Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

night train from Paris to Venice how long are the wagonlit beds

Jan 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thinking about travelling overnight from Paris to Venice in a 2 person wagonlit. We are 6ft2 and 6ft4 - Does anyone know how long the beds are?
PS Last time I travelled on a sleeper train was in Yugolslavia in the 1980s, I got leg cramps because the bed was only 6ft long.
Jan 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM

www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

You can look at the pictures here I did it once.

Personally am over 6 feet and did not find them comfortable.

Did not sleep well small got some leg cramps "train lag" after

These days I get a nice star hotel room from $80 or so

www.betterbidding.com similar money really.

and take a nice cheaper day train to sleep better and see more

Happy Deciding,
Jan 7th, 2011, 04:31 AM

It will depend upon the rolling stock in use. I am over 6 feet and have had absolutely NO comfort problems on Trenhotel beds (Zurich-Barcelona and Barcelona-Milano) or on various CityNightLine equipment..but your route, as I recall is neither of those services.
Jan 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM

I'm 6'2" and have no problem.

It's really not as simple as bed length, anyway.

Even if a bed were to be an inch or two shorter than you are, as long as your feet can project over the edge of the bed in a fold of the sheet and blanket in the few inches empty space between the end of the berth and the wall/window, what's the problem?

And what about the factor of bed width, as surely the DIAGONAL dimension of a bed allows you to stretch out longer than the nominal bed length?

On the other hand, I have had problems on an Indian train in AC2 in the longtudinal berths, where a solid partition limits the bed length at head and foot, and they're narrow, so 6' really is 6'. In the transverse berths, no problem, as feet can project an inch of two if necessary.

I've also been in a sleeper top bunk that in theory was as long as I am tall, but the inward curvature of the roof meant I couldn't lie on my back with my (size 11!) feet pointing up, which was uncomfortable.

So as I say, not a simple issue!
Jan 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I agree, Man in seat 61, not simple. We even have trouble with normal beds that have foot boards. Luckily most hotels have ensemble beds that are open at the end. When I book apartments, I always check out the bed first!

I have decided that it is not worth the risk - we will fly or take the day train instead.
Jan 9th, 2011, 03:59 AM

There's no need to fly - the middle and bottom bunks (oin 3-bed mode, or both the upper and lower in 2-bed mode) on the Artesia sleeper trains are absolutely fine for 6'4". Not only are the beds long enough for me at 6'2", there's a gap both at the head end and foot end, so you're not limited to the bed length, feet can project easily enough in a fold of blanket and sheet. The beds in those sleepers are also reasonably wide.
Jan 9th, 2011, 03:59 AM

There's no need to fly - the middle and bottom bunks (oin 3-bed mode, or both the upper and lower in 2-bed mode) on the Artesia sleeper trains are absolutely fine for 6'4". Not only are the beds long enough for me at 6'2", there's a gap both at the head end and foot end, so you're not limited to the bed length, feet can project easily enough in a fold of blanket and sheet. The beds in those sleepers are also reasonably wide.