Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   No Paris for me this July? (JFK to CDG over 1000) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/no-paris-for-me-this-july-jfk-to-cdg-over-1000-a-528298/)

111op May 11th, 2005 11:16 AM

No Paris for me this July? (JFK to CDG over 1000)

I'm getting sticker shock. JFK to CDG for the July long weekend is over 1000 (for the flights I want anyway).

Yes, everyone's favorite question: Will airfares drop?

I saw the thread on JFK to Rome.

I also checked London, and prices are about $800.

It's really scary.

Last year, I used site59.com to get a ticket from JFK to LHR for 350. Then I went to Paris via Eurostar (granted, I missed my train to Paris from London and had to spend a few more hours in London).

I don't think that I can use the same trick this year, as site59 requires hotel bookings now.

I'm thinking that maybe I should go to SF, but airfares there are about 350-400. In Paris I can presumably stay in Hotel Tiquetonne for 50 euros a night, but I doubt I can find something this cheap in SF.

So, you gain some and lose some.

Do people know tricks to getting low airfares? I've not yet called a consolidator.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

111op May 11th, 2005 11:28 AM

Well I suppose a strategy is that I can wait and buy a fare/hotel package on site59 if it surfaces.

But I doubt that that will look cheap either. For a last-minute departure this weekend the base rate is at $640 -- any respectable hotel will lead to an increase in price. (A hotel in the 12th arr. = +$25, and anywhere else in central Paris looks to be at least +$100.)

(I checked prices for this Friday -> next Monday, so the price includes 2 nights hotel.)

Still I suppose this can be worth a try as the dates get closer.

elle May 11th, 2005 11:43 AM

I noticed some mild drops today in fares from PHL to CDG. Of course this was for June, not July. But today the best fare--which had been hovering around $1100-$1200, with an occasional dip to the $900 level--has dropped to $750 or so. This is for one connection in Montreal. United to Montreal, Transatlanic (I think that's the name) from Trudeau to DeGaulle.

111op May 11th, 2005 11:46 AM

Thanks.

I guess for a long weekend, I'd prefer not to connect (and I must always leave after work).

But then I suppose if the price is low enough, then why not? As I said I did fly to London last year and took Eurostar.

By the way, PHL to CDG for the long weekend is about 1200 on Orbitz (I just checked).

elle May 11th, 2005 11:47 AM

Hi, I just entered some random July dates into itasoftware.com for a month long search and found some flights from JFK that ranged between $850 and $900.

Have you considered buying a package from someone like gotoday.com?

elle May 11th, 2005 11:50 AM

fwiw, gotoday has a three-night inclusive July price of $839.

111op May 11th, 2005 11:50 AM

No, haven't thought of that option.

But I think that you're right that I should probably do a package deal.

The complication though is that I can only spend two nights in Paris -- thought most packages require at least 3 nights?

The lower fares you found might have something to do with flight times -- I always have to do an evening/evening departure (evening after work and evening from Europe to max out that day).

Have noticed that morning flight times can be cheaper.

Maybe if I can spend 800 (hotels included) I should think about it -- it still seems extravagant though.

111op May 11th, 2005 11:51 AM

Thanks elle. I'll check (re go-today).

111op May 11th, 2005 11:55 AM

Tried customized search 7/1-7/4 (no flights found).

I'll keep this tip in mind though. Thanks.

ira May 11th, 2005 11:56 AM

Hi op,

www.mobissimo.com has LGA/CDG for $864 from 7/1 - 7/8. $901 from JFK.

((I))

111op May 11th, 2005 12:00 PM

Wow. Mobissmo is nice (haven't used it before).

I can find flights on BA I can take (connect in London) for 930. From onetravel.

A small drop in prices but useful tip that I'll have to remember for the future.

Are these fares bookable though? Or just window dressing? (Didn't proceed further.)

elle May 11th, 2005 12:12 PM

Well, that's interesting. SN Brussels has fares from CDG to JFK round trip on your dates for 360euros. But it doesn't look like you can book outbound flights from their site. They codeshare with American, but when I put the dates in on aa.com, all that came up was about $881.

