Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New York is Resilient.... It will survive!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Frank

Back at my desk this morning in Midtown Manhattan after yesterday's horrific events. It will take time for things to begin to resemble the world as it was prior to yesterday morning. <BR> <BR>Although the streets are quite, the sun is shinning brilliantly harkening a symbolic new beginning. <BR> <BR>You can't begin to realize the spirit of New Yorkers and you will be amazed how quickly a semblance of order will be restored. <BR> <BR>Pray for New York and the United States. <BR> <BR>We will survive and prosper. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:15 AM
s.fowler

You bet your sweet apple it will survive -- NYC is a unique amalgam of cultures and temperaments -- but one thing marks ALL of us from there [I was born in NYC] -- we get right back up and keep going.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Ess

Amen. Furthermore, it is our obligation to those who died, were hurt and are still missing to carry on and not give in to despair.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:23 AM
elvira

I remember a quote from a society matron or duchess or somesuch that went something like "when you are in the midst of a crisis, get dressed every day, eat breakfast, and answer your mail". Chaos cannot survive in the face of determined order.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Karen

Yes, Frank, you bet NYC will survive!!!We are a strong country. We will ban together. And we will survive. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your positive post in what may our nation's darkest hour.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Gloria

Frank, you are so right. New York is a amazing city that typifies our great American heritage and spirit. I shall be thinking of you today and praying for the healing to begin. <BR>God's blessings to you and your fellow New Yorkers.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Mr. Go

One thing is undeniable about New Yorkers. Love 'em or hate 'em...they got attitude. Lots of it. <BR> <BR>It is exactly that attitude that will prevail. Nothing will bring back the thousands of innocent lives that have perished, and nothing will diminish the grief of their family and friends. But...you can bet your bottom dollar that the New World Trade Center will be marvelous.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:16 AM
elaine

As a city and as a country of course we will survive, but so many individuals have died, and many of those left behind are wounded both physically and emotionally. <BR>Interesting how the same setting can affect people in different ways. Frank sees the shining sun and a symbolic new beginning. I see a city with almost empty streets and offices with skeleton staffs; it feels a bit as it does when we have a major snowstorm, except there's no snow, and everyone I see looks stunned or sad. <BR>I'm all for good old American spirit, <BR>but I feel we need to stop overconfidence and a false sense of invulnerability. They got us. Not forever, maybe not even for long, but <BR>I think we need a new plan, and a new attitude. <BR>A year from now, how many of us will be grumbling about handsearches of our carry-on luggage, or having to get to the airports 3 hours before our flights? <BR>I guess we also need long memories. And a realization that there is more than one way to invade a country. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Austin

<BR>One of the most difficult things to swallow is that--in addition to the unspeakable carnage--the terrorists managed to change the skyline of New York City in one hour! <BR>The most beautiful and powerful skyline in the world is not the same today as it has been for the past 31 years <BR> <BR>AH <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:20 PM
Penelope

I Love New Yorkers, And America!