Reload this Page >

NICE NEIGHBORHOOD AND PLACE TO STAY IN PARIS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:28 AM
SAM

WIFE AND I ARE GOING TO FRANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME WE WILL BE SPENDING AT LEAST TWO WEEKS WHAT ARE MUST SEE PLACES AND WHAT ARE GOOD NEIGHBORHOODS TO STAY IN (HOTEL OR FLAT ) <BR>WILL WEATHER STIL BE GOOD IN OCT. ? <BR>THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Fred

We've been going to Paris for 17 years in October. Weather then, as always, is very unpredictable and changeable. Could be mild and sunny, cool, cold, rainy. Better weather the 1st half than the 2nd half but again, no guarantees. Just be prepared with layers to put on or take off and umbrellas. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Bob Brown

Paris is the most heavily discussed city ln this forum. I suggest you try a few searches because trying to recapture the reams of expert advice that have crossed these pages in the past year is a monumental undertaking. A couple of good guide books might help, too. <BR> <BR>As for good areas, I think it depends on your budget and the type of accommodation you are looking for. <BR>I would say that virtually anywhere within the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 14th, 15th, or 16th Arrondissements would be satisfactory. The 16th is a high rent area as are some of the areas just west of the Arc de Triomphe. <BR>I don't think anything in Paris is cheap, however. If it is cheap, then my suspicions would be aroused. <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 06:15 AM
ann

Just got back from Paris. Loved Hotel Raphael in the 16th on Kleuber. Wonderful. Expensive, but well worth it

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:28 PM
e

Hello Sam: <BR>contact Barclayweb.com and get a apartment on Ile St.Louis that is what I did two years ago and had a great time. Barclay International is in NY. <BR>The weather will be a little chilly and rainy but Paris is a great city and should not be missed. Try to go in Sept. if possible. Have a great time. <BR> Ellen

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Book Chick

Sam, <BR>Each arrondisement of Paris has its pros & cons. The 1st contains the Louvre & a lot of elegant addresses & funky shops, but is also somewhat crowded. The 2nd houses the city's garment district, & the stock exchange. The 3rd contains the Picasso Museum, the city's old Jewish neighborhood & some gay bars. The 4th has been called one of the prettiest & most crowded & Notre Dame & St. Chapelle cathedrals are there. The 5th, also known as "The Latin Quarter" is renowned for students from the Sorbonne & their hangouts. The 6th contains the Jardins du Luxembourg, one of the city's most beloved parks, as well as a number of quaint shops. The city's first English bookstore & first female-owned bookstores are located here. The 7th is the home of the Eiffel Tower & a residential & street market area, it has a reputation for early mornings & is reputed to be quiet at night. The 8th has the Arc de Triomph & a good portion of the Champs Elysee; the haute couture stores are on the Champs. The 14th, Montparnasse, was the stomping grounds of famous American ex-patriates like Gertrude Stein, so literary cafes abound there. The 16th is indeed the home of the money-rich. <BR> <BR>My cousin & I are also going in October. We are staying in the 7th, as we hope to have an early start to each day & will be able to turn in each night without a lot of noise. <BR> <BR>Sam, the city is rather compact, and has lots of good, affordable public transportation. A carnet (10 tickets) will get you a ride on the Metro or the bus several times. In addition to that, you can take the batobus, which is a boat that will stop at intervals down the Seine. <BR> <BR>Your choice of arrondisement depends on your preferences, but I'd tend toward the lower numbers, personally. <BR> <BR>"Must see"? Arc de Triomph, Monmartre area, St.Chapelle, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Louvre. Rodin Museum & gardens are nice, as if you are not that much into art the gardens are still very pleasant. Depending again upon your preferences, the Musee d'Orsay, the Picasso Museum, Pere Lachaise Cemetary, the Jardins (or gardens): Jardins des Plantes, the Luxembourg, the Tuileries. You might want to take a train & do a day or half-day trip to Versailles, Chartres, or Fontainbleu, which is affordable & can be pleasant. <BR> <BR>Paris is just a lovely place to walk & if you will be there at least 2 weeks, you can explore the city on foot at your own pace, which should be lovely. As other folks have pointed out, the weather can be variable, so be prepared with layers & an umbrella. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>BC

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Jacqui

I was in Paris this past May with my husband and parents. We stayed in the 7th near the Eiffel Tower. The Metro was a five minute walk away as was the Eiffel. While there we explored other areas, but I would stay in the same area again. I loved have cafe around the corner from our hotel and looking up at the Eiffel Tower all light up. Also, the area we were in was residential and it was nice walking around looking at the houses with all the flower boxes or goin got the church down the street. The only thing about the 7th is that it is very quiet at night. Which of course is nice because not too many hotels have sound proofed windows. We weren't really the party crowd and were happy enough just to sit at the corner cafes until 12:30. If you're interested in hotel recommendations, please feel free to email me. We stayed at two in this area. I can email you the website links and contact info.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:56 AM
weeb

Metro Stop Dupleix didnot serve as a good first impression of Paris with graffiti all over buildings. Suggest not to arrive at night. Hotel sounded great with view of Eiffel Tower (from the closet window kinda) It was close to the Eiffel Tower, rue Viala, but wouldn't recommend the area close to that metro. A complete different impression even coming from the La Motte Picquet Grenelle Metro stop.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Paris

If you are spending 2 weeks in Paris you may want to consider spending 1 week on the left bank and another on the right. Change of venue will give you a better feel for the city and keep things fresh. As to specifics, there is plenty of info in the archives regarding hotels. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Intercontinential and enjoyed our stay immensely.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:42 AM
elaine

Hi Sam <BR>You need to consult a good guidebook to give you an overview of the <BR>"must-see" places. With two weeks available to you, you could spend a week in Paris and do several daytrips and not at all run out of things to do. <BR>The arrondissmenents (districts in Paris) that are single-digits are the most central, with 5,6, and 7 the most popular. You may find lower prices on flats that are located a little less-centrally. <BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it email me.