NJ/NY GTG -- May 21

Search

NJ/NY GTG -- May 21

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ/NY GTG -- May 21

This is to officially announce the NJ/NY GTG (Get To Gether) on Saturday, May 21st.

Where: Paula at Rigoletto in Weehawken, NJ, 3706 Park Ave, Weehawken, 07086 - (201) 422-9500, http://lavacity.com/food_paula.php. Parking 1/2 block from the restaurant in a shopping center parking lot.

For those of you coming from NY (Midtown), here's a link to the NY Waterway. The Ferry leaves from Midtown (38th) to Port Imperial (Weehawken) every 20 minutes. Pls let us know if you require transportation from the Ferry terminal to the restaurant. http://www.nywaterway.com/portimperial_w38.html

When: Saturday, May 21st

Time: 12 Noon until all the wine has been consumed.

BYOB: This is a "bring your own" restaurant. Paula will be providing the wine glasses, and I have it from reliable sources that Budman will be bringing a variety of Budbrew. Everyone is welcomed to bring a bottle of their own "poison."

The Venue: Noon to about 1:30, mingle, sip wine, chit-chat, take pictures, and eat hors d'oeuvres. Oh, before I forget, there will be a $2.00 entrance fee (somebody has to pay for the hors d'oeuvres). :-"

About 1:30 or so, order lunch from a specially prepared menu made up for our event. Last October's menu was simply superb. Everyone will pay for his/her own luncheon selections, including tax/tip.

1:30 to ??? finish consuming wine, tasting limoncello, and sharing stories and adventures.

Since the restaurant will only accommodate 30-32 people, RSVP's will be requested.

Trish has volunteered to compile a list of attendees. Please drop her an e-mail if you would like to attend this grandiose event. I understand she has 10-12 already signed up. [email protected]

Hope to meet and see you soon.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Given what a wonderful time we had a few months ago, we wouldn't dare miss it. Looking forward to it! Thanks for all the details.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Looking forward to another great time! We've got 16 definite RSVP's so far! Trish
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:40 AM
cmt

I would go if there's a fairly easy way to get there by public transportation from the Trenton or Princeton area, for example via some connection at Newark Penn Station. (I definitely do not want to drive to Weehawken!) I'm guessing that the people who picked this GTG location (rather than NYC) for the previous GTG may have already looked into the accessibility options for people coming from central and south Jersey. Would someone post the info? Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi cmt - I'm the culprit for picking Weehawken. We were looking for a BYOB restaurant.

How about train into NYC Penn Station, short taxi ride to West 38th, then ferry over to Port Imperial?

I hope things work out -- would love to meet you.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:36 AM
cmt

Thanks, but that would be MUCH more complicated an expensive than it's worth to me! Is there some easy way to get there from Newark Penn Station instead? If not I'll just go to the next Fodors GTG in NYC or Phila if I'm around at the time.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:54 PM

ttt

And tagging it with my name so I can find it more easily.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM

this is a possibility--but not an Rsvp yet.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM

cmt, maybe you can carpool with another Fodorite if someone is coming from your direction?

Otherwise as we discussed, you can take the train to Newark and Path train to Journal Square in Jersey City then take a bus and it will put you within a block or two of the restaurant for $10.85 regular or $5.20 Senior fare each way according to the NJ Transit website.

As I mentioned, If you can make the effort to come, we would be thrilled to have you join.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM

To cmt:

I realize that there may be some free wine and potentially decent food in Weehawken. But to brave the elements, living or non-living, in the bus station in Journal Square in Jersey City screams "this GTG better be worth it with the mugging that I'm about to get here".

Just a word of caution to cmt: If you do decide to wait for a bus in Journal Square, leave your valuables at home. Better yet, take a cab !
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM

cmt, there is parking nearby, you could do the drive. Straight to the George Washington Bridge then right along the River (River Road) to Weehauken. ( we used to go to Hoboken to visit friends and to the Lincoln Tunnel from that area)
If I were in the area, I would definitely try to come, but we won't be up that way til August ~
I will look forward to more great photos though and good stories!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Take a right from GW Bridge to Weehawken???? It'll take you all day if you take that route.

I'm not sure where you're coming from,cmt, but do a mapquest and don't take the local road from GW Bridge to go to Weehawken. It's a loooooong drive!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM
cmt

I'm about 65 miles south of Weehawken, so I would not be going to the George Washington Bridge! I really dislike the kind of driving involved to go there, and the public transportation is more difficult and more expensive (and now someone says dangerous as well?!) than I expected. Thanks anyway for the suggestions.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM

For those who are driving to the GTG, the easiest way is to drive toward the Lincoln Tunnel (from wherever you're coming from). Take the last exit before the tunnel off 495. The restaurant is about 1/4 mile from there.

cmt, I think carpool is your best option. Even if you drive to somebody's house and they drive you in the areas you're not comfortable driving in. If you can drive to Union, you can get a ride with me.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM

bummer, were it one week later I might have been able to make it!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We live about 75 miles South of Weehawken on the coast. Mapquest was great in getting us to the restaurant.

If someone needs a ride from South Jersey (Ocean County), drop me an e-mail at [email protected]
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM

What's the most posh hotel for less than $100 a night in Weehawken? Can I get a continental breakfast? Can I wear fur and sneakers?

I'm in Delaware - a neighbor of New Jersey but waaaaay south.

But boy-o-boy, I'd like to put faces to some of these posts!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Suzie, Since I give rotten directions, I had better not give you any hotels
I am sorry cmt, I was thinking of arriving at the GWB from NYC and just taking that road along the river..seemed to be the most straight forward directions..but I forgot it has been a year since I was there weeping.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM

SuzieC, check biddingfortravel.com & then maybe try your luck on Priceline. There are a number of hotels regularly listed on these in the Secaucus area which is not far from Weehawken at all (10-15 mins depending on traffic) that might fit your budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -