Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nice and environs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nice-and-environs-1087510/)

DRJ Feb 23rd, 2016 06:22 AM

Nice and environs

After 27 trips to Italy, I scored a fantastic trip to Nice via Delta's giveaway offering a couple of days ago. Now, however, I must admit that I know little about Nice or the immediate area. We will be in Nice from 10 May until the 19th. We have an apartment. Looking for advice from Fodorites.

Whathello Feb 23rd, 2016 06:52 AM

Hi

Nice will keep you busy for 2-3 days at minimum.

By train you can easily go to
. Monaco (I don't like it but it is interesting to see and I found their museum of oceanography interesting)
. Cannes
. Antibes (with some nice walks around le cap d'Antibes
. probably Menton
. ?

By car it is easy to go to Eze, and some small villages around, St Tropez...

Do you have kids ? They would love Marineland in Antibes.

traveller1959 Feb 23rd, 2016 07:34 AM

You will be in one of Europe's most beautiful regions which is full of sights, attractions and scenic drives. We have been there 25+ times and never get tired to go there again. In May, the swimming season starts, albeit the sea might still be a bit chilly. But expect sunshine and everything in bloom.

There is so much to see and to do that you need a guidebook. I strongly suggest the Michelin Green Guide.

What you can do:

Scenic drives
There are two sections of the coast which are incredibly scenic. One is the corniches (the Moyenne Corniche for one way and the Grande Corniche for the way back) between Nice and Monaco with the picturesque village Èze in the middle of the Moyenne and the impressive Roman monument La Turbie in the middle of the Grand. The second scenic drive is the Corniche de l'Esterel between Cannes and St. Raphael with many photo stops, scenic coves (swimming possible) and dramatic red mountains (hiking trails).

Picturesque hilltop villages
There are around two dozen pretty villages in the vicinity of Nice, one of them (however touristy) is Èze. Another must-see is Sain-Paul (also touristy), but there are many more, e.g. Gordon.

Modern Art
Many painters of the classic modern period chose to live on the Côte d'Azur because of the light, the climate and the savoir vivre. Therefore, you find outstanding art museums there. Some of the best are the Museum of the Biblical Message by Marc Chagall in Nice, the Fernand Leger Museum in Biot, The Fondation Maeght near Saint-Paul (various artists including Joan Miro and Alberto Giacometti), the Museum of Modern Art in Nice (various artists, e.g. Yves Klein) and the Pablo Picasso Museum in Antibes.

Towns and Cities
Monaco is worth a daytrip (you will drive the corniches anyway) with several attractions. Cannes has a nice beach lined with palm trees with a row of stately hotels - some of them have starred in classic movies. Antibes is nice, also Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.

There is so much more to do... it depends on your interests. If you say a bit more about your preferences we can give your further information. (Maybe you are interested in the seashell museum in Nice? Or in the Greek-style villa in Beaulieu-sur-Mer? Or in Rothschild's great pile of kitsch?)

suec1 Feb 23rd, 2016 07:47 AM

I think you will really enjoy Nice - there is a great transportation system by public buses that go thruout the region and are super cheap! The promenade at waters edge in Nice is great for people watching, walking or other forms of activity. Numerous day trips - our favorite was Villa Euprhisi. Lots of art! in Nice and nearby. Great food - french and also quite a bit of italian. One thing we have never had a chance to do is I think called the train Dinge? a small railway that goes up into the mountains.

DRJ Feb 23rd, 2016 07:50 AM

Thanks so much for the kind responses. We will not have a car. We are both architects. I am 82 and my wife is 73 and both enjoy open markets, good food and wine. Would be interested in a place like Eze. Just starting to plan, so all things go.

Whathello Feb 23rd, 2016 07:57 AM

Have fun !

I hope I'll be traveling like a wild rabbit like you when I'm 82 or even 73.

Enjoy.

traveller1959 Feb 23rd, 2016 12:28 PM

So, you don't have a car. There is a coastal train going west and east.

There is a regional train, TER no. 81212, going from Nice to Saint Raphael. Stops are in Antibes, Cannes (which are interesting places), but you may leave the train in Le Trayas and walk a bit to see the coast. It is dramatic there. The next stops are Antheor and Agay, which is a wide bay.

If you are architects, Fondation Maeght is a must-see for you.

http://www.fondation-maeght.com/en/

You will also like the village Saint-Paul, maybe better than Èze. There are many more villages in the hinterland, but without a car, you have to research bus lines.

aliced Feb 23rd, 2016 12:50 PM

Wouldn't miss Eze by hook or crook, probably available on tour, but don't settle for less than a clear day! Monte Carlo another must, Juan les Pins, St. Tropez. My regret was missing the Picasso in Antibes, simply ran out of time. Right on the east side of Nice is the pretty village of Villefranche Sur Mer with its Rue Obscure, look for it. Lots of movies have been filmed there. Tour the old majestic Negresco Hotel in Nice too along the water.

jacolis Feb 23rd, 2016 05:16 PM

We stayed in Nice without a car for a few days. You can take a bus right from downtown into St Paul de Vence (go early!) and Vence (to see the Chagall mosaic in the chapel).
http://www.bestofniceblog.com/transp...paul-de-vence/

My trip report from Nice can be found here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-with-kids.cfm

Bon voyage!

Tulips Feb 24th, 2016 01:05 AM

If you want to visit Cannes be aware that it's the film festival. No reason not to go, it's quite fun to watch the people and in the mornings is not that busy. But Cannes looks different during the festival, with large billboards everywhere.

Other place on the coast doesn't really get affected by the festival, so don't worry about it.

Monaco; love or hate it. Interesting for a day
Antibes; easy to get to by train, and a good daytrip from Nice.
St Paul de Vence and fondation Maeght as mentioned. If you want to visit the chapel in Vence, check opening times!
I'd give Juan les Pins a miss.

Whathello Feb 24th, 2016 02:10 AM

Juan les pins is not a must, for sure.

SeeDee Feb 24th, 2016 04:38 AM

As architects, a real must is Villa E 1027 in Roquebrune Cap Martin, designed by Eileen Gray and now reopened to the public. Check out the capmoderne.com website for details about how and when you can visit.

rialtogrl Feb 24th, 2016 05:29 AM

If you love food make sure to try some of the handmade ravioli (you can buy in one of the shops and cook at home.) It is some of the best ravioli I have ever had.

My favorites came from Le Barale, 7 rue Sainte-Reparate

They are closed Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday (I think...)