Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nimes/Perpignan/Montpeillier/Narbonne/Arles

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:27 PM
pete

Been to any of these places? Which would you recommend for February for active people who are into history, nature, ambience, and culture. Like to just walk around interesting places, visit markets, and get a feel for real places not places that are non-stop tourist traps. REalistically, how much time is each place worth if you aren't looking for a real in-depth exploration of the town. We are not intersted in just another big city with its shopping areas etc.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:43 PM
elvira

Perpignan is two days to hit the high spots. If you have a car, you can take day trips into the countryside.

Arles is probably 3 days. I've zipped through Monpeillier so I don't know what's there to recommend how long to stay. I think I saw Narbonne from a train.

In February, the tourist traffic isn't crushing, so even in a hot tourist spot, you won't feel overwhelmed.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Patrick

We spent five nights in Montpelier a couple of years ago, without a car, and loved it. It was a perfect base for going off on daytrips to Perpignan, Arles, Narbonne, Collioure, Sete, and Nimes, all easily and quickly accessible by train. Montpelier itself is an interesting town with a rather stunning central core or plaza, interesting little streets of shops and small restaurants, a major university, and some really interesting modern structures. For culture it would probably be great in February. They have an opera, various concerts, and lots of arts, but those things were rather limited in the summer. It really fits the bill you describe as it was such a non-touristy place, and had such a vibrant "young" feel to it. Arles is an interesting place and Collioure is simply stunning and colorful. Perpignan is an active city. We enjoyed walking around for the day, but I'm not sure about any specific attractions there.

P.S. Welcome back, Elvira!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:47 PM
John

Good choice for a destination, although you probably shouldn't be expecting balmy days in February - we rented a big house outside Narbonne one March and froze our derriers off, if you get my meaning...

Study up on the Cathars (the who?) before visiting this region, and be aware that Perpignan is distinctly Catalonian. As Patrick says, Montpelier is a very pleasant university town. Narbonne is a market town with a fine covered market near the river; Nimes and Arles have lots of Roman thingys including 2 dynamite arenas. Perpignan is our favorite, because it feels culturally very different from the other places, and has the same crystalline blue air as San Francisco, which, with pastel stucco buildings, makes for a deja vue experience for Californians. Should be grand in February.

You're not far from Carcassone if you want everybody's idea of what a castle ought to look like (psych - it's not that old); Arles and Nimes are close to the Camargue, which is very interesting - visit Aigues Mortes, one of the finest walled villages in France, and Stes. Maries, scene of the pan-European Gypsy confab every spring. Inland, try to get to Albi (longish day trip) for an impressive ancient brick cathedral or is it an army base?

You'll have a great time. Have some Cassoulet. Wish we were there.

Yo, Elvira. Nice to see your words.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:41 AM
Luis

Pete:

I've been to Perpignan in early May. It has it's charms, yet I found it to be a bit of a run down kind of town. There are some sights to be seen there, but the town is simply a bit dowdy; i.e they arent really geared for tourism although they are friendly.. However, you may find it an enjoyable town..to each his own.

Regards..
Luis

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Richard

By all means hire a car. We visited the Languedoc Roussillon region January of 2001 and again in November at which time we did an overnight to Avignon. Lots to see in the area, Pont du Gard, the Palace of the Popes in Avignon. In the Perpignan area see the Châteaus at Quéribus and Peyrepertuse. We plan to return again this November, a few days in Provence and a week in Caunes-Minervois. Can't wait!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:38 AM
mary anne

Of these places I most liked ARles. My experience with Narbonne and Nimes wasn't good, but that was probably due to outside factors. Since then, I've read about how wonderful Nimes is(especially the roman temple that was an inspiration to Thomas Jefferson) but the area I saw, around the RR station, is bleak at night (Couldn't find a taxi, had to stay in the Hotel Terminus--need I say more?). What I saw of Narbonne also did not seem inviting.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Joanne

Pete: I agree with Mary Anne about Arles. We stayed there last spring and loved it. It is ideally located to visit many of the places suggested above and is delightful on its own. We love Roman history so were pleased to have a hotel room with terrace overlooking the Roman theater and next door to the arena. The arenas in Nimes and Arles are wonderful, as is the temple Mary Anne mentioned in Nimes. Don't miss Pont du Gard near Nimes. Our visit there was one of our favorite days. Also, the suggestion above about the Camargue is a good one. It is a very different and interesting area. We took a great nature hike there.

j

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:49 PM
pete

Thanks a lot! I think you've helped us narrow down the choices somewhat. We will have a car becasue we will be arriving from the Cote d'Azur and once again we've figured out that it is cheaper to drive than to take the train for 2 people. The Carmague is a definite possibility we'd also been thinking about. Sounds like Montpeillier might make a good base for a few days and I think it will win out over Perpignan. A friend raves about Collioure and we had thought about staying there too but are concerned about how interesting it will be in off-season. One more quick question. I have read mixed reviews on Carcassonne--great to too touristy. We have been to a walled city in Czech Republic (Czesky Krumlov) and to medieval Rothenberg (sp?) on the Romantic Road in Germany. So, don't know about Carcassonne.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:36 PM
Robyn Mixon

Would recommend all except Perpignan, which we found less interesting. Went to school in Montpellier many years ago and recently returned--very active lively with a fine art museum and beautiful architecture.

Whatever you do, don't miss Narbonne, a lovely spot for a full day. A renowned indoor food market in a beautiful building, the canal du Midi runs throughout the city, excellent cathedral and series of museums, as well as many pleasant spots to walk.

Arles and Nimes are lively spots and are both worth a visit, although if you are limited on time, select one for the feel.

We spent 2 weeks in the area last summer and really enjoyed it.