3-week Italy Itinerary

Search

3-week Italy Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3-week Italy Itinerary

I posted about our 3-week trip to Italy a few months ago, and I received wonderful advice from bobthenavigator, StuDudley, and others. Based on their advice, I have made some changes and wanted to post the revised itinerary. We had originally planned on going in June, but due to scheduling issues, we're now going in September.

Sept. 7th - fly to Venice
Sept. 8 - 12 Venice (hoping to stay at Pensione La Calcina - trying to confirm with hotel)

Sept. 12 - 15 Florence (confirmed with Tourist House Ghiberti)

Sept 15 - 16 Siena (confirmed with Palazzo Ravizza) - we're overnighting here to meet friends flying in to join us at our villa; we're picking up a car in Siena on the morning of the 16th

Sept. 16 - 23 Villa Il Tribbio (confirmed) in San Giovanni d'Asso. We're going to make liberal use of the 20-page itinerary generously provided by StuDudley to plan day trips to various hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria.

Sept. 23 - drive to Orvieto, drop off car, spend day in Orvieto, then on to Rome.

Sept. 23 - 30 Rome -- I haven't confirmed a hotel yet, but I have it narrowed down to Albergo Cesari or Residenza Canali. I have read all the threads here on both places, as well as tripadvisor.com, and I still can't decide!

Sept. 30 - fly home

Has anyone ever stayed at Villa Il Tribbio? I understand it was renovated last year, and it is unclear whether the Villa was being rented out before that. I have not found any reviews for that villa on Slowtrav, but I did find a thread here where someone reviewed another villa run by the same person. Any thoughts on San Giovanni d'Asso as a base?

Also, I know there are a million threads on the subject, but if anyone has any recent experiences at either Albergo Cesari or Residenza Canali that would help me decide between the two, please weigh in.

As always, I can't thank the fodorites enough for the wealth of information here - what a great resource! I am already compiling a list of recommended restaurants thanks to all the reviews here.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
ira

Looks like a great trip, abby.

You're going at a great time of year. The porcini mushrooms will be in season.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ira. I love porcinis and can hardly wait!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I don't have experience with those hotels, but your itinerary sounds perfect. Have a great time!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:41 PM

>>Any thoughts on San Giovanni d'Asso as a base?<<

Very good base. We went to a spring truffle dinner there in '04. Nice old fortress, and there is a restaurant in town our friends like. There is also a enjoyable "wild" garden that's quite unusual & interesting. Ask your proprietor how to get there (it's not hard)

Your itinerary is perfect.

Stu Dudley

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, StuDudley! I narrowed my focus to that area after reading the good things you had to say about the Val d'Orcia. Your 20-page itinerary has been a HUGE help to me.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Terrific trip--you will have fun.
I do not know that Villa but I do like the location. This looks like a trip I would plan for myself---but I may have picked Sant Antonio in Tuscany and would opt for Cesari in Rome. You are a quick study.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, bobthenavigator! I really appreciate your input -- you are always so helpful! I will probably opt for Cesari, as well -- although I am intrigued by the location of Canali (just north of P. Navona).
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I was just quoted a great price for Hotel Ponte Sisto -- so now that's in the mix, as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Albergo Cesari and Hotel Ponte Sisto have quoted me nearly identical prices. Any thoughts/preferences as to which I should choose?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:13 AM

We are renting the very same villa (entire)in Oct 2006! I've found other info out on the web, however, no reviews. The villa also goes by the name Olivella (through HiddenItaly.com) and Villa Andrea (not sure of URL, but I'll get it to you if needed).

StuDudley & bobthenavigator (whether they know it or not) have been a huge help to us in deciding on an area to make our base.

Federica, owner of the villa, turned me onto Roberto the tour guide. He recommended a hotel in Rome, which we booked, called Modigliani. Prices were pretty good and read some great reivews.

I'm glad you're going first this way you can give me the "pros and cons" and hopefully some good tips.

Donna
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM

>>StuDudley & bobthenavigator (whether they know it or not) have been a huge help to us in deciding on an area to make our base.<<

Now I know !!! Glad I could help. Actually, we'll be in the area in June, staying with our friends in San Quirico again. SQ is having a medieval festival the first weekend we'll be there.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM

StuDudley - I just emailed you to send me the trip itinerary that everyone is raving about! Can't wait to check it out. We've never been to Tuscany so we were so "green" when we started planning. Thank God for Slow Trav and Fodors (and you & bob).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I have styed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto three times and always love it. The rooms are small but where are they not?

I can't comment on the other hotel.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Tough call Abby !
Ponte Sisto is a cutesy boutique hotel and nice, but the Cesari has a nearly perfect location.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Donna - I am excited to hear that you are staying at the same villa! I didn't know it had other names. Federica has been very pleasant to deal with, and I am excited about our stay. I'll definitely report back after the trip!

offwego - thanks for the input on the Ponte Sisto! The reviews for the hotel are great, and it looks like a lovely place.

bobthenavigator - I think the location of the Cesari will ultimately cause us to choose that over the Ponte Sisto. I am anxious to book something, so I'll probably confirm w/ Cesari tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

StuDudley - Your itinerary is very popular around here. Thanks again for sharing it!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Abby97
I have a question on how you paid for the deposit. Did you wire the money? I found out today that to wire it cost about $45 USD plus Federica wants me to send an additional 30 euro for fees on her end. That's crazy. I thought I'd send a check and convert to USD - but she wants the check in Euro. I went to my local bank and they don't write bank checks in euro.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to send money to Italy without spending huge amounts in wire fees? She doesn't take credit cards.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Donna -

We did end up wiring the money. The other option we explored was having AmEx give us travellers checks in euros and sending those. I couldn't think how else to do it . . .
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM

abby97
loved your report. Can you put me in touch with Stu Dudley;would please ask him for a copy of his 21 page itinerary, but not sure how to reach him in this forum. Any advice. Help Stu. [email protected]
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi homesteaders -

You can e-mail StuDudley at [email protected] for the itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -