No Eurostar Day Trips?

Oct 31st, 2001, 07:35 PM
Joyce

No Eurostar Day Trips?

When visiting London in March we were able to take the Eurostar to Paris for a day trip for a very reasonable price. Now that we will be returning to London we would like to do it again, but the prices listed on the Eurorail.com website are much higher.
Did they discontinue the special or am I looking in the wrong place? In a message thread from October 18th, someone mentioned fares around $100. Where did you get these? What is the number you called?

Nov 1st, 2001, 06:16 AM
David

Eurostar day trips are still available -try www.eurostar.com

Nov 1st, 2001, 06:20 AM
Sonya

Hello Joyce. We are also planning a day trip to Paris from London. I got this phone number from another post-
011-44-1233-617-575. Have not yet called
as our trip is in December and since the
cheapest tickets are, as I understand it, nonrefundable, I am waiting until
December 1st. Would you post the information you receive? Any other tips
you could post on this trip would be appreciated. I have read on other posts that the earlier you call the cheaper the tickets. You can have the tickets sent to you in the States if there is at
least 7 days before your departure is what other posts have said. Sonya

Nov 1st, 2001, 06:29 AM
amy

yes, eurostar is expensive-don't know if it used to be cheaper, but i recently moved to london and was surprised at the prices. i believe the cheapest price is about $70, but the average is $100. they have a website-i think it's eurostar.com, which lists prices and times. we've been having huge air discounts to paris from london and it's a shame that it's so much cheaper to fly because it's a bigger hassle. good luck.

Nov 1st, 2001, 07:02 AM
joyce

When we went in March, we were able to get very cheap ($45) round trip tickets for Eurostar mailed to us in the U.S. from Raileurope.com--the same place where we got our 7day tube passes and Gatwick transfers (1 shipping fee). I still don't see any day trips on the Eurostar site and prices are currently $200 or more when you convert the currency..
It was a lot of travel time for little time in Paris (went on 2nd earliest train) but I still thought it was worth it just to be briefly in Paris (I had never been). Used ATM card to get money in station, bought a carnet but found in easier to just walk between sites, printed maps for where we wanted to go ahead of time. Just didn't make it to St. Chappelle before they closed (watch died midday!).

Nov 1st, 2001, 07:17 AM
Phyllis Stein

I just received the tickets I purchased over the phone from the Eurostar UK number. They took three weeks to arrive (my trip is in December), so don't wait too long before calling.

The whole transaction was as easy as can be, and I would definitely recommend ordering tickets this way rather than paying the premium charged by U.S. brokers/agents.

I wondered if the UK company would be able to sell me Paris-to-London tickets since the website only seems to let you choose itineraries that originate in the UK, but that wasn't a problem, either.

Good luck!

Nov 1st, 2001, 07:43 AM
joyce

According to the eurostar.co.uk site, you have to be a british resident and have your tix mailed to a UK address to purchase directly through them. This is the only place where I have seen a day trip fare--only for weekend days and currently 70 pounds. Still, this is better than $79 each way with 2 night minimum stay off the raileurope.com site. Again, if there is a better rate/agency to go through could you please post the website/phone number?

Nov 1st, 2001, 07:51 AM
Diane

We'll be taking this train to Paris from London one-way on a Monday or Tues in April -- I wonder if we'd be smart to just wait until we are in London and purchase the tickets there?

Nov 1st, 2001, 09:10 AM
amy

joyce,

the last time i booked eurostar it was with less than 7 days before the trip, but they let me pick up the tickets that morning from waterloo. i don't know if they would let you do that planning further in advance, but it might be worth a short phone call, or if possible, an email inquiry if they have a contact button. this might avoid the british resident thing? hard to say, as i am living here now. if all you need is a british address perhaps you could give them the hotel address?

also, if you are staying at a good hotel, they may be able to help. we recently flew to stockholm and took the train to copenhagen. i wanted to save money by booking it in advance, but they require ticket pickup in advance. the concierge at the radisson in stockholm was great-she took my credit card #, charged me for the tix and then bought them herself for us and held them until our arrival. perhaps you could do either of these ways?

