Nice to Rome

Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster
Nice to Rome

I now have tickets into Nice and out of Rome two weeks later. We have spent a week in Provence and have been to Rome before. We are hoping for a relaxed trip along the coast. Haven't decided yet about car or train, but we will probably do a little of both. Has anyone made that run? What were your favorite towns along the way? We mostly love to amble through small villages as opposed to a lot of time in museums or at concerts. PJK
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Take the train to San Remo, and rent a car there. Or go all the way to Florence. And rent there, once you have given yourself a chance to see the city a bit. Use the car to explore Tuscany and/or Umbria, before you get to Rome.

I couldn't/wouldn't advise you on coastal destinations long the way (such as Cinque Terre, for example), as I have not been exploring in that part of Italy. But I have driven the main autostrada from San Remo to Florence - - and there is no real "coastal" route. The terrain is too craggy to have allowed for the construction of such a road. It's tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge, over and over (154 times, to be exact).

No doubt there are small villages (before you actually get to Tuscany), but there are dozens of them in Tuscany and Umbria.

Best wishes,

Search this Thread