Newbie Needs Help With 8-9 Day Itinerary

Jan 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Newbie Needs Help With 8-9 Day Itinerary

Hi all. I'm new to the Greece forum, as I have never been to Greece before.

My wife and I are looking at Greece for our next vacation sometime this summer (Jun-July). We would probably have 8 nights for the trip (arrive on Saturday and leave the following Sunday). We are coming from the U.S.

My wife has been to Athens before. I have never been, but I am more interested in the islands than Athens, although my wife is pleading with me to at least allow some time in Athens. I am looking to relax and not battle the heat/crowds of Athens.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE IS THAT I GET VERY SEASICK AND CANNOT DO BOATS/FERRIES. ISLANDS WILL NEED TO BE ACCESSIBLE BY AIR.

Question 1: what would a reasonable 8-night itinerary look like if we decided to just do the Greek isles? For example, could we split up our time between Santorini and either Crete or Rhodes?

We're pretty sure we want to visit Santorini (we're interested in laid-back vacation; beautiful scenery, etc.). Can't decide between Rhodes and Crete. Any insight there?

Question 2: What would a reasonable 8-night itinerary look like if we decided that we did want to spend some time in Athens? I presume that in this case we could only do one of the islands?

Anyway, I know this post is very broad but I would appreciate any insight people might have.
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM

There isn't really a Greece forum (except for search purposes) so your question appears under the Europe forum. You might want to repost with Greece in the title to attract more responses.
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM

kybourbon-

jaydreb5's posting DOES show up specifically on the Greece forum.
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM

There is only a Europe forum. If you select Greece in the pull down menu at the top of the page, in essence you are doing a search with the keyword "greece".

So when you arrive at the Fodor's website and select "Talk" you only ever see Europe and all questions posted here get posted in Europe, not 'Greece' . This has positive and negative points. One negative is that people can tend to post with non-relavant titles (no country/city name) assuming it is going to a certain country board. It is not, and these threads can tend to get lost by those who scan for threads to answer
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Okay, now back to jaydreb5's question.

Flying to and from the islands is no problem. Flying from one island to another is less easy, as the major airlines (Aegean and Olympic) have no inter-island services.

There is a company called Sky Express, based in Crete, that flies between Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, and a few other destinations. Sky Express has only one airplane, a small 18 pax turboprop, so if you suffer from motion sickness it may not for you.

Since you have only eight days, I strongly recommend you confine your trip to Athens and one island. Suggest you choose an island served by Aegean Airlines, as the future of Olympic Airlines is in the balance, and no one knows for sure what routes it (or its successor) will be operating next summer.

There are many islands from which to choose. Crete, Santorini, and Rhodes come to mind. I have no experience of the Ionian islands, but Corfu, Kefalonia, and Zakinthos are popular.

Coming from the US, you will most likely have to go through Athens anyway, so you may as well spend your last few days there. Time your trip for June, and the weather will be cooler than in July.
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM

And you can go to the second biggest island by car: Evia.
G.
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM

brotherleelove2004 - There is no Greece "forum", only Europe. Without Greece mentioned in the title, posters on the Europe forum will not have a clue which country the thread is asking about. Many people don't bother to click on vague post titles and it won't attract people that are familiar with Greece. Most people click on forums, not countries, when they log on unless they are specifically searching for something.
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I will repost with "Greece" in the title.
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM

When I go on the Europe Forum, then click the search button for Greece, this thread jumps up near the top. Before this post it was #4. Am I missing something?
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Heimdall,
try posting a new topic (even without Greece in the title).
G.
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM

When I go on the Europe Forum, then click the search button for Greece, this thread jumps up near the top. Before this post it was #4. Am I missing something?

Heimdall, if you do the search as you stated, thread will appear near the top (at least while the last post is fairly recent). In this sense, the post is identified with Greece. However, many of us don't do a search by country unless we are looking for something or only want to see posts for a specific country. That doesn't mean we wouldn't have something to offer concerning the OP's questions. And, if Greece is in the title as suggested, one is more likely to open it if they are knowledgeable about Greece.
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Also - only about 60-ish% remember to click on a country before posting a new thread - and one can't go back during the edit function to fix it. So clicking on "Greece" (or any other country) only brings up some of the threads about the country. One really needs to scan the entire Europe forum.