Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nice hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-hotels-418489/)

Delta_J Apr 3rd, 2004 03:55 AM

Nice hotels

Please help with selecting among the following hotels: Mecure Grimaldi, Mecure Prom. des Anglais. I will be traveling to Nice in April with 2 15 year olds for 4 days.
Suggestions on where to eat and what to do are welcomed.

Thanks!

4totravel Apr 3rd, 2004 04:14 AM

My family and I stayed at the Mercure Promenade des Anglais last summer. The location cannot be beat - directly across from the beach - close to the old city and the market - next to a park that had summer concerts - near the pedestrian area...being right on the Promenade was great...
I am not sure where the Grimaldi is? But if your choice is between Mercures......Promenade is a super location.

Underhill Apr 3rd, 2004 09:01 AM

I second the recommendation for the Mercure on the Prom. des Anglais--excellent central location, and if you can get a room with a sea view you'll walke up to the sun sparkling on the Mediterranean.

What do do? What do you enjoy doing? Nice offers museums (Matisse, Chagall), Roman ruins (up in the Cimiez district), beautiful old churches, rollerblading, the charms of Vieux Nice and the open-air market, the port...more than enough to keep you busy for 4 days. Will you have a car? That would extend your options.

Our favorite place to eat is in Vieux Nice: L'Ecurie, a Niçois/Italian restaurant with very good food, including pizza and pasta (be sure to try the tagliatelle au pistou, the Niçois version of pesto sauce). There are many cafés and restaurants in the Vieux Nice area, and one we like for breakfast and lunch is Le Pain Quotidien. It's on the corner right by the entrance to the underground parking lot beneath the Cours Saléya.

Have a marvelous time!

kappa Apr 3rd, 2004 09:19 AM

Our standard double room at Mercure Promenade des Anglais was quite spaceous where we stayed in 2002. We requested "with a sea view if possible" on the internet bookinmg site we used and got a narrow balcony with a side view of the sea. That wasn't bad considering the price we had (EUR 60.00 without breakfast but it was in November.)

We strolled . There were many nice looking restaurants in the old town areathere and we just decided one of them.

kappa Apr 3rd, 2004 09:20 AM

Our standard double room at Mercure Promenade des Anglais was quite spaceous where we stayed in 2002. We requested "with a sea view if possible" on a internet booking site we used and got a narrow balcony with a side view of the sea. That wasn't bad considering the rate we got (EUR 60.00 without breakfast but it was in November).

There were many nice looking restaurants in the old town area. We just strolled there and decided on one of them.

kappa Apr 3rd, 2004 09:28 AM

Oops, 1st post was before editing. Please read the 2nd one.

Delta_J Apr 3rd, 2004 10:39 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied I just book our rooms at Mecure Prom. des Anglais. We are not planning on getting a car however we would like to visit the follwoing places:
Vence
St. Paul de Vence
Monaco
Antibes
Are theses places doable without a car?

Underhill Apr 3rd, 2004 02:18 PM

You can go to St-Paul and Vence by bus. I'm pretty sure you can go to Monaco by train, and also to Cannes; Antibes should be accessible by bus also.