Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Newgrange? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/newgrange-849206/)

lstamu Jul 12th, 2010 10:51 AM

Newgrange?

If we will only be in Dublin for two days should we try to make it to Newgrange?

jefe Jul 12th, 2010 06:16 PM

I replied in your other thread, but if I only had 2 days in Dublin - and it was my first time there - I'm not sure I'd take a day to go to Newgrange. But that depends on your interests.

nytraveler Jul 12th, 2010 06:30 PM

If you are truly interested in ancient sights it makes sense to do it - since I don't know when else you will get the chance. But, you need to be aware that if you have any problem with dark or small places (very small places - in some parts of the tunnel 2 people really can;t pass) you should rethink it.

We found it fascinating - but a woman on the tour became very overwrought and several people had to back out so she had the room to get out of the tunnel.

LindaL Jul 12th, 2010 07:35 PM

I agree with Jefe. If you only have 2 days in Dublin, save Newgrange for your next visit.

GreenDragon Jul 13th, 2010 06:15 AM

Newgrange (and the surrounding areas, like Hill of Tara, Knowth, Dowth) are worth a full day's attention. With only the two days in Dublin, I'd give it a skip this time - you'll be back to Ireland, it's addicting!

bratsandbeer Jul 13th, 2010 06:37 AM

Newgrange is awesome. If I remember correctly it isn't that far from Dublin. Dublin was okay - we liked the Book of Kells at Trinity College, the Temple Bar area, Guinness tour.
If you just wanted to see Newgrange I think you could fit it in.

GreenDragon Jul 13th, 2010 02:34 PM

Newgrange isn't far, that's true - but with the visitor centre and tour set up they have, you could travel there and discover the early tour is full - and have to wait several hours for the next one. If you book ahead of time, it could work.

jaja Jul 13th, 2010 07:29 PM

You cannot book Brú na Bóinne tours in advance; tickets are sold on a first come, first serve basis.

You don't say when you will be there, but you can check opening and tour times here: http://newgrange.com/visitor.htm .

I have visited three times and would go back in a minute.

lstamu Jul 18th, 2010 07:17 PM

I think we've decided definitely to do Newgrange...Thank jefe for your input...I think we'll be able to do the first couple of suggestions in Dublin without a problem...We'll just have to make another trip to see the rest. Any thoughts on Over the Tops tours(or other tours) going from Dublin to Newgrange? Someone posted that they liked them. It looks like they leave early so I think that's good.

GreenDragon Jul 21st, 2010 12:06 PM

If you are going up that way, see if you can find a tour that also includes the Hill of Tara, Knowth and Dowth. Knowth and Dowth are more (smaller) passage tombs like Newgrange, and Tara is where kings were crowned for thousands of years. An impressive spot :) It looks like you can see all of Ireland spread out before you in a patchwork quilt of history.

china_cat Jul 21st, 2010 12:29 PM

We went on the Over The Top "Celtic experience" tour several years ago. We did not go to Newgrange, because I suffer from claustrophobia, and was afraid I'd wait all day for the tour and then be unable to enter the tomb. Also, I thought we'd get better use out of limited time by going elsewhere. My mom, who is an anthropologist, was disappointed to miss it however. I kind of wish we had gone.

I thought Over The Top was pretty good, and worth the money. The tour guides were well informed. One thing I found slightly annoying...they sell these as "small" tours, just 14 people on the van. Then we found we did the entire thing with one or 2 other vans, so everyplace we went, we were essentially with about 30 people. But other than that we really did enjoy the tour. We saw a very small tomb (called 4 Knocks), Hill of Tara, Mellifont Abbey and Monasterboice. All very interesting.