111op May 11th, 2005 12:35 PM

I wonder if I can get someone in Europe to buy the ticket for me (probably not kosher -- probably travel must originate in Europe).

In 2002 I actually flew VG (I think that was the airline, now defunct) on one of the inaugural flights from JFK to Brussels (I think). I can't remember how much it was but I seemed to remember being happy with the price.

CFP May 11th, 2005 02:23 PM

Air France, I believe, is having a sale which my mother found on Travelzoo.com. Roundtrip from NY - Paris for $299. Apparently the sale lasts until March 2006. Plus, for $50 you can add on a flight to multiple places (including Florence, Venice, Barcelona, Lisbon, Geneva, etc.) and for only $5 you can add a flight to southern France. Apparently they did this sale last year, also, on May 5 to celebrate the day the company went public. Check it out! My mom and her cousin booked the tickets last week, and they went last year on this sale as well.

Nikki May 11th, 2005 02:28 PM

That Air France sale is for dates between November and March. Won't work for July.

Christina May 11th, 2005 03:13 PM

I don't know what you would consider paying for a weekend, but I just wouldn't ever pay peak summer airfares to Europe for only 3 days. I wouldn't want to do that anyway, but might consider it when the fares are real low in winter or shoulder season.

I bought an Air France RT IAD-CDG for July and checked for several weeks running before I bought it at $930 (including taxes) and that was a relative bargain in comparison to other carriers, and even for Air France itself for that time period. I was flexible a few days either end, also, but usually it was around $1100-1200, so I finally took it when it dropped momentarily back to $930 one day.

If you can get $800 to London, that's probably relatively cheap for summer fares.

I think the package is the best idea, can't you swing an extra day? I imagine any cheap package is not going to available on that holiday weekend, anyway, though. Air France holidays does allow you to buy their package leaving 7/1/05, though, for 3 nights. It's a pretty good deal considering the air fare alone is probably $1200 now. Their final rate is $1228 total, including taxes, for 3 nights for a single occupancy room in their cheapest hotel, JFK-CDG RT. They surcharge you $40 (included in that $1227) for leaving on Friday, 7/1/, you know that isn't a cheap flight day, either.

111op May 12th, 2005 03:10 AM

I know. I can't justify paying $800 to fly to Europe for three days either, which is why I'm really getting sticker shock.

I don't really want to take an extra day either.

If I can get airfare + hotel for $800 (ha!) I think that I'll think about it. After all, airfare to SF is about 350-400 (as I asked on the US forum), and if I can spend an extra 100 or 200 for Paris, I wouldn't mind. The sales in the summer could also make it worth my while.

Probably the way to go is just to check site59 as it gets closer for a last-minute package.

Or I should just investigate a beach or something locally. I see that the latest Time Out issue has some summer ideas.

It's a shame. Well maybe airfares over Labor Day weekend will be cheaper.

Intrepid1 May 12th, 2005 03:49 AM

111op:

With the veryt greatest of respect I would hate to be your travel agent. Why didn't you "contact a consolidator" long before now? No, those One.travel fares aren't "window dressing."

I just booked a $300 RT fare from Dulles to LA..for Thanksgiving so My answer to your question about when airfares go down is....as far out as you can book them.

But take heart, there's always the crossword puzzle to amuse yourself with.

111op May 12th, 2005 04:21 AM

I know, Intrepid, that's why I don't really use a travel agent now.

When I tried to use one for my trip to Greece last year, the one I tried to use wouldn't even attempt to book my trip for me (hm.... Mykonos, Chania, then Brussels and Amsterdam -- too complicated, I guess. I ended up booking everything all by myself).

I should call 800flyeurope and see what they have. I've not had good luck with them lately. I bought all my tickets for my trip next week on the web.

The crossword puzzle is getting a bit old. I'm having more fun with my blog these days. :-)

111op May 12th, 2005 04:26 AM

By the way, this is an aside, but Time Out recommended Rehoboth Beach (DE) as a getaway. I've heard this mentioned a few times so I looked at it briefly today.

It'll apparently take about 6-7 hours to get there via public transportation (one goes to Cape May and then takes the ferry).

The drive is about 4.5 hours from NYC.

Somehow Paris looks more and more attractive. :-)