Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nice, Villefranche sur-mer etc, Hotel with nice pool (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-villefranche-sur-mer-etc-hotel-with-nice-pool-699338/)

traveler4ever Apr 23rd, 2007 10:32 AM

Nice, Villefranche sur-mer etc, Hotel with nice pool

Nice, Villefranche sur-mer etc, Hotel with nice pool..any recommendations?

Prefer to stay in the $200 a night range

kappa Apr 23rd, 2007 11:12 AM

Nice - the first hotel with a pool comes to my mind : Hotel Palais De La Mediterranee on the promenade des anglais has a somewhat large pool.

Villefranche-Sur-Mer is such a small village like size I cannot think of any hotel with it's own pool, at least in the village center but perhaps I have not spent enough time to the place well.

dena Apr 23rd, 2007 12:17 PM

Hi traveler4ever,

I do not know about Nice, but check out the Villefranche wesite, it is www.villefranche-sur-mer.com. Under the "tourism" section that is in English, as you scroll over it you will see "useful numbers", scroll over that and you will see "hotels". Click on that and you can specify hotels with a pool and see what comes up. Villefranche is a small village, Nice is a big city. IMO, two different experiences. When are you going? The hotels in Villefranche are much more low key than what you will find in Nice, so again, it depends on what you are looking for. Please let me know if I can help any further. Good luck and enjoy!

Weadles Apr 23rd, 2007 06:00 PM

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a hotel with pool for $200/night. Palais de la Mediterranee in Nice will be way over your budget if you're going in the warmer months. You could check Hotel Splendide in Nice, but I think that's probably not in your budget, either. There's also the Radisson in Nice which has a large rooftop pool, but I don't think much of the location ( way down the Promenade headed toward the airport) or the hotel.

traveler4ever Apr 23rd, 2007 06:25 PM

thanks dena--we are going in june, villefranche is an option we can budge onn our budget, but no idea where to go. we want pool beach sun

dena Apr 23rd, 2007 06:41 PM

Hi traveler4ever,

You will get pool, beach and sun at either location. The beaches in Villefranche are not really sandy beaches like in the States, they are more like pebbles or small rocks. I am not sure about Nice's beaches, though I am sure someone else on this forum would know. Perhaps if you search Nice beaches in the search box you will find that information. June is a great month in Villefranche, I will be there as well. If you tell us more of your what you are looking for, perhaps we can help. Good luck, planning is so much fun.

RonZ Apr 23rd, 2007 09:54 PM

For a pool, the Versailles in Villefranche-sur-Mer. Rooms with balconies overlooking the beautiful bay. The Flore next door has a pool also, but it's too small to be of any use.

Weadles Apr 24th, 2007 03:33 AM

Nice's beaches are pebbles, too. Most people spend their day at one of the many clubs that line the Promenade des Anglais. These cost about $20 or so a day per person for chaise, towel, and umbrella, but have changing facilities, clean bathrooms, and small restaurants. There's a small sandy beach just outside St. Jean de Cap, but that's the only one I can think of in the immediate area.