Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New Year's in London -- by myself, but not alone! Suggestions?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 08:35 AM
jpg

Hi all,

My travel buddy is now unable to meet me in London over the holidays, though I still intend to go.

So...I'll be there on New Year's Eve (28th til the 4th) by myself, though I'm completely comfortable showing up someplace alone.

Background: I'm 35, single and pretty social. I lived in Manhattan for years and know that lots of bars and restaurants have parties that you can just show up to. I thought I might just do that in London, too. Does this sound like a reasonable expectation?

I'll be looking at all the usual websites for info about arts things, too. If anyone has a good suggestion otherwise, please advise. Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Mark

Come up to Edinburgh...it's much more friendly and much more fun!!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:24 AM
kavey

I believe many venues in London do hold parties open to anyone BUT for many of them you would probably need to buy a ticket in advance or they may be sold out...

You _might_ be able to do that on arrival a couple days before but I don't know enough to know for sure.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:37 AM
traveller

There are rumours on another travel board about a 'do at Trafalgar Square, some sort of public party like in Times Square. Have fun.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Giovanni

Have you checked the London newspapers and tourist magazines for special New Years Eve activities? I think there's a paper called Time out (or something like that) that lists current entertainment ativities for the city.
I bet Ben Haines could provide a list of some local papers you could refer to...how about some help, Ben?
Cheers,
Giovanni

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Maira

I believed Ben might be already in Serbia on vacation.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:00 AM
whatson

Have a look at

www.londontown.com

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:18 AM
kavey

From what I hear that GTG in central London tends to be quite disappointing unless you are particularly into getting drunk out in the cold.

Because so many people aim for it anyway the transport ends up being crap too.

I have to admit, from what I hear, I think any other major city in UK would be better for New Years Eve alone than London.

Consider Edinburgh, Dublin, maybe even find out whats on in Manchester which has a much smaller city centre and friendly people. If there is an event on there I would choose that one.

Of course, I havent been to Trafalgar of a New Years Eve I cant say for sure, but living in London I hear a lot of people say its a disappointment and overrated.

Kavey

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Alice

My husband and I also will be in London for New Year's Eve and we have tickets for Starlight Express, which is playing at a theatre near Victoria Station. Does anyone know where we can get a good meal (either pre or post-theatre) that night, not too far from Victoria Station? As it is a big night, I suppose we should make advance reservations. Any suggestions?

Alice

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Ronald

McDonald's should have some seats open.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:12 AM
david west

A couple of points:

Firstly under no circumstances consider going to Trafalgar Sq. It's a complete and utter waste of time, full of people who will only go once. There is no entertainment, food or drink available. It can also get pretty rowdy.

I would also give the West End a complete body-swerve on that night as well. It will be packed full of unhappy people who can't get into anywhere, and you won't be able to get a cab.

Most of us native Londoners tend to go to our local pubs or parties. These are usually all ticket affairs, and this year the pubs have a 36 hour licence (ie they can stay open all night if they want). However if you're personable enough they will usually let you in.

You don't say whereabouts you will be staying. It would help to know this.

New Year is a much bigger deal in Scotland than England.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:26 AM
jpg

David,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, a local sort of place would be perfect. I would never consider going to one of those Times Square/Trafalgar Square events.

YOu ask where I'm staying: I haven't figured that out yet. You will see another post on this topic shortly, but ideally, I'd love to stay in a section that is sort of like New York's Upper West Side: a nice mix of lovely residential spaces, bars, restaurants and museums/subway access. Since I'll be by myself, that type of mix is important to me just so I can connect with others. Your neighborhood suggestions would be appreciated. From there, I thought I'd just walk around the neighborhood and pick a venue in advance...

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:57 AM
amy

jpg,

I noticed your other post and then this one-native Londoners who really know NY may correct me on this and there are probably other areas to consider as well, but personally, being from NY and now living here, I'd recommend South Kensington. South Ken is the name of the tube stop and it has great access to the Picadilly line which takes you to practically all the tourist stops and it is also the stop for the V&A museum (open on Fri. nights till 10pm-and usually a good spot for drinks in the entrance area), the Science museum and the History museum. It is also an easy bus ride from here (the #14) to the National Gallery, Hyde Park, etc. You can walk to Sloane Square from here and onto King's Road which is all part of Chelsea-a residential but very trendy, upscale neighborhood with lots of boutiques, restaurants and pubs. Fulham Road and Brompton road also have a fair share of shops.

Again, I'm sure there are other neighborhoods which would fill the same requirements, but I can only suggest what I know of!

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:52 AM
whynot

Why don't you hook up with Beth Anderson????