New Year's Eve in Europe

Aug 4th, 2001, 03:13 PM
arlene

New Year's Eve in Europe

Our family spent New Year's Eve in Vienna several years ago and enjoyed the outdoor festivities ending with fireworks over the Rathaus. Any suggestions for a similar experience?

Aug 5th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Mónica

In Spain, we also celebrate NEw Year's Eve outside. Our tradition is to eat 12 grapes just as the bell tolls(trying to keep with the rhythm). If you manage to do it, you'll be lucky all the year round. Although it is done all through Spain, the best party is in Madrid.

Aug 5th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Keith Legg

If you can stand a crowd, then Edinburgh is a good place to be especially if you can get tickets for Princes Street Gardens. There are fireworks from the Castle, and also from the surrounding hills, and usually big-name bands playing in concerts - last year was Moby, previous years have included Texas and Garbage. I would avoid the Princes Street only tickets - it tends to be overcrowded and not very nice.

One place to avoid at all costs is - surprisingly - London. Basically last year London Transport closed all the tube and rail stations at about 7.30 pm, killing off plans which the Mayor had laid to have a huge celebration. Nothing happened, and it will be the same again this year.

Aug 6th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Karen

We spent last New Year's Eve in Prague - it was wonderful. Lots of people in the squares, incredible music, etc. There were great street fairs set up. We are spending this New Year's Eve in Vienna - any suggestions?

Aug 6th, 2001, 09:47 AM
B

We were in Edinburgh last Hogmanay (New Year's Eve). In the ticket-only area (mostly Princes Street), there are several bands playing different typws of music. In the Ross Grandstand in Princes Street Gardens, El Vez ( a Mexican-style Elvis impersonator) entertained a crowd. The general atmosphere is friendly and, as the evening goes on, increasingly "merry". I didn't see any obnoxious drunks. There are many police officers around to help maintain a safe, festive atmosphere. We had dinner at the Tower restaurant before going to the street party. From the restaurant, we could see, but not hear-at least not from inside Moby perform on the Castle esplanade. We could have stayed there to watch the fireworks, but chose to godown to Princes street. The fireworks were magnificent. The City had them going off on seven different hills around the city, with the biggest display at the Castle. From where we stood, we could see fireworks at the Castle, Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat. If you decide to go to Edinburgh, you will have to make hotel reservations very soon. We stayed at the Carlton Hotel, which was very conveient for everything. My first choice was the Roxburghe Hotel, but it was closed over Christmas and so didn't suit us. If you go only for New Year's, I would highly recommend the Roxburghe.

Aug 6th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Barbara

Arlene: Sorry, I meant to include the web site address for you to keep an eye on. www.edinburghshogmanay.org. Also check out www.edinburgh.org for information about the City and surrounding areas.