Reload this Page >

News from Pompei

Search

News from Pompei

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Vincenzo

News from Pompei

Yesterday I went to visit Pompei.<BR>The following are news maybe interesting for who is planning to visit Pompei. <BR>Since yesterday, at Pompei it is open for tourists the Suburban Therma, for adults only. <BR>Eight erotic pictures, in beautiful show on the walls of the changing rooms are quite interesting.<BR>Also visiting the Polibio House and the the Menandro House is possible.<BR>Polibio was a liberto that to Pompei had interests in the bakeries and in the taverns.<BR>The House of Menandro is luxury, extensive, with exquisite taste paintings and precious mosaics. <BR>Tomorrow, the House Of The Vettii, closes for the restoration jobs. <BR>The best way to reach Pompei is Circumvesuviana from Naples or from Sorrento.<BR>Cordiali saluti.<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Sherry

Thanks Vincenzo. With these new things to see in Pompei, how much time would you devote to the area if you were a first time visitor?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Walter

Thank-You Vincenzo, very interesting. March will be 3rd independent tour (I don't count my 1st bustour to Pompeii, I just love that city. I assume that except for the children these areas are just open to anyone, there are no seperate tickets or timed entrances? Regards, Walter

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Vincenzo

Dear Sherry, never less than a whole day. <BR>Dear Walter, my very bad English has caused a misunderstanding: "for adults only" would have liked to mean the adults of Pompei two thousands of years ago. Yesterday I was among a class room of Italian pupils and pretty Japanese girls and boys.<BR>However you pay attention because until Easter, to visit this new branches is possible only on Saturday and on Sunday. You need another ticket but it doesn't mean extracharge; it's only a counter because the visits are to closed number: group after group, every group twentyfive persons.<BR>Have a nice trip.<BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Walter

Thank-You Again Vincenzo! Exactly what I was looking for, I had planned to go to Pompeii on a Thursday (March7) but will now go on Saturday. <BR> LOL Wow, I had thought that the 8 erotic pictures were really wild if they weren't allowing children to see them). Regards, Walter

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Kay

Vincenzo, Thanks so much for the information. I am heading back to Pompei in May. My guide for the last trip didn't take us to the House of Vetti or Mysteries and we didn't realize we had missed so much until I began to read the book I purchased. I am assuming the House of Vetti is going to be closed for a while, so I guess I will miss it again, but at least I have the Suburban Therma to see! We really appreciate your help! Thanks again. Kay

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Meg

Kay,<BR><BR>My husband and I are going to Rome in February. We have been trying to find a good tour to Pompei. Do you mind sharing which tour company you used? Do you recommend them? Do you think the problem was just with your tour guide?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Meg

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Maurice

This brings up a question on my mind:<BR>We were in Pompeii last Sept. and quite a few of the houses were closed. (The front gates were locked) Does Pompeii have some arbitrary or specific schedule for opening different buildings?<BR>