nine hours in Reykjavik?

Jan 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

nine hours in Reykjavik?

Trying to plan a flight from NY to Sweden with my Medically complicated daughter. Seems like two flights from NY to Iceland, then on to Stockholm would be more "do able" than one long eight hour flight. Any thoughts on what there might be to do on a nine hour layover in Reykjavik? If there were a sight or two to see, would be great to say we were there.... Thank you!
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Flying into Iceland from NY, your plane will arrive at the International airport in Keflavik. The airport in Reykjavik is smaller and handles flights within Iceland. That means that you will be a distance from Reykjavik and a 9 hour layover will not be sufficient to see that city. You may have time to visit the Blue Lagoon for a quick swim if you can arrange timely transportation. Perhaps others will have other suggestions.
Jan 17th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply.. I think the flight leaves from boston to Reykjavik. ( I looked at so many flights yesterday I got confused.)
Jan 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Yes, the Int'l airport is about 1 hour away from Reykjavik so that in and of itself cuts into your 9 hr layover. Reykjavik Excusions used to offer (and probably still do) a 2-hr city tour - but you'd have to pick that up in Reykjavik (not the airport). Check their website to see if they still offer it (not sure if it's seasonal or not) as that would give you a quick overview of the city. You'd have to coordinate getting from the airport to a pick-up point, perhaps have a wait to be picked up for the tour, then arrange transportation back to the airport after the tour. Weather conditions may be a factor as well (you didn't mention when you're going), so factor all this into your 9-hr layover to see if it's feasible.

The Blue Lagoon is much closer to the airport so you might consider that as it would be more relaxing than rushing into the city and touring.

The Int'l airport is small so a 9-hr layover will probably feel much longer than that if you do decide not to venture out.
Jan 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I was looking at a ten hour layover. Seems like the only thing you can do with 9 or 10 hours is the blue lagoon. We decided to actually spend the night and make it a 24 hour layover so we could do one of the longer excursions. There are several companies with numerous options from the short blue lagoon trip that you can do from the airport, to 6 hour, 10 hour, etc tours that show you more of the country, and of course numerous city tours. www.tour.is/tours/bus_tours.php is one site but I did a quick google search and got several. Icelandair does have the option to spend a night (or more) for no additional cost.