Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Night Train - Need help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/night-train-need-help-1024348/)

tracihorst Aug 31st, 2014 08:56 AM

Night Train - Need help

I am having difficulty. I got on the DB website to book a sleeper compartment for me and a companion from Prague to Vienna. It says though that we also need to buy a ticket besides the sleeper compartment ticket which confuses me. What does this mean and why? does it need to be any ticket- first or second? I didn't see why there were options for this ticket to buy this extra ticket. it just listed the different sleeper compartments and what was available. How do I ensure we will be the only two in the compartment?
any help you can give me will be so appreciated.

PalenQ Aug 31st, 2014 09:18 AM

Night train s- you pay the basic rail fare plus for a sleeping option - you want a T-2 - private double you do not want a couchette - a multi-person compartment with strangers of each sex.

sleeper compartments are in the Sleeping Car - only consisting of private singles, doubles and triples (Single; T-2; T-3)

Couchettes are in a couchette car.

Not sure of what bahn.de showed but if you scour these IMO fantastic sites you may find more: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

nytraveler Aug 31st, 2014 10:12 AM

You do know that there are day time trains between the two that take only about 4.5 hours - no need to do a (very short) overnight train (only a little more than 6 hours). Not sure what you are going to do in Vienna at 6 am.

Man_in_seat_61 Aug 31st, 2014 10:40 AM

If you go to www.bahn.de/en and run an enquiry, find and select this train, you'll see prices for each type of couchette and sleeper, from 39 euros with a couchette in 6-berth, 49 euros with couchette in 4-berth, 69 euros with a bed in a 2-bed sleeper.

These prices include travel and berth supplement, so I don't understand your question.

adrienne Aug 31st, 2014 10:44 AM

<< I didn't see why there were options for this ticket to buy this extra ticket. >>

Some people have rail passes so only need to buy the sleeper supplement. That's why there is an option for sleeper only. The same is true of seat reservations. You can buy them after purchasing the regular train ticket or for use with a rail pass.

I would take a day train.

Man_in_seat_61 Aug 31st, 2014 11:33 PM

OK, I have 'read between the lines' of your original question.

If you go online to bahn.de/en and run the enquiry then find and select this train, you will see INCLUSIVE prices covering travel AND a berth, as I said in my post above.

When you say 'It says though that we also need to buy a ticket besides the sleeper compartment ticket' I'm now guessing you read some unrelated text somewhere on their site, nothing to do with the actual booking process for this particular train?

If so, ignore it, just book the train.

PalenQ Sep 7th, 2014 08:06 AM

I still find www.banhn.de confusing as to the options on pricing - I'll see if I can do it>

I just do not see how you can book this train - nothing happens when I try to select the full-fare option.

Can this train be booked on www.bahn.de since it does not involve travel in Germany?