Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

night train-seat reservations and couchettes

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a night train for my husband and I in June. Florence to Munich. I chose the 4 berth couchette because it was sooo much less expensive than the sleeper car. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Also, do I need seat/couchette reservations? I booked it on the http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de website. If so, how do I do that?

I am worried that I made a bad decision. I got the night special rate and it is not refundable.

Can you ever upgrade to sleeper car once you are there at the station, if available??
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM

The sleeper car is a small private cabin; some have a toilet. The 4 berth couchette is a larger cabin in which the seats fold to make 4 sleeping surfaces (2 per side). You may share the cabin with two other people or may have it to yourself if no one purchases the other spaces. You will use the restroom at the end of the car. I believe that when you book a couchette on that site the reservation is included. Since the site states that the fare is non-refundable and non-exchangeable, I doubt you can upgrade to a sleeper. Not to worry, the couchette should be just fine.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM

A 4 berth couchette might be sex segregated. Maybe you will be in different couchettes.

Also, do I need seat/couchette reservations? I booked it on the http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de website. If so, how do I do that?
Did you or did you not already book your couchette bunks?

I have upgraded. It is possible to do this at the platform if space is available.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

I did book the tickets, but I don't know if I need to have an "assignment".

Are the couchettes comfortable?
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM

In my train experience the comfort level depends more on your fellow sleepers than on the actual bed/berth..
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:58 AM
ira

Hi C,

If you want to travel cheaply you book the couchettes, which you share with other people, and sleep in your clothes.

If you want comfortable, you book a double sleeper.

Enjoy your adventure.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:01 AM

If you book a couchette, sleeper or seat on a train, your ticket will specify carriage number and seat/berth numbers.
If you booked on the DB Nachtzugreise site, you should receive an e-mail with tickets which you'll need to print.
There are pictures and descriptions of sleeping accommodation on www.seat61.com.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The sleeper is more expensive because you get a private cabin for just the two of you. With beds that are comfortable.

In a couchette you will be sharing your room with two other strangers and the beds are like bunk beds.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM

We took the sleeper train recently from Vienna to Venice and had the private compartment. As someone pointed out, you will have to sleep in your clothes in the couchette. Our trip was 10-12 hours and our bunks were very comfortable. We were able to get a good nights sleep. There was a small sink (toilet down the coach) to brush your teeth and they provide water for this. You cannot use the water on the train for this--just for handwashing.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I did not realize you could book night trains so far ahead of time on the internet (and save money I assume). We will be going from Barcelona to Paris by night train in May - do you know if this can be booked now - do not want to use RailEurope.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM

People in the know book an upper bunk! The lower bunks, though easier to access, are very uncomfortable indeed IMHO, and I didn't get a lot of sleep on mine.

BTW, you can change into sleeping things/t-shirt if you wish, either in the cabin or in the wash facility area. It's not compulsary to sleep in your own clothes.