Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nice/Cote D'azur/Monaco surroundings - suggestions please... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-cote-dazur-monaco-surroundings-suggestions-please-1021513/)

OzDan Jul 30th, 2014 04:02 AM

Nice/Cote D'azur/Monaco surroundings - suggestions please...

Hi i had posted yday but figured that the heading might of put ppl off responding.

I basically need tips for Cote D'azur, and what surrounding areas to stay (or base myself in to do day trips or places that are must sees. Please need suggestions as im coming close to my holiday time - End of August/First week Sept 2014.

Here is my original Post:

"Hi Guys, I saw another post on this site and thought there were some good tips offered so i thought i'd give it a crack.
Myself and the wife will be travelling from Novara (via Turin) to Toulon to meet a relative. We want to stop in and around the following (Nice, Cannes, Monaco) and perhaps surroundings if ppl can offer alternatives that are better. We were thinking of basing ourselves in Nice and then either day trips or night overs in some of the town.
We are still undecided on whether to drive or train, but sort of leaning towards getting a train from Turin to Nice then perhaps picking up a car in Nice.
Roughly have about 4-5 days to work with (and then an extra 2 or so days around Toulon).
If anyone can offer suggestions on how to schedule this trip would be great and any things worthy of seeing. We are the type that love historical buildings, a bit of art, great food, nice sunshine and great beaches, and also might dabble in a bit of shopping.
Cheers Oz Dan "

PalenQ Jul 30th, 2014 05:38 AM

For a sweet short stroll along a completely untouched part of the French Riviera where the signature cyrpess tress impossibly cling to boulders tumbling toward the azure-hued sea take this short about 2.2-mile flat walk on footpaths the whole way.

One of my very favorite things to do on the Cote d'Azur and the water is really a clear azur-hueed color. But note you may well pass folks skinny dipping in this rather isolated coast area and if you did not bring your swimming suit, you can still swim here!

http://french-riviera-blog.com/2011/...-coastal-path/

Take the train from Nice, Monaco or any seaside station to Cap d'Ail station - the path is just below it - turn left (east) and be gobsmacked with the untouched beauty that has disappeared along much of the Cote d'Azur with heavy development of modern hotels, etc.

Ah this is what the French Riveria as a whole used to look like, years ago before rampant development has scarred much of the natural beauty of this area.

StuDudley Jul 30th, 2014 06:03 AM

Do you have my 31 page Cote d'Azur/Provence itinerary???. My wife & I have spent 20 weeks on the Cote & 20 in Provence and the itinerary describes our favorite sites, scenic drives, cities, hill villages, markets, etc. I've sent the itinerary to over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley

OzDan Jul 30th, 2014 08:01 AM

thanks for the reponse PalenQ. Will be sure to take a look further.

Stu i have sent you an email to request the itinerary.

Would you guys use Nice as a base for the surroundings or is there another place equally as good?

PalenQ Jul 30th, 2014 08:36 AM

Nice is a huge city with multi-faceted sights but smaller gems like Antibes may be more romantic and just a short train ride from Nice - coastal trains trundle all up and down the coast - or if you have a car basing in dreamy hill towns like Cagnes, St Paul-du-Vence or Vence for starters would be fine too if you do not care to be near the sea.

Antibes is my favorite - a need old town center - an old fort now a Picasso museum, nice beach and a short train ride or drive or bus ride from any place of interest - even with car going to say Nice from another base you may want to take the train or bus for a few euros rather then fending with oft horrendous traffic in Nice itself and expensive parking fees.

StuDudley Jul 30th, 2014 09:06 AM

I would stay in Nice if you wanted to stay along the coast, and St Paul de Vence if you wanted something inland - but you'll need a car for St Paul. I would not stay in Haute Cagnes or Cagnes or Cagnes sur Mer - for many reasons.

Stu Dudley