Reload this Page >

Nice rooms in Rome under 600.00

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 02:18 PM
Linda McKay

Hi! We are traveling to Rome in October and like to stay in nice hotels, but was suprised at how expensive they are. Tried Hassler (1200.00) Excelsior (900.00) and Eden (they didn't have anything. Does anyone know of a very nice hotel in the Spanish Steps or Via Veneto area not quite so much? <BR>Thank-you in advance <BR>Linda McKay

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 12:43 PM
dimi

Hi Linda- did you try the Hotel Manfredi around the corner from the Spanish Steps on Via Magutta?

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 12:52 PM
Karen

Last October we stayed at the Intercontinental next door to the Hassler.Our room rate was around $400 US. The room was wonderful and the hotel service excellent. The Hassler was out of our budget also, but we did have a few drinks at their bar.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 07:32 PM
Jen Z

Okay, I'm not meaning to be snotty here or anything, but can someone please tell me why it's necessary to pay more than even 100$ for a hotel room? I could never justify anything over, say 120$, and that would only be if I couldn't find anything else. Either I'm really poor and a serious budget-conscious traveller, or logic tells me that such money is better spent elsewhere than somewhere where you'll be unconscious for eight hours a night, and otherwise be out. Please enlighten me!

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 07:40 PM
Patricia

Well, I have to be honest -- I don't spend $400 a night for a room normally, either. But that doesn't mean that I look down on people who can travel in a deluxe style. I drive a Chevy, but I don't look down on those people who drive a Mercedes. Personal choice is personal choice.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 10:35 PM
Jen Z

My dear Patricia: <BR>Like I said, I wasn't being snotty, just wanting to know what the point is. It's very difficult to get the right "tone" in print, you know...even more difficult when people jump to conclusions about what you're trying to say. I just want to know: why spend 400$ a night when you'll be asleep? I've stayed in some nice hotels, with ensuite bathrooms and comfortable beds, nice linens and towels, good locations, very clean and bright, and decent views, breakfast included...and I've only spent more than 85$US ONCE. I don't know why dollar value should have anything to do with it. That's all. I was under the impression that the whole point of this message board was to ask questions and have discussions... I was not looking for a cat fight. <BR> <BR>Linda...I'm sorry if you took my comments and questions the wrong way, as Patricia has. I didn't intend to sound critical. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 06:50 AM
I Love a good catfight

To Jen Z: looks like you're a bit too sensitive. I read the posts and it didn't seem to me that Patricia was looking for a fight. She's right - to each his/her own. And who cares if you stay in a $400 room or an $85 room? As long as you bring good memories back home.... <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 05:15 PM
penny

For those of us who can't travel if we have to pay the high prices you are talking about, can I suggest that there are hotels in good locations in Rome which will cost a lot less than the ones mentioned above. Try this web site - www.venere.it <BR> <BR>I also think it's more fun to stay in a mid price hotel which is not part of an international chain. The family run hotels give you a better appreciation of the locals. After all, how much time are you going to be there? I know, I leave after breakfast and often don't come back till bedtime, so why pay hundreds for that?

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 02:31 AM
Jen

Thank you, Penny. My point exactly.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 05:52 AM
Sal

<BR>Forget the Spanish Steps or Via Veneto.Want a great place to stay at? Try the Raphael Hotel on Via Largo Febo 50 feet from the Piazza Navona.Great location. Fantastic views of Rome from the roof top terrace. You won't regret it!!

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 11:04 AM
kam

Sometimes the hotel is part of the travel experience!! No need to get so overworked about things. If you really want to be near the Spanish step and Via Veneto (which is my favorite area of Rome--but everyone is free to have his own opiniion!) try La Residenza--pretty little hotel, good walking distance to some things, no restaurant but a wonderful breakfast buffet and Peppone's rist. is down the street. Enjoy! <BR>