Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nice Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-hotels-169487/)

Jill Mar 7th, 2002 01:06 PM

Nice Hotels

Has anyone stayed at these hotel in Nice, France recently:<BR>Splendid<BR>Gounod<BR>West End<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!

ricksteves Mar 7th, 2002 01:10 PM

This is merely a response to her request:<BR><BR>Hotel Star<BR>Hotel de Petite Louvre<BR>Hotel Lorraine<BR>Hotel Windsor<BR>Hotel Vendome<BR>Hotel Mulhouse.<BR><BR>If Margo can post from her Hello Europe books, so can I. Who cares if I get a kickback for recommending these hotels. Thanks Fodors!<BR><BR>Rick<BR><BR>

Randall Smith Mar 7th, 2002 01:14 PM

Jill,<BR><BR>You might want to check out La Perouse, it is built into the cliff at the end of the promodade des Anglais and if I remember correctly it is about an 11 floor ride to where the rooms begin. It has three towers in the Michelin guide and is red for "Hotels agreables". <BR><BR>Have a good trip. You will love Nice, enjoy the old town and get some Socca and beer.<BR><BR>Ciao,<BR><BR>RJS

Mary Mar 7th, 2002 06:14 PM

Hi Jill,<BR><BR>We have stayed at both the Splendid and the Gounod (which have the same management). Feel free to email me directly.<BR>

Nice-lover Mar 9th, 2002 04:48 PM

We will stay in Nice in late August.<BR>I reserved the Albert 1st hotel, that is located exactly where I want to stay.<BR>But this hotel has a limited advertisement, so I would be glad to receive any possible feedback.<BR>Please respond with your opinions.

JO Mar 10th, 2002 04:03 AM

Hi Jill<BR>I stayed at the Gounod for a week last September. The Splendid is right next door and you can use the small swimming pool on the roof which was great for me as I was on my own.I was visiting my son who is working in Nice.I had pleasant room with a tiny balcony and a good bathroom, the air condioning was an essential. The buffet breakfast was fine but I have had better in 3 star hotels however I was not charged for it as I stayed a week.<BR>To sum up- the hotel is good value, rooms well maintained and OK but I am going to try somewhere else for my next<BR>visit in May<BR> I am going to ask my son to find me a room at the Windsor,Fontaine or Flore<BR> Hope this is helpful and you have a good trip. I adore the South of France. I was in Barcelona last week and wished I was in FRANCE - still only three weeks until I go to Burgundy for Easter!<BR>Jo

christine Mar 11th, 2002 06:29 PM

ok, i'm hooked. i have never been in this site and was hoping to find info on a hotel in nice, wow!!!!! everything i could ever want. even a reply from rick steves. i keep thinking i should stop, but keep hitting that "next 50 responses" button.

monica Mar 14th, 2002 04:20 PM

We stayed at the Westend a few years ago. It is right on the promenade. We got lucky and were upgraded to a suite, which was one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. By the way, we checked into the Westend at the last minute after being thoroughly disappointed with our hotel in Cannes (the Noga Hilton). If you can afford it, I would definitely pay the extra for a suite (which actually works out cheaper than a regular room in one of the luxury hotels). The restaurant in the hotel is also very good, nice atmosphere and great food.

ceci Mar 14th, 2002 04:39 PM

We're staying at a Radisson in Nice....on the Promenade de Anglaise(?)-is that a good or bad location?

monica Mar 14th, 2002 04:46 PM

It is a bit further down the promenade than other hotels and a good 30 miuntes walk from the old part of the city (which is very nice). However don't think it is that far so as to pose a real problem. I didn't stay there, but it looked nice (very Scandinavian, modern and clean). Friends stayed there and really liked it.