Reload this Page >

nice food pressies to take TO Scotland FROM the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Bounty

sssssssshhhhhhhhh! it's a surprise!!<BR><BR>anyone have any good ideas about what might be unique foodwise to take to Scotland, from the US? <BR><BR>I already know one thing I am taking as I know for sure one thing this person likes.<BR><BR>I thought of one other gag gift but I understand it's been done recently and would therefore be anticlimactic!<BR><BR>if you are from Scotland, you might be the recipient of this, so no peeking here! (comments welcome though, but no cheating afterwards! ~<BR><BR>thanks y'all, <BR><BR>signed - Bounty, the quicker picker upper.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Hootsmon

All I can say is, if it involves green beans and mushroom soup you can forget it!!<BR><BR>(Sorry chaps; little in-joke here).<BR><BR>Beth, don't be daft; you have enough to carry.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:14 AM
hummp

that goes for Haggis too.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:17 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about

humph! <BR><BR>outed so quickly I can see.<BR><BR~<BR><BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:18 AM
clever

maple syrop<BR>stonewall kitchen pancake mix<BR>paul Newmans pasta sauce(proceeds go to his children's charity)<BR>A live Lobster<BR>and of course, me

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Sarah

What part of the U.S are you visiting?Southwest I would take different southwestern sauces from salsa and on. If I were in Texas I would look for some kind of packaged meal of Texmex if such a thing exist or Barbeque sauce. Amish country (Pennslyvannia) shoe fly pie (a yummy pie of molasses and crumb topping way yummier than it sounds.... deep south any pie. Maple syrup from New England. Hawaii I would by some frozen chicken Lau Lau YUM (taro leaves wrapped around shredded chicken with fish and pork and steamed)! The planes have always been good about letting me store in freezer for 10 hour flight home. Nevertheless this was before September11 so I can't say that will happen now. I also like the coconut pudding instant in Hawaii. These come in dry packets not gourmet but good. On the west coast you can find an extraordinary amount of Asian sauces,noodles, mochi (rice cake as soft as human skin surrounding a sweet filling or even ice cream in some stores) and so on that you may have not been exposed to. I love Khalbi beef and KOA makes a mix for this available in Hawaii and I am guessing California also. Florida you have the whole Cubian/floridian influence on food. I always find dishes that are sort of sweet and hot (Spicey) but yummy. WHERE ARE YOU GOING MISSY! <BR><BR>If you are coming to NYC where I live you can buy a lot of what you would find in Europe in the way of amaizing pastries, cheeses (available in specialty stores like Zabars, vinegar factory, Balduccis) and the like. Truth be told I always like taking Belgian chocolates that are flown in to select stores on Madison Avenue. <BR><BR>Ok I am off to make Figgy Pudding have fun when you come!!!

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Sarah

hootman so funny on the string been mushroom soup thing. I think some people in my family think that is our own family traddition.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Esmerelda

Dear B,<BR>Anything with concord grape, as they don't generally have those products in the UK. (Jam, jelly or those gummy candies, which I think may be made by either Welch's or Smuckers or Knotts. Gee, I just re-read that & it's real helpful--not!) Something cranberry-flavored, as an alternative. Could/can you ship stuff to coincide with your arrival, so you don't have to lug it about? (Or could someone or some 38 you know do that for you, perhaps??) Flag stuff out now everywhere, that might also serve.<BR><BR>In any event, happy travels on the road!<BR><BR>Es & Quasi

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:14 PM
speedy

I've got a great jambalaya mix -- all you need to add is meat or fish. All one dish. Search for Little Cajun Outpost -- they have a website --

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:15 PM
meagain

In you qwest for the perfect food gift, don't forget Virginia peanuts or Maryland Crab Soup...Maybe even Old Bay Spice????

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Gregory

<BR><BR>Kellogs FROOT LOOPS!!!<BR><BR>I love them but I can't find them anywhere in the UK so when I come back from the US (3 or 4 times a year I bring back 2-3 packets in my suitcase)<BR><BR>Last week I was in Berlin and in a supermarket buying some coca cola I passed by the cereal section and saw FROOT LOOPS!! <BR>I has to buy 2 packets and pack them.<BR><BR>( Am I mad?? Probably but i do enjoy them- why don't Kellogs sell them here in the UK???)

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:36 PM
bounty

oh oh oh!<BR><BR>you guys are SO GOOD!!<BR><BR>I knew I would get great ideas.<BR><BR>speedy, I know who you are!! hee hee<BR><BR>and esmerelda, you too!<BR><BR>very clever dropped hints all.<BR><BR~<BR><BR>Sarah, thank you too!<BR><BR>I actually live here in the US, in the interests of keeping a shred of a surprise (which I suppose won't work anyway) I shouldn't say where. <BR><BR>let's just say eastern seaboard, kinda. <BR><BR>I DO love mochi though, I have korean friends and they got me totally hooked on it. I actually took it with me on a trip once, to have something to gnaw on in flight before the food came around...<BR><BR>thanks y'all!<BR><BR>AWESOME!!<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 12:46 PM
:-)

I just wanna see what happens when you try to get a live lobster thru Scottish customs.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 01:02 PM
scottish

nospam ... put a kilt on it and call it Jock

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 01:16 PM
bounty

ok, duh. shoulda known.<BR><BR>Sarah, that "figgy pudding" post you made got me.<BR><BR>do I know you...<BR><BR>?

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Esmerelda

topping for art....

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 04:42 PM
guess

Your Korean friends: arum doppsam needa.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 04:48 PM
c

I keep up with these threads, and I remember someone being quite insulting one day for no reason at all, and I remember the person that was attacked saying that they were Bounty the quicker picker upper~so Hi, B... and although I can think of nothing to take to Scotland, I just wanted to say hello and wish you luck when you leave Scotland and go to the other city and do more searching for the you-know-what~C

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Lauren

Maple syrup<BR>Locally produced jams & jellies<BR>Doritos for my friends in Wilhelmshaven, Germany<BR>Hefty heavy duty freezer bags for my friend in Spandau, Germany<BR>Small coffee table book with photos of your area<BR>T-shirts with sports team names on them<BR>Anything with Chicago Bulls on it<BR>Any other American specialty food products (peanut butter, barbeque sauce, etc.) depending on the tastes of your friends.<BR><BR>I know I went off the food theme, but that's what I bring when I go.

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Sarah

Bounty Hi I did not leave make the figgy Pudding someone by the name of Patrice did but I enjoyed it.<BR><BR>I live on the eastern seaboard also. WHERE DO YOU FIND Mochi here? I have only seen it in Hawaii. There is a Japanese dessert shop on 5th Avenue and about 48th (NYC). But these are rice cakes flown in from Japan I am guessing, the packaging is extraordinary I can't find anywhere else. Where should I look?<BR><BR>I don't think we know each other I don't recognize your post name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -