Reload this Page >

Newark to Rome airfare advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Bob

Looking to travel to Rome end of May. Continental/Alitalia have direct flights from Newark which is exactly what I want. <BR> <BR>Current prices are around $804 per Traveloicty/Expedia. I obviously want something cheaper than that. When and how could I get something much lower than that? Again, I really prefer this direct flight from Newark-Rome. <BR> <BR>I've seen several postings of fairs from JFK (which I can't do) for under $500 for June. I'd love to get something that low. <BR> <BR>I welcome advice. Thx. Bob

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:17 PM
xxx

you "obviously" want something cheaper than that? <BR> <BR>yet you won't do the "obvious" thing and travel to JFK to save over $300? <BR> <BR>are the dates wrong or something? <BR> <BR>you need to clarify what is not at all "obvious" in your thinking!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:17 PM
nancy

Bob, <BR>Last summer I was in contact with Continental because we had unused paper tickets we had to use by a certain date. <BR>We too are going Newark to Rome, as it is the closest *direct* that Continental has to where we live. <BR>And it is still a 4 hr drive for us! <BR>Anyway, a customer service agent said that RT fares in May usually run around $500. <BR>why don't you call and see what their fares are for that timeframe. <BR>You may have to wait a bit to book, I don't know. <BR>Hope this helps you alittle.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:48 PM
Maira

Check the QIXO function at the following site http://europe2001.cjb.net. They have what is call the QIXO Alert, where you enter when do you want to travel and how much are you willing to pay. This site checks dozens of consolidators daily and e-mails you (alert) when one of them offers the fare you are looking for.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:59 PM
adrienne

Bob, <BR> <BR>From your message it seems that you can't do the JFK thing (rather than the June timeframe). Is this because of the hassle and expense of getting to JFK? If so, a friend of mine took the Airporter minivan from JFK to Newark (1 hour). They left frequently and the price was very cheap (compared to the extra expense of a limo to JFK). She thought the service was great and I picked her up at Newark airport. I believe their web site is airporter.com. <BR> <BR>Also, you mentioned a "direct" flight. You do know that direct doesn't mean non stop. It means that you do stop enroute but don't change planes. Confusion on this wording could lead to an unforseen layover. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 07:19 PM
kitkat

Last year, we were looking for tickets. Every year is different, but we found the best "early" time to book was in January. Then, there was another good sale in late Spring.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Bob

Thank you for all of your comments. I sincerely appreciate them. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Patrick

"Direct" flights can no longer even be interpreted as stopping but staying on the same plane. An airline may give a destination a direct flight number even though you not only change planes, but may have a long layover. American tried to do that to me a couple years ago when they said they now had a direct flight from Milan to Miami. I found out that you flew to Chicago where you deplaned, cleared customs, and nearly four hours after arrival got on another plane to fly to Miami. No thank you.

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Leigh

Priceline! <BR> <BR>Had seen a $398 fare on Yahoo... but couldn't get the dates I wanted. I went to Priceline and asked for a $400 flight. I have to fly US Air (hmmm...) but there's only one switch in Philly and it's short. Priceline actually lets you specify the number of legs you'll tolerate, which is an obvious plus. One drawback: if they match you're fare you're committed, so be ready to commit! <BR> <BR>Good luck!