Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   NH Forum Hotel Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nh-forum-hotel-barcelona-319794/)

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 02:54 PM

NH Forum Hotel Barcelona

Does anyone know the NH Forum Hotel in Barcelona. I can get an excellent weekend rate but I can't find any reviews. Ususally, I am pleased with the NH chain.

Thanks
Pat

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 03:01 PM

Should have mentioned..I could get the NH Les Corts or the NH La Maquinista if either of these are better than the NH Forum.

Many thanks
Pat

frogoutofwater Mar 9th, 2008 03:03 PM

Have you checked tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews?

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 03:21 PM

Yes I did check Trip Advisor and not one review ...which I thought was strange with the hotel being part of a chain.

Pat

kenderina Mar 9th, 2008 03:23 PM

I've never been on any of the three, but NH La Maquinista is way out of the city centre, in case you don't know. La Maquinista is a big shopping mall with cinemas so I suppose there should be good transport.

kenderina Mar 9th, 2008 03:28 PM

By the way, I checked on spanish reviews and it has good ones, 7.8 points out of 10.

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 03:31 PM

Thanks Kenderina

I will have to see if there is transportation from La Maquinista. When you say "way out" ...how far are we talking. I have never been to Barcelona.

Thanks
Pat

kenderina Mar 9th, 2008 04:31 PM

Hey, I'm Patty too !!

Well, the nearest place you probably want to visit, Sagrada Familia, is about 3 kilometres. It is about 7 kilometres to Plaza Cataluña which is regarded as the centre of Barcelona.
It is really on the outskirts of the city. The other two you mentioned are central.

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 04:39 PM

Thanks again for your help Patty!

Maribel Mar 9th, 2008 05:14 PM

Pat,
The NH Forum is in a slightly (give or take a few blocks) better location than Les Cortes. But it's very much of a stretch to say that it's in the very desirable Left Eixample, because it's far, far west, about 22 blocks from Barcelona's epicenter, the Placa de Catalunya. And the Eixample blocks are quite wide.

The lack of reviews on Trip Advisor could be because of the location.

The NH Máster (with decent wkd. rates) lies in a more central location than the 3 you've mentioned, actually in the far Left Eixample only 7 blocks from the posh Passeig de Gracia.

The best located NH property in Barcelona is the NH Calderón on the Rambla de Catalunya, near the Placa de Catalunya, but rates will be necessarily higher due to the prime location.

I certainly wouldn't ever book La Maquinista, as you'll spend most of your stay on public transportation.

We stay in NH properties in Spanish cities too (soon at the NH Palacio de la Merced in Burgos), but we need to be very careful about their location, since some of quite far from downtown.

The NH chain (and its rival the AC) puts many of their hotels in business locations-not always handy for tourists.

For example, in Madrid the NH Nacional and the new Paseo del Prado are well located for touring, right on Museum Mile, but the NH Eurobuilding, NH Abascal and others are not-they're just handy for those traveling for business.

Just some things for you to consider.

mystic1947 Mar 9th, 2008 05:42 PM

Thanks so much for the info Maribel. I also want to mention that I have downloaded a number of your guides and they are most helpful. Appreciate your help

Pat

shellio Mar 9th, 2008 08:40 PM

I stayed in the NH Calderon about 5 years ago and was quite happy with it. Excellent location, as Maribel notes.

mystic1947 Mar 10th, 2008 04:12 AM

Thanks for all the help but I booked the Forum anyway. I don't mind taking public transportation and the difference in price was huge. NH Calderon is 190 euros per night, Masters is 140 per night.

My booking at the Forum is 185 euros for TWO nights including breakfast - thought that was a great rate and I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks everyone..appreciate the help
Pat