Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Newcastle to South Kensington Tube Station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/newcastle-to-south-kensington-tube-station-544992/)

xxxx Jul 18th, 2005 08:42 AM

Newcastle to South Kensington Tube Station

If I've done my research correctly...

Our train from Newcastle will arrive in London at Kings Cross Station.

Will the tube be a reasonable choice (Victoria Line switching either to Picadilly or District) to end at the South Kensington tube station? We will be traveling on a Friday, mid-afternoon, each with a 22" suitcase.

If we opted for a cab, what could we expect to pay?

Thank you.

nibblette Jul 18th, 2005 08:50 AM

No worries taking the tube. The Picadilly Line goes thru Kings Cross so no need to change (unless the service is interrupted).

flanneruk Jul 18th, 2005 09:19 AM

As xxxx has probably noticed, the Piccadilly Line isn't running for most of its Central London stretch at present.

If, when xxxx is doing the journey, the tfl site confirms it's back in service, that's the way to go. Until then, Victoria Line to Victoria, then change to the District is the only tube option. But we don't even know what the structural damage to the line is yet, as they haven't finished the forensics or moved the train. So don't expect P. line tubes east of Hyde Park Corner for some considerable time.

I don't run to cabs these days, though I would if I had luggage and had to take xxxx's journey on a Friday afternoon. I'd guess around £15.

janis Jul 18th, 2005 09:53 AM

"unless the service is interupted"

Huh? the bombings have definitely interruppted service.

WHEN is your trip? If in the next few months then follow flanneruk's advice/route. There is no telling at this point when the Piccadilly line is open again. So Vic line to Victoria then District to S. Kens.

But my choice would probably be to take the tube to Victoria and then catch a cab the relatively short distance to South Kensington. That would eliminate the line change and get me dropped right at the hotel.

flanneruk Jul 18th, 2005 10:05 AM

Not wanting to fall out with Janis, but:

On the reasonable assumption the Piccadilly Line is still out of action east of HP Corner, the tube to Victoria suggestion requires you to hump your case down steps at Kings Cross and up again at Victoria. Incredibly, both these stations have stretches of no-escalator access to the tube, and both sets of steps are exceptionally busy.

And Sod's Law decrees that whichever way you're struggling with your case, most other passengers are struggling against you in the opposite direction with even more lethally-wielded luggage.

Go for the cab all the way.

janis Jul 18th, 2005 10:10 AM

I actually agree w/ you about just taking a cab from Kings X. But the OP did say they only have small bags so it wouldn't be too terrible on the tube.

I mentioned the tube/cab from Vic station combo if they wanted to save a bit of money

xxxx Jul 18th, 2005 10:19 AM

We won't be in London until early November. I'm asking today as I had a bit of free time and was looking at some details of the trip.

Sounds as if the cost of a cab might be well worth it!!

PatrickLondon Jul 19th, 2005 02:52 AM

Another option might be to change at Green Park (which is likely to be a bit less hectic than Victoria), either to the Piccadilly Line to South Kensington (trains are running out of Hyde Park Corner), or to a taxi, or to a number 14 bus if they're not looking too crowded.

VickiH Jul 19th, 2005 03:02 AM

Patrick, the piccadilly line isn't going as far as Green Park - it's one stop east of Hyde Park Corner.

I'd say definitely take the tube if it wasn't for the fact that Victoria is so spectacularly un-luggage friendly for a major station. As it is, it really depends on how much suitcase-lugging you're prepared to do. It also depends on what you mean by mid-afternoon... if you get towards the 4pm mark you're getting into rush hour (which seems to start earlier on a Friday) and you won't want to be negotiating Victoria with luggage at that time of day - busiest station on the network apparently.