We're roughing out an itinerary for Provence, and trying to decide which towns to stay in. We know several that look like good bases for day trips, but we'd like to enjoy our evenings too. We like to go out to dinner and sip wine under the stars, and have spent many happy evenings in piazzas in Italy doing just that!
My question is: are there towns in Provence that have a similar feel at night to Venice, Florence or Siena, or even San Gimignano? We enjoy being around other people and locals, and like the ability to walk back to our room, rather than get into a car and drive.
It looks like St. Tropez might be a little too glitzy for us at night. What about Nice? We'd like a town with a central area and a little activity. Think Piazza San Marco in Venice, Il Campo in Siena, etc...does that sort of place exist outside of Italy? (I admit to my ignorance, and honestly appreciate any information!)
We would also like to spend part of our trip in a quieter spot, where we can just have a quiet dinner and walk around a bit at night and enjoy the ambience. Towns that have been recommended are Gordes, St. Remy, St. Paul de Vence. Does anyone recommend one of these over the others? All my searches for "nightlife in Provence" seem to come up blank!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 days in Andalusia
- 2 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 3 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 4 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 5 Malaga Christmas lights
- 6 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 7 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 8 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 9 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 10 Good base for visiting Le Marche region
- 11 South of France
- 12 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 13 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 14 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 15 Help with Spain itinerary
- 16 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 17 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 18 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 19 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 20 paris to london- day trip
- 21 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 22 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 23 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 24 Family vacation
- 25 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence