Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   No Flip-Flops?? Really?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/no-flip-flops-really-828186/)

c1thom Feb 25th, 2010 04:14 AM

No Flip-Flops?? Really??

I'll be in London/Paris in May for 10 days. I've read on this board that Parisians do not wear flip flops, and one would stand out with them. Really? What if they were dressy sandals, patent leather or such, that happen to have a thong between the toe? I was just surprised to read this, and am wondering what European women wear on their feet this time of year? Thanks.

kerouac Feb 25th, 2010 04:18 AM

People in Paris wear flip flops when it is hot. (It may or may not be warm enough in May.) I have done several photo links proving it. And of course tourists wear flip flops even more. Do you want to look as though you work in an office in Paris when you are actually on vacation there?

c1thom Feb 25th, 2010 04:22 AM

I don't even want to look like I work in an office when I'm home!! Thanks for the info. People who commented on fashion threads seemed adamant against flip-flops. I was just wondering if not those, what type of spring/summer footwear (non-office) do they wear? I'm not a sneaker gal.

Dukey Feb 25th, 2010 04:23 AM

I love seeing women with filthy feet..so please do it

avalon Feb 25th, 2010 04:30 AM

And when you step in the Parisian dog poop , you'll know it righ away!

jamikins Feb 25th, 2010 04:50 AM

Well I live in London and I wear flip flops in Paris and have in Italy as well. Never even thought anything of it. I never understand these clothing questions. Why would Europe require a different dress code than anywhere else. If you use common sense...

kerouac Feb 25th, 2010 04:55 AM

And don't forget that there are people completely against flip flops where you live already -- do you consult them before you decide what to wear?

elberko Feb 25th, 2010 04:55 AM

Flip-flops aren't the same thing as thong sandals...

I'm in my 50s, and would never wear flip-flops for a long day of walking, but I have a pair of thong sandals that I've happily worn to walk a couple of miles, and are quite "presentable".

~Liz

nytraveler Feb 25th, 2010 04:57 AM

You are free to wear whatever you want. But - flip flops don;t work really well in the rain (and it will), your feet will get really dirty walking big city pavements in them - and you definitely need a pair of comfy waterproof walking shoes at that time of year.

There may well be some days flip flops wil work (although I have seen too many peope trip on uneven pavement or esclators and stub a toe at least) - but therre will be some days they will not work - so you must have another choice.

(I work near grand central staion and still remember seeing a family of tourists - in early June, in a torrential rainstorm - come out of the station. They were wearing tee shirts, cut off jeans and flip flops - plus large black plastic garbage bags as covering - and their legs were splotched with mud spots almost up to the knee. I guess they came from someplace without rain or chilly weather in the summer.)

Aduchamp1 Feb 25th, 2010 05:06 AM

I have never flip-flopped on this issue. Who cares what others wear.

Personally I wear my wing tips to take a shower, makes as much sense. And I too live in NYC and flip-flops to me say I know very little about city life for many of the reasons stated above including being trampled upon in the subway.

c1thom Feb 25th, 2010 05:20 AM

So...can anyone share examples of the type of shoe that IS acceptable in a city with cobblestones, poop, and uneven pavement? Sneakers aren't an option, and I would like something that looks attractive with skirts, capris, or jeans. Flip-flops or not, most spring/summer shoes have open toes, or are strappy, so I don't get how one's feet would avoid getting dirty, muddy, or splashed, regardless of what you're wearing. And sorry to anyone who feels annoyed with the question - I thought that was the point of the boards!

poutine Feb 25th, 2010 05:23 AM

So, to sum up:

Your feet will be filthy.
Your feet will get wet.
When wet and dirty, your flip flops will "flip" it all up on to your legs/clothes.
Your toes will get stepped on.
The pavement/cobblestone is uneven many places, and your likelihood of tripping is higher in a pair of flip flops.

I am not a flip flop hater, but I find them sort of useless for trekking around Paris. Get a pair of closed toe sandals.

ellenem Feb 25th, 2010 05:29 AM

If you feel you must wear a sandal of some kind, it might be better to choose one that has an ankle strap to keep the sandal securely in place on your foot over uneven surfaces.

If you are traveling in May, I doubt it is really flip flop weather in any case. Pack them but be sure to bring other types of shoes. Paris can be chilly and rainy at any time of year.

shj Feb 25th, 2010 05:32 AM

Flip flops are for wearing in the shower or around the swimming pool or in the changing rooms at the gym.
Get some Keens if you want to be comfortable

Kate Feb 25th, 2010 05:35 AM

I agree that May may not be flip flop weather, but heartily disagree with the naysayers. Some people like flipflops, some don't. Some people find them uncomfortable, some don't.

Personally, I live in London and I'm happy to wear flip flops from May-September when it's dry, including wearing them at work, on long commutes and tramping round my grubby city. I don't get dirty feet.

Celticharper Feb 25th, 2010 05:37 AM

Why are sneakers not an option? I just returned from Paris yesterday and the old fashioned basic keds sneakers in many colors were on display in the shop windows for spring. This is the style that I saw on a lot of Parisians in the Metro.

http://www.amazon.com/Keds-Womens-Ch.../dp/B0015RBC4A

If this is what's for sale in the stylish shops windows I think you can wear them without expecting people to point and laugh.

jamikins Feb 25th, 2010 05:37 AM

c1thom - I am not annoyed, I just truly dont understand. What do you wear at home? You can wear that here as well. Think about what you would wear in NYC, and if its appropriate there it would be appropriate here.

I have worn flip flops for the last 3 years almost every weekend in London (plus for a week in teh Dordogne, a week in Paris, 3 weeks in Italy) and I have not tripped or been stepped on, nor have I kicked mud all up my legs hahaha. You guys make it sound hilarious.

Yes, you have to be aware of where you are walking, but its not nearly as bad as everyone is saying! If you wear them at home and you are aware of the pavement etc you will be fine.

Just be sure they provide enough support for walking all day.

kerouac Feb 25th, 2010 05:43 AM

My feet don't get dirty in flip flips in Paris during the summer, and nobody steps on me either. Some of you people have no luck at all.

Celticharper Feb 25th, 2010 05:44 AM

I think jamikins people ask about footwear because American sidewalks are very even and walking on them in the cities is a lot easier, any shoe will do for the pavement in NYC. I know that I wear different shoes when I travel than I do at home because I want not only to be fashionable but above all I want to be able to negotiate the slippery, hilly, cobblestones safely for hours on end comfortably.

padams421 Feb 25th, 2010 05:46 AM

I wore "ballet flats" during my week in Paris last summer. I also took a pair of Pumas, that don't really look like traditional sneakers. It wouldn't have been warm enough that week (and I know Paris can be quite hot- but it wasn't when we were there) to wear strappy sandals or flip flops, and I don't pack anything I might not be able to wear.

The bottom line is you should wear what makes you comfortable.