Nice locations for a stay in London

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Nice locations for a stay in London

Hi,

We will be spending 4 days in London in Nov. I am looking for some apts to rent for this period. I have been to London before but I am quite unfamiliar with the neighborhoods and being in the right location can make all the difference especially on short trips.

Could you please help me choose among these that I have shortlisted:

- Notting Hill
- Bayswater
- Little Venice
- Mayfair
- Kensington
- St James?
- Green Park

Are all these spots equally nice residential neighborhoods? Which would be most conveniently located in terms of tube access as well as distance to parks, museums and other sights.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM

They're all fine, and all are well served by the tube. Beware hoteliers using the word "Kensington" it is a pretty elastic definition and covers places like Olympia and Earls Court as well as Kensington itself.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:30 AM

All areas are quite convenient to the tube, though some area of Mayfair is 5-10min walk to either Green Park/Hyde Park Corner/Bond St. Also note Little Venice is in Zone 2, and I only know of only one noteworthy hotel (The Colonnade). You're more likely to find budget-conscious accomodations in Bayswater than in Mayfair.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am looking to rent an apartment via VRBO site. Some listings specifically say '5 min/3 min walk to tube stattion'...others merely say close to or within walking distance. Am wondering if this means that they are not really that close!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
kdd
Original Poster

What about Shepherd's Bush and West End areas? Are these nice neighborhoods?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Mayfair, St James and Green Park aren't really residential. Most houses and flats in Mayfair are either posh offices or pieds a terre owned by foreign kleptocrats, and that's even more so in St James and Green Park.

Perfectly pleasant neighbourhoods - even though the neighbours themselves aren't everyone's cup of tea. But not residential - and there's practically nothing at all open in what I'd call St James' (ie the area south of Green Park) at night.

For Kensington, to avoid the point audere makes, make sure you have the postcode and input it into multimap.com. More than a couple of hundred yards from Ken High St and they're stretching the definition beyond what most of us would call reasonable.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:48 AM

What about Shepherd's Bush and West End areas? Are these nice neighborhoods?>>>>>
I work in Shepherds Bush and I can think of nothing nice to say about it. It's a bit of a dump. It is popular with Antipodeans and Sith Effrikans and has several huge pubs that cater to them. It's also a dodgy area late at night.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
kdd
Original Poster

"Notting Hill Gate, 5 minutes from Notting Hill tube station" sounds good to me. This description would mean proper Notting Hill and not a stretch, correct?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Might be a bit pricey.

This is also 5 mins from Notting Hill tube:
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4722789/
but you can just about buy a 2 bedroom flat in the area for a milion quid.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
kdd
Original Poster

What neighborhood is the area near Warwick Ave/Maida Vale tube station? Is that Little Venice?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM

"Maida Vale" (where I live) covers general area around Maida Vale and Warwick Avenue tube station. Little Venice is a narrower area along the canal, Warwick Avenue is the closest tube station. It's a residential area, quite pleasant though not that convenient for sightseeing.

Just be careful, as I've seen places that should say Kilburn (such as Marriott) advertised as MV...
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

The Notting Hill/Kensington area though nice seems to be a bit far (not exactly walking distance) from the major sights. If the apt is 2 min from the tube station, would this matter that much, or am I bettr off staying in the Trafalgar Sq/WestEnd locations and be able to just walk to these places?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Sorry to be asking so many questions...

Iverna Gardens - is this proper Kensington area? Is this is nice neighborhood to consider for an apt?

many thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM

We just stayed at Mayfair House in the Shepherd's market area of Mayfair. Great flat with hotel quality services, close to tube, restaurants, St. James Park, Buck House, etc. Could walk almost anywhere.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Iverna Gardens is in Kensington proper - very close to the High Street Kens tube station.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM

We just stayed at Mayfair House in the Shepherd's market area of Mayfair. Great flat with hotel quality services, close to tube, restaurants, St. James Park, Buck House, etc.>>>>>>>#

To avoid confusion...Shepherd's Market is nothing to do with Shepherds Bush but is better known for a less salubrious branch of the service industry offered there....
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:01 AM

"Shepherd's Market is better known for a less salubrious branch of the service industry offered there"

Well, up to a point, Lord Whitehart.

No doubt all the neighbours are on the game. But have you ever seen a brawl, any soliciting in the street or any hassling of passers by - except when the patrons at the Muscled Artist have been on the chardonnay a bit too much?.

All good, clean fun. You could happily take your maiden aunt there. Might even get offered a good price.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Shepherds Market is crammed to the gills withy shiny suited hedgefund wallahs. Not my cuppa at all.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:30 AM

If I may tack on a related question .... there are six of us. I was able to secure lodging near the Kensington tube stop on Allen St for four of us, but I'm still working on a place for the other two. Right now, I have them booked at Hotel Caring, 24 Craven Hill Gardens - W2 3EA London. Can anyone comment on this neighborhood?

They are 1 1/2 miles away from the rest of us. I had hoped to find something closer, but everything I've found is either very expensive or gets poor reviews.

Thanks,

Sheila
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM
kdd
Original Poster

St Stephens Gardens - is this in the Notting hill/Notting Hill gate area proper? The apt description says a short walk to the Notting Hill Gate Tube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO