Search

New Zealander going to London soon...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealander going to London soon...

Hi,

I am new zealander (35 years old) and I don't really travel that much, I went travel to overseas only to Australia couple times.

On Sept (spring/summer? uk?) I'll be heading off to London for 5 weeks only. I bought return ticket already from Sydney London and back from London to Sydney AUs.

My planned, I will be staying at backpackers in london while sightseeing London (All area of UK too).
So it will be 4 weeks in UK and then I have 1 week left to cross the border to Disneyland France for 1 day,paris (2 days in France),amsterdam for 3 days and then back to London city...before flying back to Sydney australia.

Heres the things that concern me: I've got only money in my bank statement $10.000 plus I've got 2 credit card, one is normal credit card and other one is my platinum visa card.So with this much money...will Border UK let me visiting uk for 5 weeks?

I heard Border Custom UK very tight and some people got returned to their countries.

So heres what I will be bring to UK:
1.Return ticket to Sydney Australia
2. Bank statement $10.000
3. 2 credit cards and one is platinum credit card
4. Letter that I'll be back to work in Sydney? (currently I am working in sydney)
5. Usually I look scruffy ( not that posh) << this is worry me if I'll be searched by Custom Officer.

All above enough to enter UK? any advise and opinion?
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I wouldn't expect a problem - but some of those immigration types are a bit touchy (and/or odd!).

On one occasion, transiting London on the way to Ireland, from Greece, they asked me how long I planned to stay in England. 2 hours. - "You realise you can't work here, don't you?" And this to a very conservative, reasonably respectable, 40 y.o.!

You have all you need to support yourself. Just answer the questions., Don't look too much like a slob (are as little as possible after the 22+ hours flight!) Don't make jokes.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Oh and you are coming at the tail end of summer/start of autumn.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
tod

Well that would certainly would not get me into UK and France unless I also had travel insurance in case of hospitalization or any other medical problem.

Clean yourself up PLEASE - don't worry about being searched, worry about your fellow passengers that have to sit next to you!

Tip No;2 - Be very careful where you carry your money, and/or, passport (Please photocopy it several times and leave one in your luggage). I would say leave them locked up in the hotel safe but you say you want to stay in backpacker's accommodation. Mmmmmmmmmmm.............
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM

I agree to be careful, but staying in backpackers' accommodation does not mean you'll get your stuff stolen - most people do just fine. Particularly when you are traveling with luggage on public transit, there's a lot to be said for using a moneybelt. If you are in a hostel dorm, you probably want to put your money, cards, and passport in your pillow while you sleep (or otherwise attach it to yourself). Have more than one credit card, stored in different places, don't carry too much cash at once, and figure out a secure way to manage your passport.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM

"Well that would certainly would not get me into UK and France unless I also had travel insurance in case of hospitalization or any other medical problem."

Why? NZ has a reciprocal arrangement, and no sick person in their right mind would want a 12,000 mile repatriation flight.

Ignore TOTALLY advice about dress or demeanour. UK Immigration are used to people coming off long flights and are far, far, far too well trained to give a monkey's about how long your hair is or whether you've spilt soup over your shirt.

They simply want to be sure you'll leave, won't work here illegally and won't be a charge on the public purse (except, in your case, if you're sick - which NZers are allowed to be)
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
tod

flanneruk - You ask WHY? WHY? Because dear heart the French authorities who issue our Schengen Visas will not process them unless all their criteria are met. Having health insurance is one of them at around 30,000 euros minimum.
The cost is not exhorbitant to take out this insurance in any case.
REASON? Hell, I don't know. I guess they just don't want the whole of Africa dropping in for a bit of medical attention at the cost of the French government!
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 08:58 AM

begoo - welcome to Earls Court!
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Well, as New zealander ( as I read New Zealand,Australia,US) I can entering UK without visa for less then 6 month.
I do have traveller insurance(health insurance when I am travelling to overseas) from my platinum credit card.
Is it enough?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
tod

begoo, up until a year ago we too could travel to the UK without visas but all that was stopped because the system was abused by other African states travelling via South Africa. Now they have ruined it for all of us. The only country that I know of where we can go without a visa is Argentina.
As a New Zealander you have it really good!

And yes, health insurance on your credit card is sufficient, but as Flanneruk advised us, New Zealand has a reciprocal arrangement with health issues so you are just fine.

Have a really great time!