No Ferry Service in Greek Islands

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:14 PM
marie

No Ferry Service in Greek Islands

We have just learned through recent travel guides that the ferries barely run at all until July. We are going to the greek islands end of May -- how do people travel from island to island - is flying the only way to go?? Thanks for any assistance.

Marie.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:28 PM
xxx

There are several ferry routes that are running NOW on a daily basis. In May, the situation won't be worse for sure. Here are some examples of routes served on a daily basis:

Piraeus - Paros - Naxos - Ios - Santorini
Piraeus - Patmos - Leros - Kalymnos - Kos - Rodos
Piraeus - Syros - Tinos - Mykonos
Mykonos - Ikaria - Samos

There are other routes served 3 times a week, and so on. It would help to know which specific islands you have in mind.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Marie

Thanks so much for your response! We are hoping to go from Mykonos to Naxos and then on to Santorini.

Can you tell me where I can find ferry information. We went to the ferries.gr and the GTP websites and the schedules are "not available". We've been reading in guidebooks that the ferries schedules change without notice and cancel frequently. Is it really THIS unreailability?!!

Lastly, can you recommend a means of buying tickets - most desirably, from the US, prior to leaving for Greece.

The non-refundable deposits required at many hotesl really complicates matters!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:59 AM
kelly

Marie,

I was in Greece at the end of May, beginning of June, and while it wasn't a full schedule, we didnt have any problems between Samos-Paros-Mykonos-Santorini-Athens. I unfortunately don't have any good advice to give you as far as where to find schedules, as I too found it to be very difficult. Even worse was that once we were on one island, we were only able to get ferry schedules for ferries leaving that island. Maybe you could try asking the hotels you are staying at? We went without reservations so that helped in flexibility. I really don't think you should ahve a problem, those are 3 popular islands and i would be very surprised if there wasn't a daily ferry even at that time. Good luck!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:50 AM
xxx

Marie, you should consider the following:

a) considering the season you're travelling, you shouldn't have any problems at all securing a room in the hotel of your choice; consequently, there's no reason to reserve in advance. Have a 2nd hotel option in the pocket in case you're terribly unlucky

b) it makes no sense at all buying ferry tickets in advance; do it there, with a firm grip on the ferry scene

c) if there are high winds, ferry trips may be cancelled ...

In other words, you should maintain as much flexibility as possible.

You won't have any problems at all shuttling back and forth between Naxos and Santorini. There will be more than one ferry service each day of week. The only hurdle, therefore, is the Mykonos-Naxos bit. Unless I'm missing something, it shouldn't matter to you which island you'll visit first. Remember ... flexibility. Postpone your decision till you're able to gather more info (this may be as late as April/May). Your options are:
Piraeus - Mykonos - Santorini - Naxos - Piraeus
Piraeus - Santorini - Naxos - Mykonos - Piraeus
Piraeus - Naxos - Santorini - Mykonos - Piraeus

The GTP site is the one you should be checking. It's updated weekly and most services that will be available in late May aren't listed yet. When checking in late April, remember that Mykonos (MYK) may be connected to Santorini (ATI) through Paros (PRK), Tinos (TIN) or Syros (SYR).

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Vera

Ferries are somewhat unpredictable in Greece, but then so are trains and buses and just about everything else. It's Greece. Not USA.
One thing that drives travelers crazy is that there are various ferry companies--sometimes covering the same route. Each is represented by some travel agencies. But no travel agency represents more than one ferry company. So if you go down the street in Athens to travel agencies and ask about ferries, they will swear there is No ferry--or no other ferry than the one they represent. However, there is a bank on Syntagma Square that has a branch of the national tourism organization and each day they have that day's ferry schedules available.
(Which, of course, as a previous poster said, may change because of weather.)
Vera