Nov 2nd, 2001, 12:45 PM
Sonya

Phyllis- Would you mind sharing how much your Eurostar tickets cost? I am wondering the cost for 2nd class and Youth fares from the UK phone number.Also could you tell me how far in advance you ordered your tickets(from the date you'll be traveling).
Thanks! Sonya

Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Phyllis Stein

Hello Sonya,

Since you've asked, I'll tell you: 75 each for two 2d class returns, booked (lemme see) about 8 weeks before the trip. There was also a 1 service charge. At the rate of exchange the day my AMEX was charged, they worked out to $110 each.

If I had booked sooner, or been willing to be a little more flexible with the trains times, I could have had tickets for 62.50. It pays to call them directly.... Good luck to you.

Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:42 PM
Sandy c

okay guys,

you are talking to the expert here! i was originally going to purchase round trip eurostar tickets from the online site for our october trip last month and a very nice man gave me the inside scoop that saved us about $80 per person.

here's the deal. when you purchase eurostar tickets online you pay a premium if you live in the states. why? because eurostar has an agreement with another company for ONLINE sales only. notice they ask you where you live before they give you rates. if you live in the states that is and only if you purchase online do you have to pay those higher rates.

online......

but here's the good news, eurostar did not sell the phone purchasing rights to that same us distributor. the deal is online only. if you want to you can call eurostar direct in the uk (cost about $7 if you are quick). if you call them you can get their normal british rates. we did this and had them mail the tickets to us in the states. we got them about 12 days after the call. and this is fine.

now what we purchased was called a 14 advance leisure return. it costs us about $160 per person vs the online price of $248 per person. (14 day advance apex return 1st class).

there were restrictions though, we must stay at least 2 nights over a weekend and no refund.

i looked and even the uk prices are not good for day trips(same day return) in fact standard was more expensive than our 1st class with return. so the problem here is not eurostar, it's that you are returning the same day.

i checked on the net and found several tour companies in london that were advertising eurostar to paris day trips cheaper than the price at eurostar. you may want to check them out.

you could always call eurostar direct and ask if they are running any specials on day trips from london to paris.

if you are interested the number email me. i have it on my computer at home.

sandy c

Nov 8th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Sonya

I am topping this post in the hopes that more information on day trips from London to Paris on the Eurostar may surface. We are 2 adults and 3 teens so we could use any money-saving tips anyone is willing to share. Already have the UK direct phone and will be calling in next 2 days to book tickets,
about 6 weeks before our planned Saturday trip. Is there a secret password or any other little known information someone is willing to share?

Nov 9th, 2001, 07:02 AM
dinah

Sonya, I would suggest that to save money you be as flexible as you can about what days you travel or what trains you take. Like an earlier poster, I was offered several different fares for the dates I wanted: the cheaper fares corresponding, naturally, to those trains that were less convenient for me (such as very early in the morning).

I suppose you can ask the telephone customer service rep to give you the lowest fares for the dates you want and let them tell you the trains on which those fares are available. The fellow who answered my call was really sweet and patient, and made the whole transaction really easy. Good luck with your call -- and your trip!

Nov 28th, 2001, 09:36 AM
scaltreto

Does anyone know why Eurostar from Waterloo to Paris excursion through BA was canceled.

Dec 6th, 2001, 09:01 PM
scaltreto

Sandy C...could you please give me the names of the tour companies in London that arrange day trips to Paris. Checked on the net and could not find anything specific (must be missing something). Had booked an overnight in Paris through BA, but BritShrinkers canceled contract with BA and are no longer running that excursion, nor the one day to Paris. Would still like to see Paris if possible but a little apprehensive about traveling on our own (brother, son and myself; none of us speak French). Thanks for your help.