train ticket to go from Paris To Brussels (on July 26, 2005 early AM) at the SNCF office near the Louvre. I did my homework and found that they would cost appx. $86 for me (Librys) and $43 (youth) for my son, both 2nd class and one way. I saw your post so looked at Rail Europe and found the "special Thalys" spot and proceeded to complete the process. It came up with a cost of appx $250.00. Not much of a sale, and definitely no bargain. So, how do I get the discount? Any suggestions. Thanks for the heads up and for any additional info.
Jun 8th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Sale fare is $45 2nd class for each of you plus $15 booking fee - don't know why RailEurope web site doesn't have these fares but they definitely exist on the 50% off Thalys Summer Special from RailEurope - if you call Budget Europe (800-441-2387) they will confirm the fares (I called) and try to book them - they're a RailEurope agent - but they say these fares can be hard to book so have other train times in mind as back up choices. Your son won't save any money because RE's regular youth fare is $45 but you'll save $41, more than enough to offset the $15 reservation fee of RE.
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks PalQ

I will definitely call Budget Europe. Thank you for your assistance and reply.