Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Night train from Vienna to Krakow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/night-train-from-vienna-to-krakow-889751/)

ccf728 May 7th, 2011 01:05 PM

Night train from Vienna to Krakow

Myself and one other person are planning to take the night train from Vienna to Krakow on Sunday, 5/29. We want the 2 bed sleeper compartment - my question is what exactly is the difference between first and second class? Is there much of a difference for a night train?

I was quoted € 39 per person in 2nd class + a € 39 per person supplement for the sleeping car in 2nd class. For 1st class I was told it was € 98,60 per person + a € 91 supplement for a single sleeping car (so I'm not sure if there even is an option of a first class 2 bed sleeper...)

I was originally going to go with first class because of safety issues & thinking it would be more comfortable, but for the price I'm now thinking about just doing 2nd...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

spaarne May 7th, 2011 01:28 PM

The prices (where did you get them?) for first class seem to be too high. I think that 1st class is normally about 50% more than 2nd class.

In 1st class you are likely to have a full bathroom in your cabin. In 2nd class you use the toilet at the end of the car, though there will probably be a wash basin in your cabin. Breakfast in your cabin is often served in 1st class.

For an illustrated introduction to night trains see http://tinyurl.com/y57vft. For schedules see http://tinyurl.com/c9jp54.

What safety issues? Your door will have at least one lock.

PalenQ May 7th, 2011 01:47 PM

check out spaarne's good sites and also these info-laden sites that may answer your question as well - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.

do the prices in euros come from Austrian Railways web site?

ccf728 May 7th, 2011 02:17 PM

I got the prices directly from Austrian Railways OBB. At first I called the number listed on their website & was told it was 117 euros per person. However, the person I spoke to told me she only spoke a little English, so just to confirm I also emailed them at [email protected], which is where I received the prices I listed above.

For safety issues, I was just referring to the fact that we will be two females traveling alone on a night train, but as long as we can lock the doors, that's not an issue.

One more question - do the sleeping compartments typically sell out, or is there a good chance we can still get them when we arrive in Vienna a few days earlier?

Man_in_seat_61 May 7th, 2011 07:28 PM

'Class' is a dangerous and potentially misleading concept for overnight trains.

First, because we could be talking 2nd class seat, or a 2nd class couchette, or a 2nd class sleeper. I'd actually argue that on night trains, the three 'classes' are in reality seat, couchette and sleeper, NOT '1st class' and '2nd class'. A 1st class seat is less comfortable (and less safe) than a 2nd class couchette! And as we'll see, a bed in the sleeper is identical whether you have a 1st class or 2nd class ticket.

OK, so here we're talking 'sleeper'.

The sleeping-car used on this route has ten identical compartments. Each compartment can be used with one, two or three beds folded out, for single, double and triple occupancy.

Traditonally, single and double occupancy required a 1st class ticket, while a bed in a 3-bed sleeper only required a 2nd class ticket. But things changed a few years ago, and now a 1st class ticket is only required for single occupancy whilrst only a 2nd class ticket (plus the appropriate supplement, obviously) is necessary to travel in a 2 bed or 3 bed sleeper.

So, the compartments are IDENTICAL, we fold the second bed out from the wall and 'hey presto' a 1st class sleeper becomes a 2nd class sleeper, we fold it back again click! (sound of catch clicking) and bingo, it's back to first class. Same room, same beds, sam washbasin, same everything, indeed on one trip a bottom bunk could be occupied by a 2nd class ticket holder with one or two more bunks folded out above them, on the next trip the sleeping-car does the very same bed could be occupied by a 1st class ticket holder having sole occupancy.

So by all means go first class if you and your friend have money to burn and want to have a compartment each (i.e. you'll be in separate compartments) but why not just go 2nd class, save money, and share a sleeper compartment in 2-berth mode? Same comfort.

Incidentally, I don't think this particular sleeping-car is the sort which has two or three 'deluxe' compartments with en suite shower and toilet, although the Vienna-Warsaw sleeper has these.

For advice on sleepers, see www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm

Man_in_seat_61 May 7th, 2011 07:28 PM

'Class' is a dangerous and potentially misleading concept for overnight trains.

First, because we could be talking 2nd class seat, or a 2nd class couchette, or a 2nd class sleeper. I'd actually argue that on night trains, the three 'classes' are in reality seat, couchette and sleeper, NOT '1st class' and '2nd class'. A 1st class seat is less comfortable (and less safe) than a 2nd class couchette! And as we'll see, a bed in the sleeper is identical whether you have a 1st class or 2nd class ticket.

OK, so here we're talking 'sleeper'.

The sleeping-car used on this route has ten identical compartments. Each compartment can be used with one, two or three beds folded out, for single, double and triple occupancy.

Traditonally, single and double occupancy required a 1st class ticket, while a bed in a 3-bed sleeper only required a 2nd class ticket. But things changed a few years ago, and now a 1st class ticket is only required for single occupancy whilrst only a 2nd class ticket (plus the appropriate supplement, obviously) is necessary to travel in a 2 bed or 3 bed sleeper.

So, the compartments are IDENTICAL, we fold the second bed out from the wall and 'hey presto' a 1st class sleeper becomes a 2nd class sleeper, we fold it back again click! (sound of catch clicking) and bingo, it's back to first class. Same room, same beds, sam washbasin, same everything, indeed on one trip a bottom bunk could be occupied by a 2nd class ticket holder with one or two more bunks folded out above them, on the next trip the sleeping-car does the very same bed could be occupied by a 1st class ticket holder having sole occupancy.

So by all means go first class if you and your friend have money to burn and want to have a compartment each (i.e. you'll be in separate compartments) but why not just go 2nd class, save money, and share a sleeper compartment in 2-berth mode? Same comfort.

Incidentally, I don't think this particular sleeping-car is the sort which has two or three 'deluxe' compartments with en suite shower and toilet, although the Vienna-Warsaw sleeper has these.

For advice on sleepers, see www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm