Nieuwmarkt area & Blue Orange Hotel?

Aug 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Nieuwmarkt area & Blue Orange Hotel?

Hey all,

I am a travel professional that frequently assists others in Fodor's section on Costa Rica. So I thought I would ask the gang here for some Amsterdam help.

We have arranged for a group of friends to stay in several apartments in the Nieuwmarkt area. We stayed here last year and loved it. We were going to stay near them. But the building that our apartment is in, has failed it's fire inspection. So we are seeking something in the area.

We have heard that the Blue Orange Hotel has a nice studio apartment, and we are trying to contact them. But we can not find a direct telephone number. Can anyone assist with this? Can a resident find a phone number for me?

Also, do you know of any reasonably priced B&Bs or apartments close to Nieuwmarkt?

We might also be interested in an exchange for our house in Monteverde, Costa Rica. If that helps. But is not mandatory.

Please feel free to post here, or Email me directly.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Pat Hewitt
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM

Sorry - I have looked int the Amsterdam phone book and the Yellow Pages and it is not listed.

Can't help with palces to stay either - hopefully someone else can. This site has a list of cheap accomodation http://tinyurl.com/2nqfd7
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM

these people might be able to help.

Absolute Amsterdam apartments
Mob: +31(0)6-52103719
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the input. I actually scrolled through some of the postings in this forum, and found a posting that mentioned the "Sunhead of 1617" B&B.

Is anyone familiar with this establishment? It appears to be a fairly short walk to Nieuwmarkt. The address is: Herengracht 152. Can anyone guess on the distance to Nieuwmarkt?

Many guests who have stayed there gave it rave reviews on trip advisor.

They had the space, and we are in the process of booking it. We are staying in the "Yellow Narcissus Room". Looks great.

I will post a report when we return (mid-October).

Thanks again,

Pat Hewitt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM

It won't take long to walk, it's maybe 1km. You will go through the RLD to get to Nieuwemarkt.
Have a beer at Het IJ brewery whilst you are there!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Kaspar? Is that you?

We tried to find the brewery last year, and got lost. Still had a good day, but missed out on the special brew.

I have this on the "to do" list this year. I will bring my group of 14 beer drinking friends!

Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

Nope I'm not Kasper

The brewery is on the Funenkade, which is towards Artis (the zoo). Free tour every Friday at 4 pm or make an appointment and pay €3 with no tasting, or €5 with tasting.
There is a pub on the Nieuwemarkt, can't remember the name, which sells the beer.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like some pub "research" is in order. I will make it a priority!

Best,
Pat