Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nightlife in Montepulciano or Pienza (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nightlife-in-montepulciano-or-pienza-369752/)

plufmud May 30th, 2008 07:01 PM

Nightlife in Montepulciano or Pienza

A large part of enjoyment for my husband and me comes from eating in great restaurants and then walking around the town or city. Which town do you think are more active after dinner?

We have been to Siena and Sam Gim. and would consider them again as a base if there is any nightlife. Florence was our base.

We are not interested in pools, spas, or just lounging around.

Thank you.

plufmud May 31st, 2008 03:37 AM

ttt

bobthenavigator May 31st, 2008 07:52 AM

Montepulciano is a larger town with more activity--I cannot vouch for nightlife per se. A major difference is walking as well with Pienza being totally flat and Montepulciano being quite hilly.

caroltis May 31st, 2008 08:35 AM

Nightlife does not come to my mind when Montepulciano and Pienze are mentioned. If you're talking about lots of late night bars, dancing, etc. you need to consider larger towns. If you mean are there plenty of places open and a significant number of tourists and locals strolling around...I think both of those locations would fit the bill. Not certain what you mean about "active after dinner".

SusanP May 31st, 2008 09:30 AM

I was in Pienza for three nights a couple of years ago in September. It was extremely quiet at night, not even very many people walking around. I loved staying there, but I don't think it will give you what you're looking for after dinner. I can't say if it's a lot different in the summer.

caroltis May 31st, 2008 10:15 AM

Susan's right...totally depends on the time of the year you are going to be there.

shellio May 31st, 2008 10:27 AM

We just returned from a trip that included both places and neither had anything approaching "activity" after dinner. If you want to walk through quiet streets on the way back to your hotel, that's one thing; if you want to sit in a busy café and people watch, neither town is the place for you.

Siena is similarly quiet after dinner except for a bit of activity around the Campo.

2Italy May 31st, 2008 10:58 AM

We've stayed in Montepulciano and Montalcino, and as stated above, nightlife does not come to mind.
However, if you want to enjoy the town without all the daytrippers, the evenings are wonderful.
We like to have a great dinner and bottle of wine and then stroll around the town enjoying it the locals do; sometimes with a gelato. The views out over the Val di Orcia are wonderful.

plufmud May 31st, 2008 01:27 PM

Thanks for your replies. We are going first week in September. I didn't mean bars or dancing, just strolling around maybe looking at shops, etc. (checking out gelato)

SusanP May 31st, 2008 01:43 PM

The shops in Pienza won't be open at that hour, and I honestly can't remember a lot of gelato places open then either. Just so you know.