Niesen or Niederhorn?

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niesen or Niederhorn?

Heading back to Switzerland in 6 weeks. My umpteenth trip, but travelmate's first.
We have a day of leisure, considering Niederhorn or Niesen as a low hassle/ chill day (no hike).
In YOUR Experience, which if these TWO make for a more pleasant day outing?
I realize that Niederhorn can be combined with a Lake Thun boat cruise, but Niesen is the more quintessential "triangle mountain", and a bit higher....
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 03:17 AM

The historic mountain hotel at the top of Niesen has to be reached by historic funicular (rope railway) from Mulenen train station.The Niesen trip too can be combined with a boat cruise from Thun or Interlaken to Spiez where you can change to the train. Some people ply along the whole lake, because the change between boat and train is much easier at Thun and at Interlaken West than at Spiez. But do the mountain first and the Lake cruise in the afternoon.
Niederhorn is reached by funicular from Beatenbucht plus modern gondola from Beatenberg. Niederhorn ofers hiking possibilities in all directins whereas from Niesen yoou can only go down (on very steep paths) to either Kandertal or Simmental.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 05:32 AM

The view from Niederhorn was less exciting than from Niesen if I recall correctly.

Another idea is nearby Stockhorn. Nice hikes there between middle station and top. I recall two little mountain lakes.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Both sound a little underwhelming, so I may still cast about for another possibility.
Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 01:51 AM

In my opinion the views from the top of the Niesen over the Thunersee are outstanding.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I'm watching v-logs of hikes of all 3 on YouTube (Niesen, Niederhorn and Stockhorn).
My biggest issue is that I have a certain fear of open heights when coupled with narrow, rocky paths.

We will have already hiked Grindelwald-->First-->Bachalpsee, so I think the Stockhorn hike would be too similar.
Back to Niderhorn vs Niesen.
Looking for a relatively hassle-free transport day with a short one hour hike.....
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I've ultimately decided on neither!
If good weather, will spend our "easy" day hiking from Iseltwald to Giessbach Falls, along Lake Brienz.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 12:12 AM

> My biggest issue is that I have a certain fear of open heights when coupled with narrow, rocky paths
You will certainly avoid that ;-)