Reload this Page >

New Year's in London with child

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Marcy

We are considering spending New Year's in London with our son, who will be one. Any advice on hotels, sights, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Old May 7th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Roberta

Hi marcy...we were there last new year's with daughter, 1.5 years old. Just a few tips: <BR>The English pubs that serve lunch (typical English food) are very relaxed, have couches/booths, noisy places...fine for little ones. <BR>Bring a back pack to carry your son in. Using subway is fantastic...easy maps, very cheap, clean and safe. Taxis are large cars (lots of head room and foot room, easy to climb in and out with baby & gear. We had weather from rain & coats to sunny/sweater days only. <BR>Don't mis the British museum...Egyptian stuff galore plus tons more...baby in back pack while touring! There is a place (name escapes me just now but EVERYONE knows it), where there are amusements, rides (merry go round outside), inside several floors...although he is still so small, might be a good diversion just to play a game and win a stuffed toy, eat some cotton candy or have a ride on something... <BR>we found New year's Day LOTS of places closed. <BR>The other thing I found helpful was to have an aprtment (with kitchen) and rooms for baby to roam around in. Refrigerator, microwave, crib...all help for convenience. <BR>Harrod's food halls are fun to roam through...and the outdoor antique district is fun too (expensive but great stuff!) <BR>We brought the baby everywhere with us except pubbing and New Year's Eve dinner; otherwise we just took her everywhere we went...London doesn't have much that I found to amuse babies! <BR>Enjoy.

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Marcy

Roberta -- thanks for the info !

Old May 8th, 2001, 08:09 AM
David White

Hi Marcy, <BR> <BR>At age one, I suspect that your son will be a spectator, but not an active participant, in many of the sights and attractions that you will visit. Possible exceptions include the London Transport Museum, where there is a "fun bus" and occasional activities for the under-5 set. <BR> <BR>If you manage to get a nice day, the new Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens is fantastic for kids of all ages. In fact, London has many wonderful parks and playgrounds scattered throughout town. Similarly, if the weather turns untypical, the London Zoo has a great petting zoo for younger kids. <BR> <BR>As your trip approaches, you'll want to check on special events (and closings) associated with the holidays. Londontown.com has an events database that may be helpful as January gets closer. <BR> <BR>Babysitting MAY be on your adgenda, depending on your comfort level. Some hotels can arrange babysitting, and here is a contact for babysitting services in London (it is not a personal recommendation, since I have not used the service): <BR> <BR> http://www.babysitter.co.uk <BR> <BR>I agree with another person who posted a response that you should take a child carrier/backpack. Strollers are fine in some areas, but if you'll encounter steps in many places...a stroller tends to get in the way then. <BR> <BR>Please feel free to take a look at my website and/or contact me if you have specific questions. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>[email protected]

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:24 AM
marcy

Thanks for the info, David. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, all I have been hearing <BR>about is the terrible weather in London that time of year -- which is giving us pause to reconsider our vacation plans and visit London when the weather is more favorable. I did enjoy your site, though.