Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A few hours in Munich - just walk around the center?

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Munich next Tuesday morning and will be staying that evening in Salzburg. I've never been to Munich and thought I'd take the S-Bahn into the city, drop my bags at the train station, and wander around the center of town for a few hours before catching a train on to Salzburg. I have Rick Steves' walking tour, which looks like I can do in a short time. Is this really worth doing? Anything else you'd recommend for a quick afternoon tour of Munich?
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM

The nice thing about Munich is that you can get to see a lot of the center of the city on a relatively short walk. I'm not familiar with the R.S. walk, but here is my suggestion. As you leave the station through the main entance, go straight to the Karlsplatz (the Munich people call it Stachus. Cross the sqaure and walk through the gate. Youy are now on one of the main pedestrian zones, taking you to the Marienplatz and its City Hall. Continue a bit in the same direction, and you come to the St. Peter';s church. Worth a visit. If the ascend to the tower is open, take a look. From the St. Peter's church turn south, and you will be at the Viktualien Market. Return to the Marienplatz, and walk north on the right side of the City Hall. (Diener Strasse). It takes you to a square with the Opera on your right and the Royal Palace straight ahead. Continue in the same direction,alongside the Palace. that will bring you to Ludwigstrasse, with the Feldherrnhalle monument on your left. If you feel like it, walk a bit along the Ludwigstrasse, or turn left at the Felderrnhalle. The church in front of you is the Theatinerkirche. Worth a stop. Then continue past the Mercedes showroom (unless you want to buy of the Benzes)straighton and you come to and obelisk, and then to a square with several of Munich's famous museums. If you turn left, the roads will either take you back to the Stachus or the RR station.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Im sure Rick's tour will include Marienplatz and the market area, It's a pretty city area just to wander around.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM

The Asamkirche is a good short detour from the Marienplatz

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/g...ich-asamkirche
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM

Start at Marienplatz and make sure to visit the Viktualienmarkt and the famous Hofbrauhaus. (am Platzl)
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Do you like beer? If so, you should plan to have at least one before you depart.

My favorite Munich beers are Augustiner and Andechs, both of which can be found close to Marienplatz, just around the back of the Frauenkirche (a couple blocks west of Marienplatz). Augustiner Am Dom and Andecher Am Dom would make good lunch/beer stops.

Of course the beer garden is a Munich institution, so if you have the time, the closet beer garden to the old town center is the Chinese tower beer garden in the English Garden.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Bah, where is my brain today? There is also a beer garden in the Viktualienmarkt. They rotate which Munich beer they serve, so what you get just depends on the timing. When we were there last month, they were serving Spaten, so we skipped it, but they may have changed by now.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Andrew, that's a nice little walking tour that treplow gave, and I also agree with a stop in Asamkirche. A nice thing about the walk from the train station is that you go through Karlstor, one of the original four gates into Munich. If you go south toward Asamkirche, you can continue a few more blocks and see Sendlingertor, another one.

The Victualienmarkt would be a great place to wander around for a bit, and it's true the Munich beer gardens are great, but it would eat a fair amount of time to go out to one, particularly if it's in the Englischer Garten. You have the one downtown in the Victualienmarkt, which is often very crowded, but don't forget about Hofbrauhaus, which has the beer hall and an outdoor beer garden, and their beer is excellent. Not to mention the sausages and pretzels.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'm not a beer drinker, unfortunately (I know, Munich is the place to visit if you are one!). But I will note down all of your suggestions - thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM

If you are a wine drinker, there is a great little spot for lunch, Geisel's Vinothek, on Karlsplatz ( tucked next to the Excelsior Hotel). If the weather is good, you can sit out and watch the passing show. One of my favorite things in one of my favorite places.