Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

* Nice but inepensive ROME place to sleep! *

Feb 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I am so overwelmed by reading many posts of inexpensive hotels then checking them on internet to find they are over $200/night. Just requested info. from Resienza Canali, Hotel Panda and Arco del Lauro, now await their reply.

We will be in Italy for 2 weeks and traveling with our kids, ages 15 + 12 and will be in Rome mid August. We plan to spend up to Euro 140 (hopefully less) for three nights. We like interesting B&B's, Residences, family run hotels and shy away from the Hiltons and other big hotels. When traveling w/o kids we would sleep in castles, old mills, and such. Now we try for less expensive with some sort of interest. Great to be near some sites of Rome and not way out that metro is needed to come into Rome.

ANY suggestions would be truly appreciated! If you have handy the place's web site that would be great. MOLTO GRAZIE!
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM

ciaodeb,

Please be more specific. Do you mean you plan to spend 140E per room per night? Or, 140E total for three nights?

If 140E per might you should look at Hotel Giardino Rome. They should be in your price range or close. I was very happy there and it's a great location.
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Your budget of up to 140 Euro for a quad in central Rome is not very realistic, even in August when rates are sometimes lower.
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Also, have you tried www.venere.com? You can sort by location, stars, or price. They list hotels and B&Bs. It's a great place to start.
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM

There are some hotels mentinoed on Venere.com withon your budget for a quad, and several get decent reviews.

Hotel Julia is within your budget and there have been good comments about it here.

Quads are hard to come by, and August is a busy month. If yousee somehting that looks decent, that is cancellable, book it now, just to be safe. You can always keep looking.
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Cassandra

You might also get somewhere with romeby.com.

Feb 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Perhaps staying in a convent?
http://tinyurl.com/25hd3g
Feb 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Hi deb --

I'd recommend the Nicolas Inn. It's a nice little place walking distance from the Colosseum. The rooms are very simple, but the owner is very nice and serves a nice continental breakfast. Here is a link: http://www.nicolasinn.com/.

Good luck!
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Euro up to 140 per night for three nights. Hotel Nicolos was contacted and their reply is that they will NOT be open in August, too bad! Will check all else out now and thanks so much!!!
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM

It depends on what you mean by nice. And if you're wiling to try to survive in Rome in August without AC (I would rather shoot myself).

Frankly I think 140 euros for 4 people is not going to do it. As a matter of fact I would think 200 euros would be a great deal for a modest hotel for 4 in a decent location.
Feb 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I stayed in a triple room at the Hotel Panda for less than 150 Euros with A/C. When we checked out, I had to pay the A/C fee in cash, they wouldn't let me charge it. Took me a bit by surprise. I'm pretty sure that my triple room would have accomodated 4 people. I liked the room (it had a loft), even though it was small. There is no elevator so you'll have to carry the luggage up 2 (I think) flights of stairs.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Have you considered renting an apartment? Try www.sleepinitaly.com

Johanna
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM

www.the-beehive.com has both private rooms and apartments. The Beehive gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Try monasterystays.com You should find clean, basic accommodation with lots of price options. There are heaps of them in Rome and you can choose the location etc. Most include breakfast. Some are ugly looking 1960's 1970's construction, but then there are some that look charming.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I have stayed twice at the Red Rose Bed and Breakfast which is around the corner from the Coliseum. We liked it because it was a 10 minute walk from Termini train station and the metro stop was across the street. It was clean and the rooms were large. You were able to come and go as you please and it was very quiet.

I have looked everywhere for the web address and can not seem to find it but Trip Advisor says that the average price is 62E or 92US.
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM

hopefully you'll get a reply from Hotel Panda. I am staying there in a double room in early September for 108 euro a night so definitely in your budget. I couldn't find not a single other place in any area of Rome that I wanted to stay in for anywhere near that price. good luck!
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Check out some apartments. We stayed here:

http://www.angelishouse.it/holiday-rental-in-rome.htm

Big bed with AC upstairs. i think the couch is a futon.

Nice place just over the river. Lots of little restaurants in the neighborhood. Walking distance to everywhere
Feb 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I too was going to recommend The Beehive. I've never been there but it sounds very neat... definitely a place I'll check out whenever I finally get to Rome!
Feb 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM

hi
I havejust been looking through the various sites. Good value for family of 4 in the Patria hotel..www.hotels.com average price for mid august 82 euro er twin room also try the Hotel Pinewood on www.romehotelsservice.com This hotel is not as central average price 150 euro nightly
Good luck I am going to Rome in May
Feb 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi ALL! Guess what I found out today by talking to my Zio Andrea (Uncle Andrew)? My cousin in Italy, whom I have not seen in years, OWNS Hotel Nardizzi Americana on Via Firenze in ROME! She and her husband run the hotel and it is a nice 2-star. Here's the web site:

http://www.hotelnardizzi.it
(Foders is writing it 2x but I wrote site only once ?)

I sent my cousin an e-mail in Italian and through the English contact page on the site, sent another in same language, although instant reply was in English.

Search this hotel and only one post showed from 2000. So, have you had/heard of good experiences from this hotel? I hope to hear from her tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO