Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nice velour track suit okay for JFK to Budapest flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a nice (no suggestive slogans)black velour track suit that I am thinking of wearing on my flight from JFK to Budapest. I would wear it with nice shoes and accessories, with makeup and hair fixed. I was hoping to be warm and comfortable. Is this appropriate or too casual?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Whatever anyone else thinks will not affect your comfort. Go for it.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Delaine.. that should be fine. I would however go with some comfortable shoes and not really worry to much about hair and make-up. You did not mention departure city. But if you have a connection overseas, you can do hair and makeup at the airport.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Oops on the departure city thing.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM

You can wear whatever you want. I have seen a lot of diferent things on flights.

However, my rule is that everything has to have multiple uses. Don't just wear it on the plane and then lug it around Europe until you come home. If you'll wear it again on the trip go for it, if not maybe consider something else.

I don't think anyone expects you to look great after an eight or ten hour transatlantic flight. So go comfy and if you feel the need, freshen up at the arrival airport.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies! Track suit it is. I'm sure I can wear it again, at least on the flight home from Prague.

My shoes are pumps of the Aerosoles/Easy Spirit variety that look normal but feel good and can easily be taken off for security or to put on Isotoner slippers.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Whatever you do, don't do what I did on my last overseas trip -- wear a white shirt. As soon as I got to the airport I bought a cup of Starbuck's coffee. The lid wasn't on properly so the coffee dripped down the side of the cup and landed on my shirt. Well, my nice new white tee-shirt had coffee stains all over it and I had to wear a sweater the next day to cover it up until I could get to my luggage. We are leaving on Monday for Paris and I'm going to wear jeans and a comfortable tee shirt (black). But I am going to keep my dog away from me before leaving for the airport so I'm not covered in dog hair. That's not much better than coffee stains. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<I would wear it with nice shoes and accessories, with makeup and hair fixed. I was hoping to be warm and comfortable. Is this appropriate or too casual?>>

LOL Delaine, i certainly wouldn't describe it as too casual, in fact I'm sure it will pass the most rigorous scrutiny of the fashion police at budapest.

Don't forget that legs and feet tend to swell on long-haul flights and what was comfortable when you took off may not be so when you land. Really, I'd save those nice shoes etc. for your night out at the opera, rather than your flight.

regards, ann

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I am probably of the opposite opinion to many.I always advocate wearing what you like (if you are happy wearing something then other folks opinion does not matter),but why waste a really nice new outfit travelling.
When I go on holiday I wear older comfortable but clean clothes,something if it gets spilt on on crunpled will be of no worry to me.when i get to my destination these items then can go in the trash and i have plenty of other stuff to wear ,including any nice outfit i have bought for my holiday as well as a little extra room in my luggage for taking things home.
I have recently returned from a trip to the Baltic States and wore an old pair of trekking tousers and an old polo shirt both of which had seen better days,12 hours of travelling 2 flights ,2 airports plus coach transfer from airport my clothes and myself looked like cr*p and I was quite happy to dispose of my travelling gear in the bin.
My adive is keep your new outfit for your holiday and not your travelling day.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Just realise you will be visiting Prague,it is almost my second home i have visited there so many times and hope to visit again in the spring.if I can be of any help just ask.
BTW I am getting on in years so no questions about night clubbing and the best places to find the young crowd.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM
yk

Seriously, no one will care what you wear on the flight as long as:

1) your clothes are clean
2) you are not exposing any parts of your body that others may consider indecent

I also don't wear any jewelry on the plane, except for my wedding band, mainly because I don't want anything that may potentially set off the metal detector at the security check. I have seen women with rings on all 10 fingers, and the TSA agent asked them to take all the rings off - which took forever.

As for makeup, I clean my face off as soon as I'm ready to sleep. I carry with me wet cleaning cloths. I seriously don't care how I look when I get off the plane.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
sac

My biggest concern, when I'm dressing for a flight, is finding an outfit that I could also wear for a few days right after landing if my luggage is lost.

I'm not sure I'd wear a track suit, or clothes I'm ready to trash, for that reason. Would you want to go for dinner a few nights in Budapest in a track suit?

Of course, you might be able to find replacement clothes right away. I'm tall and not easy to fit, so it would be a bit difficult for me to go shopping in a new city and right away find replacements for everything in my lost luggage.

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM

We do carry-on only. I don't want to even think about lost luggage.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have seen people wearing tank tops and flip flops on transatlantic flights, so I don't see why a track suit would be too casual. They are quite common on planes.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These days there's no need to worry about looking smart on a plane - that was the good old days. However, the advice to consider what happens if your luggage is delayed (never mind lost!) is good. I wear the most comfortable of travel outfits on the plane, and have spare underwear, socks and top in my carry-on. I carry a sweater (unless it's summer) and a coat.

On the accessories, if you mean jewelry, you do know not to travel with anything you'd be upset losing, right? And makeup and hairdo are unlikely to survive a night on the plane, if you're in economy.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM

One thing to consider - on my last two transatlantic flights the temperatures were, at times, very, very warm - so you might want to have something that won't set you to steaming if the cabin temps rise unpleasantly. My flights were full, and all those people in a small space give off a lot of heat. Maybe a very light tee-shirt under the track suit top (you don't want to risk getting too cold, either, since blankets may or may not be available). Then you have some flexibility without having to try to get to your carry-on.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM

No one cares what people where on a plane anymore as long as it's clean and not too body revealing. Dressing up, on flights, went out decades ago. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM

<i>Seriously, no one will care what you wear on the flight as long as:

1) your clothes are clean
2) you are not exposing any parts of your body that others may consider indecent</i>

But what about if you don't even care about what others think?

I simply don't worry about it. I dress casually for flights - usually jeans and a t-shirt - and could care less what people think of me. This applies regardless of whether I am in coach or first class.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Usually, I wear black slacks with elastic in the waistband, a 3/4 sleeve black t-shirt and a large shawl, which seems to be the most important thing I take! It can dress things up, hide coffee spills, keep me warm...

I wear low socks with black Merrills or Clarks open back shoes.

I go for comfort, a minimum of wrinkles and still looking decent for arrival. This will really be tested on our trip in 3 weeks, as it will take 4 flights to get to our destination.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM

No one really cares what you wear. Most would be concerned if you stink of body odor or perfume, or were overweight. The days of thinking of flying as a special event are long past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -