News about the Morgan Hotel in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I returned , this past Saturday, from what has become an annual October trip to London.
As usual, I stayed at the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury. I have previously posted my affection for this friendly little hotel so I won't go into detail about that now.
What I do want to mention is that the Morgan's renovations are still in progress. Nine of the rooms in the main building at #24 Bloomsbury have been redecorated. Everything is new.
The 4 flats and 3 rooms in the building at #40 Bloomsbury have not yet been refurbished, but John, Joy, & David are hard at work and they hope to have both buildings completed in the next year.
(I have a few snapshots of the flat I stay in, if anyone is interested in seeing pics of what the flat looks like (pre-renovation) I will be happy to e-mail them if you provide me an address.)
The little reception area that is next to the breakfast room in the main building was in the process of being enlarged while I was there.
Now, here's the news... . The Morgan is finally going to have a web site. The reason for enlarging the tiny reception area is to make room for a computer, John told me the new web site should be up and running by this Christmas.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:54 AM

We're seriously considering staying at the Morgan this June. A couple of questions:
1) Are the rooms air conditioned? Is that important in early June?
2) About how far is the hotel from the nightlife in the Picadilly Circus area?

I'd love to get your photos. Thanks for the good information.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the update on the Morgan Hotel.
Do you have any information about the current rates?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi adet,
The rooms in the main hotel at #24 are air conditioned.
At present, the flats are not air conditioned, but Flats #2 and #3 have windows ( that open ) at both the front and the rear which makes for nice cross ventilation. I've been told that when the flats are remodeled a room sized air conditioner will be added to the bedroom.
In addition to windows, Flat #1 on the ground floor has direct access to the rear terrace, that's a nice place to sit outside and have a drink in good weather.
I'm not sure of the window configuration of Flat #4.
As you know, weather is unpredictable and we each have our own internal thermostats, so it's difficult to say if you would find air-conditioning a requirement in early June.
As far as nightlife is concerned, you can easily take the tube from Tottenham Court Road or from Holborn to Piccadilly Circus or you can walk..it's not far. There is even more nightlife in nearby Soho and Covent Garden.
Leave another message with an e-mail address and I will send you my photos.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

k_marie.
I believe the current rate for a double room is £90.
But since I stay in a flat, I don't really pay close attention to the rates for the rooms.
I can tell you that the current published rate for 2 people in a flat is £125.
The room rates and the flat rates include VAT and a full,cooked to order breakfast.
Breakfast consists of juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes, tea/coffee. One can pick and choose amongst the offerings. Hot porridge is available on request and there are fresh bananas, apples, and oranges available.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:10 AM

starspinners,
I would love to see your photos. My e-mail address is >[email protected]< Question. If the hotel rooms have been recently refurbished, would that be a better option than the unfurbished flats? (for a couple).
Thanks in advance.
JoeG
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:22 AM

starspinners
Thanks for your reply.
I have enjoyed my stays at the Morgan Hotel over the years--three, since 1993. It has been several years since my last visit...and I was curious about their current rate structure, wondering if the remodeling would result in a dramatic increase.
From what you report, so far, so good.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Yes, please send the pictures to [email protected].

One more question. We plan to arrive in London sometime in the morning via Heathrow. What do you recommend as a fairly simple and inexpensive way to get to the Morgan?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:01 AM

This hotel sounds very interesting. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) who will be in London for 4 nights this February. I love the Bloomsbury area. How do I contact this hotel? And I would love to see pictures. E-mail is [email protected]. Thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:49 AM

We are staying at the Morgan 6/1-6/5/04 and I would love to see your pictures. email [email protected]. Thanks for the offer. We have two rooms in the annex, 1 double and 1 single and the rate was 166 pounds combined. They did not seem to have many rooms available, so if you would like to make a reservation, I would make it as soon as possible.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi, again adet,
If you don't have too much luggage to deal with, you might want to take the Tube directly from Heathrow to the Holborn Tube station and then walk a short way to the Morgan. At present fares that would cost £3.70 for each adult. I believe that would take about 45 minutes. That would be the least expensive option.
You can also take the Airbus from Heathrow to Russell Square and then walk to the Morgan. Travel time would depend on traffic. I've never taken the Airbus, but I am sure someone on this board can tell you what the fare would be.
My preference would be the Heathrow Express ( takes only 15 minutes but costs more than the Tube) to Paddington Station and then a taxi to the hotel.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I will e-mail the Morgan Hotel pics to those who have already posted an address.
If anyone else is interested , try the following link hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=starspinners&pass word=46449984
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:53 PM

We will be staying at the Morgan Hotel June 11 & 12, and appreciated all the information. Has anyone stayed in a triple at this hotel? I am waiting for my confirmation; all I know is that it is on the ground floor--I'm not sure which building. Would welcome comments from anyone who is familiar with the triple accommodations. Thank you!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I have become so accustomed to making reservations via e-mail. How have previous posters made reservations or at least inquired about rates and availability?
JoeG
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Judy - forgot to thank you for emailing the photos. the rooms look very clean and comfy.
JoeG
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:27 PM

JoeG

The old fashioned way, I called them. I will look the number up for you if you can't find it on a search. I know I have it somewhere in all of my travel plan records. That is why news of their planned web site is such good news. Email reservations are wonderful.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

The Morgan's phone number ( from outside the UK): 011 44 207 636 3735
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:05 PM

We stayed in both triples in the lower ground floor in the annex in 1999. The back one is quieter and has a patio, but the front one is larger-had a kitchen closet with a fridge & kettle, a powder room with a toilet and sink, another closet or two, access to the area, and a bathroom with two sinks, a separate shower, a tub and a makeup mirror. The bathroom is under the street! The bus stopped right outside so it's a bit noisy, but I loved that room!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Topping for today's inquiry about the Morgan.
Their web site has not yet been launched, so just phone or fax them for availability.
The URL I posted to view a few snapshots of one of the hotel's flats is still 'alive'.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Hi Starspinners! I have been unsucessful at being able to view your pictures. I accepts starspinners but not the password. Is 4644984 correct? Thanks in advance. Would love to see your pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -