Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   nice or cannes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-or-cannes-876147/)

ericao Feb 1st, 2011 12:31 PM

nice or cannes

Hi-my husband are planning a trip to france for our 1st anniversary. we would like to spend 4 nights in paris and then 4 nights in the south of france. we plan on just relaxing...going to beach or pool--walking around the shops etc. going out for dinner and drinks. should we stay in nice? or cannes? or monte carlo??

uncjat Feb 1st, 2011 12:35 PM

I think that Nice is by far the best option. Nice has a little bit of everything-- an old part of the town with restaurants and shops, a definitive type of food that is a combination of Italian and Provence, a regular city and great transportation options. I would stay there and take day trips to Monaco and Cannes. As a disclaimer, I should say that I've been to Monaco, but never Cannes so others might have a different opinion. We have been in Nice twice and really love it for a relaxing place to stay.

historytraveler Feb 1st, 2011 01:09 PM

Definitely Nice.

Judy Feb 1st, 2011 01:20 PM

When are you going?

Underhill Feb 1st, 2011 01:51 PM

If you want a sand beach, then Cannes. But Nice has much more to offer, as Cannes is essentially a large resort.

Kswl2 Feb 1st, 2011 02:55 PM

If you prefer a smaller place, you might try La Napoule. It is close to Cannes and is easily accessible by train if you are not renting a car. There is a small beach, a nice town and weekly market, and a lovely chateau that was restored in the 1980's and is open to the public with a small museum, tearoom and gardens. It is quiet and less expensive than Cannes. I have stayed there twice with almost 20 years between trips. No hotel recs as we were on a boat. Antibes has a similar vibe but will probably have nicer hotels.

I wouldn't stay in Monaco for a variety of reasons, beginning and ending with price.

tdk320n Feb 1st, 2011 04:47 PM

I would definitely choose NICE for a variety of reasons. Great city to explore, good restaurants, good inexpensive transportation to all other cities. If however you are a beach person, the beach in Cannes is better. Sand versus rocky in Nice.However the boardwalk (PROMENADE) in Nice is fabulous .
I love Nice and try to visit each year.

nytraveler Feb 1st, 2011 05:09 PM

Monte Carlo is tiny - smaller than Central park - and very expensive. Really for the uber wealthy.

Nice is a large city with a long-history (originally Phoenician) with a lot to see and do, great restaurants and a wonderful promenade. Beach is not great (most european beaches are sup par - gravel or pebbles versus the huge white sand beaches you fine many places). That where I would go but I'm not a beach person.

Cannes has a nicer beach - depending on your hotel - but doens;t have enough to do for my taste.

StuDudley Feb 1st, 2011 05:51 PM

We went to Nice on one of our first trips to France in about '79. On subsequent trips closely after that, we visited all the other cities/villages around there. Now, the only places where we stay on the coast are either in Nice or St Tropez. We've probably stayed in Nice for 5 weeks, St Tropez for 5 weeks, and in a gite just behind Nice for 4 weeks, plus 1 week in St Paul de Vence.

We stay at the Hotel Windsor in Nice.

Stu Dudley

latedaytraveler Feb 1st, 2011 05:59 PM

Another vote for Nice for all of the above reasons - and let's not forget the great museums there.

CYESQ Feb 1st, 2011 11:22 PM

Recommend Nice and in the center of town where you are close to buses and the train. You'll be able to walk to shops and the beach as well as taking day trips to Monaco, Cannes, Eze and into Italy. Personally, Cannes didn't do it for me; Monaco is good for a day trip but I wouldn't stay there. Also have stayed in a villa in Antibes which I would not recommend. The hotels in Nice can be expensive; suggest you check out Nicepebbles.com and Ownersdirect.com as options. Many very nice and convenient apartments available at a fraction of the cost of a hotel.

tarquin Feb 2nd, 2011 01:09 AM

I just got back from Nice last night. Because we stayed in an apartment with friends who were happy to drive, we covered a lot of ground, including Cannes, which is pleasant for a luxe feel with seafront restaurants and lots of shopping, but does not compare to the variety of things to see, buy and eat that you will find in Nice.

ericao Feb 2nd, 2011 06:19 AM

Thank you so much for all of your replies. It seems like everyone prefers Nice. However the reasons I am leaning toward Cannes is because the beach is better. We are going the second week of June and hopefully it will be warm enough to enjoy the beach and/or pool. Everyone mentions there is more to do in Nice...but meaning what? We really are not musuem people and we will be coming from Paris where we will sightsee, etc. When in the South we are looking to lay by the sea, walk around a bit, and go to dinners. So all that said, where is our best option? Nice or Cannes? Also regarding hotels, we are not into bed and breakfast type places. We prefer a more luxory hotel with modern emenities,etc. thanks again and I appreciate all your help! keep it coming:)

Mimar Feb 2nd, 2011 06:54 AM

If you don't have your plane tickets yet, you could fly open jaws (multi-city on web sites), into Paris, out of Nice. This would save you time and money backtracking to Paris. And you don't have much time.

Cannes is only about a 30 minute drive from the Nice airport. I personally prefer Nice: good food, many restaurants, the market, the architecture. And many options for daytrips by public transportation: Eze, Villefranche, Cap Ferrat, Monte Carlo, the Train des Pignes inland. Oh, and Cannes and Antibes.

But sounds like Cannes would suit you better. You can do many of these daytrips from there if you get bored.