need rental car in italy for 4 suitcases

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 People renting car in Italy for week need trunk space and gps. Any recommendations
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Really paltry information. What size suitcases? Why does the GPS figure into the space? Isn't it attached to the dashboard?

Every European car rental company has details on the trunk space in every car they rent.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM

If you have small bags - as in 22" you can fit in one car. But four adults and full size bag each plus carry-on will not fit in any european sedan. You will need something larger than that - or to have a luggage rack on the roof (unsafe for parking anywhere during the day).
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Your right about GPS. Trying to find a car to handle all luggage.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

26" roller board and back pack each
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM

You want a wagon--probably a mid-size wagon.
Look at Autoeurope and Kemwel and compare.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 05:13 PM

We had a Fiat Bravo for four traveling for 9 days in Sicily. All our luggage was squeezed in the trunk (some of it soft-sided). It officially has a trunk of 400 liters. The Fiat Doblo (similar in design to the Renault Kangoo) has trunk space of 900+ liters.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM

26" rollerboard each is Way too much luggage. Why would you need all that?
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM

A full size sedan at a min. That is a lot of luggage.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM

StCirq,

Agreed. There are tons of packing tips on 22" or smaller bags in these forums. For 1 week, one of these bags is more than enough, without any large carryons.

Practice packing, a LOT. Two things are important. If your bags are visible, particularly in Italy, they might be prone to theft.

Second, try hauling large bags around, up steps, etc.... I recently rented an apartment in Aix on the 4th floor. The ground floor is zero. One bag is plenty to haul up and down stairs.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 08:39 PM

It is not that difficult to imagine the size of car to accommodate that much luggage. A car that size is quite a chore to drive around and park in urban areas.

Also depending on what you plan to do with car, which you have not mentioned, you might have to find an accommodations away from the city center or park far away from your accommodation and walk or take public transit anyway, in case you though you can avoid doing this with a car. Venice is such place.

A 22inch roller is adequate for usual itineraries. However, if you insist on having different shoes and completely different outfits each day, then you need something huge like a 26inch roller. Those who travel to Europe often find it a chore to carry more than a 22inch irrespective of the mode of transportation. One needs to leverage each item for more than one time use. Can a pair of shoes be used for more than one occasion? Do you need a medium weight jacket, a light weight jacket, a rain parka, a light sweater, and a medium weight sweater? Is light weight jacket also a rain parka and can it be combined with a sweater to serve as a medium weight jacket, etc?
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>nytraveler on Mar 18, 12 at 8:47pm
If you have small bags - as in 22" you can fit in one car.<<<

My last rental in Italy would not have held four 22" bags.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Four 26 inch bags, four backpacks, additional 'stuff' like shopping/picnic supplies + four adults. You'll need a <u>big</u> vehicle.

Cut back to carry-on sized luggage and you can use most mid-sized models. One can easily do one week - or one month - w/ just a 21 inch bag.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Have a look at the examples of the cars available at http://www.autoeurope.com (or rental company of your choice)

Then have a look at http://www.parkers.co.uk and look up the examples there... they have multiple photos of most models including the trunks or loadspaces so you can get a good idea
of what may work for you.

I'm not sure why people find it necessary to decide for you what size of luggage you prefer. I do fine with a 22 inch roll aboard... but that's not for everyone. Take the luggage you're happy with and get a vehicle to suit. It may need to be a small minivan or people carrier though. If possible,if at least some of the party can use soft luggage it would help, as cramming non rigid bags into irregular spaces can help.

As for GPS... I highly recommend you take your own. If you don't already have one you can buy one with European maps and it may well cost less than the rental fee. TomTom is my preference but Garmins are popular. Don't buy an elcheapo off brand. You will also have the chance to learn how to use it and get the most from it. You can't do either with one rented in a strange vehicle in a strange country. I have driven thousands of KM all over Europe before GPS ... I wouldn't be without one now. They are that useful. You do still need good maps though. Pay no attention to people who have never used GPS... you wouldn't take driving lessons from someone who can't drive, would you? ;^)
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I'm not sure why people find it necessary to decide for you what size of luggage you prefer. I do fine with a 22 inch roll aboard... but that's not for everyone. Take the luggage you're happy with . . .</i>"

Absolutely true -- however taking that sort of luggage means you must get a large vehicle. And depending on exactly where you are traveling, a large vehicle can be a royal pain. So you have to decide: Lots of luggage = large/expensive vehicle. Small luggage = smaller/less expensive vehicle. Simple as that
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Second the recommendation re Tom Tom. I was having a difficult time purchasing and loading maps on my Garmin and also finding a new GPS loaded with euro maps. Finally decided to wait until I landed in Europe. Found one at the same price point at an electronic store in the Amsterdam airport. I also would take along a paper map in order to get a perspective on the total route.

Regarding luggage size, the trunk always seems smaller than I plan for and at some point, you have to drag the bag. How much do you want to drag?
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

They don't rent cars in Italy that are too big to drive through the streets of Italy, so don't worry about that. It isn't park anything in an urban area of Italy, so get a car your group is comfortable being in.

Call a rental company ask for their advice. Social media has some real limits on the quality of information you will get.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Meant to type : It isn't easy to park anything in any urban area of Italy, so get a car your group is comfortable being in.