Nice, Santa Margharita Ligure and ???

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Nancy

Nice, Santa Margharita Ligure and ???

My husband and I are trying to iron out our vacation plans and have hit a snag. I wanted France, he wanted Italy, so we compromised on Nice, taking the train to Santa Margahrita Ligure. We are flying in and out of Nice in May. Would like to add a third stop, taking the train again. Any ideas?? He mentioned going up to Turin, but I am kind of iffy on that after searching some thoughts from this forum. I was thinking about Lyon, how difficlut or long would that train ride be?? Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks..Nancy

Mar 5th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Topper

TTT

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Patrick

You have not told us how much time you have for this trip. Will you be staying in each of the three places for more than a day or two so that you will have ample time to do various day trips out?
Lyon is about 4 1/2 hours by train from Nice, no problem, but certainly gives you the edge since you wanted France. And since you're flying in and out of Nice, you have along haul between Santa Margharita and Lyon. An obvious choice is Monte Carlo -- neither France nor Italy, but you may just be doing that as a day trip from Nice as it is so close. Another option might be to go to Stresa -- between 3 and 4 hours from Santa Margharita, and then complete the circle by taking the train back to Nice (about 6 hours). I would suggest Bellagio, but Stresa is easier to get to than Bellagio. A stay at the lakes would be a nice change from the other two locations and May is a perfect time for it.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Nancy

Patrick, thanks for the posting. I have 14 days for this trip. I am trying to keep it simple, not too many hotel changes. I have been to Nice before, so I have an idea of day trips that I can do, same with Santa Marguarita Ligure. Always open for suggestions though!! Stresa does sound nice, I did stay there overnight a few years ago, but would gladly return!! I probably should check out the train schedules abit..so much work!!

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Patrick

OK, I was thinking you were probably trying to accomplish this all in about a week.
For train schedules go to www.eurorail.com/railsked.htm
Enter possible cities and you will get all the times easily.

Here's another idea. How about a high speed boat from Nice to Corsica for four or five of the days? Although it is France, your husband will think he's in Italy. See www.corsicaferries.com for schedules and prices.

Mar 6th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Patrick

Can't believe how far this has gone since late last night. Topping for Nancy.

Mar 6th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Kentonio

Hi Nancy. I might think about something closer than Lyon. From Nice you're an easy couple of hours to the Luberon, which really is as nice as they say. A little place in Magrebe (say, Bastide de Marie) or Gordes could be fun. Even closer, you can shoot up to St Paul de Vence in the hills above Nice, maybe a half hour away. (The Columbe d'Or is great). Or from Santa Margarita, you're an easy jaunt to Tuscany. Sienna or San Gimigiano would be my choice there, or maybe Pievoscola (La Suvera). I also like the other person's idea of Corsica, although I might want to balance out the coast time with something more inland. Either way, this is an enviable dilemma. Have fun!

Mar 6th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Nancy

Gee, this forum has been busy!! Patrick, thanks for topping or I never would have found my post..Some good food for thought..so many good places, so little time..Re: Corsica, can you manage on the island without a car? I haven't even looked at that thought yet!! Any one know how long to Corsica from Nice, I know they have a fast boat..Nice idea. Enviable dilemma..made me laugh!!

Mar 6th, 2002, 07:45 PM
cal

Cinque Terre is not far from Santa Margarita by train. There are five wonderful little villages on the sea connected by a short train ride...or if you are into hiking. I was there last year, and thought I was in Paradise. Fresh wonderful seafood, lovely people, and incredible vistas. Its got France beat by miles.